New manager

KJT123

I think Remi Garde will come alone.

Don't think we will get his assistants as Lyon see it as destabilizing them in their own campaign (which you can understand). Money isn't everything.

Just hope he recruits the backroom staff properly if this were the case which I have a feeling is.

Assuming they do want to come, which they may not of course, then I'd imagine these assistants will want to do this in the right manner as I am not sure they will want to tarnish their reputations with Lyon and any future prospective employers for that matter. The Villa job for either a manager or coach is hardly a secure position or could be seen as long term.

I do think Remi Garde is going to need his preferred staff to come in with him though. He lacks experience as it is and needs to hit the ground running and that won't be helped if he also has to get used to working with unfamiliar staff alongside him.

This time last week I knew next to nothing of this guy and whilst I like what I am hearing I still think it is a huge gamble. I have heard some say it will take a miracle to keep us up. It won't. We are less than a handful of points from a couple of teams and have 28 games to catch them. It simply needs someone to come in and quickly get us organised and playing in a manner that gets the best out of the squad we have. I have doubts but I hope for all our sakes Remi Garde is that man.

Edited by markavfc40

Garde is no more of a gamble than almost any other manager we could realistically get.

To true, its gamble on someone we know will be pretty rubbish in the grand scheme of things...but with boring football should keep us in the league.

Or gamble with someone who has been known to do well in their own league and *might* do rally well in our league.  But at the same time, probably isn't going to he rubbish.

Both are gambles, **** it I'm feeling frivolous so let's gamble cwith the potential best we could realistically get.

Assuming they do want to come, which they may not of course, then I'd imagine these assistants will want to do this in the right manner as I am not sure they will want to tarnish their reputations with Lyon and any future prospective employers for that matter.

I'm almost certain they do want to come. Garde would have sounded them out when we first spoke to him. No way would we be this far down the line with Garde if his backroom staff didn't want to come here.

Also, I don't believe in loyalty when it comes to football. The cynical side of me thinks we're just negotiating compo now.

Or maybe it's already a done deal and will be announced after their champions league game midweek.

Would you take Mcleish if it meant we'd stay up? 

Nope.

If the choice had been mcLeish or Sherwood, I'd have gone with Big Eck all day long. 

But with the choice of manager out there, there's so much better.

• Like 2

Neil Ashton said yesterday that Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins was expecting us ro make an official approach for Garry Monk during the week.

We don't pay compensation for managers so doubt that but he would've been an interesting pick of the domestic candidates.

Really wouldn't want Monk. Don't get me wrong he's done a great job with Swansea but as others have already said, their success is based in part on their setup behind the scenes which stays constant regardless of who the manager is - I'm glad we appear to be going down that route as well as it'll be beneficial in the long run.

I agree. But it will only be beneficial if we stay up. We'll undergo even more cuts if we drop - if Lerner struggles to get us competing with top 10 teams in this league, he'll struggle to get us competing if we drop. It'll be another big clear out of players and possibly looking to sign players from the Crewe's and Sheffield United's again. If we get the right manager (for the first time under Lerner!) and stay up, we should have a good base to build from.

How many times have we said that in the last few years? I mean, I hope you're right, but pessimism consumes me. 

• Like 1

They are having a season relative to ours to be honest! With all that quality! They must be shot of confidence, the capitulation has been bizarre!

there is something really bizarre at Chelsea.....with their squad it flys in the face of anything logical.....it certainly suggests that attitude plays a bigger part than some of us admit too.

how can you win the league and then play like this the next season.....with arguably one of the best managers around.....the mind boggles.

we are just a worse version of it....without their quality.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Neil Ashton said yesterday that Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins was expecting us ro make an official approach for Garry Monk during the week.

We don't pay compensation for managers so doubt that but he would've been an interesting pick of the domestic candidates.

Yeah you are spot on. Apart for the compo we paid for Lambert, oh and McLeish and Houllier ;)

Houllier was a few euros flung at the French FA, Lambert had resigned from Norwich hadn't he, McLeish was one fair enough.

Garry Monk signed a new deal at Swansea recently didn't he so I'd imagine his release clause would be a lot higher than those three. Are we saying then he was a serious candidate considered by the board?

No I don't think Monk was but In fairness I don't think that was because of compensation. 

And yes Lambert quit for our job, but compensation was still paid. Besides there would be nothing to stop Monk doing the same but he was never a contender other than in the press.

Edited by TrentVilla

How many foreign managers have arrived and actually saved a team from relegation ?? If Garde comes , we go down anyway and then he disappears leaving us needing someone else another manager to get us out the Championship . Get Pearson in and at least he'll stick around next season 

How many foreign managers have arrived and actually saved a team from relegation ?? If Garde comes , we go down anyway and then he disappears leaving us needing someone else another manager to get us out the Championship . Get Pearson in and at least he'll stick around next season 

You're making quite a few assumptions there.

And why all the fuss over the fact that he isn't British? It's not as if our last 3 British managers have worked out well.

• Like 2

No I don't think Monk was but In fairness I don't think that was because of compensation. 

And yes Lambert quit for our job, but compensation was still paid. Besides there would be nothing to stop Monk doing the same but he was never a contender other than in the press.

O.k it was more in response to when O'neill walked out I read the vibe being we weren't interested in appraoching anyone in a premier league job otherwise surely we could've approach Martinez there and then rather than wait until the next summer.

Similarily we pot Lambert and just go for someone out of work rather than look to see someone else in a job e.g. like Palace approaching Pardew when he was still Newcastle manager and getting him.

West Brom are leading thanks to a well rehearsed corner, with Rondon heading in at the near post. What I can't understand is why both Lambert and Sherwood never showed more invention from our set pieces. If we know the team is poor from open play then surely free-kicks and corners take on an even greater importance? It's not like we don't have the players that can attack the ball from a corner.

I'm hoping that Garde and his team really look at the opportunities we throw away from set-pieces whilst they get to grips with the team and this league. We really must be one of the worst teams to convert from corners and free kicks?