Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

16 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

FFS those poor babbies.

What a shit world we live in, at times.

The US and Russia both allow the killing of children as an almost every day thing.  Pathetic countries and people to allow it to continue but they do.

• Like 2

The argument often is that Americans need to carry guns because other Americans are carrying guns. They need their gun in case someone starts shouting.

We only get a subset of these shootings in the UK media but I don’t recall ever hearing about a carrying American passer by stepping in and ending one of these things because luckily he had his gun with him.

Just now, Genie said:

The argument often is that Americans need to carry guns because other Americans are carrying guns. They need their gun in case someone starts shouting.

We only get a subset of these shootings in the UK media but I don’t recall ever hearing about a carrying American passer by stepping in and ending one of these things because luckily he had his gun with him.

They assume that if you have a gun they can all go full on hero mode. They don't. Full on cowards if you have a gun anyway.

Apparently the word removed was in a shootout with police before he got into the school. Seems he had body armour on so they couldn't bring him down. The logical answer is still stop people from having guns, but I bet the one offered is an arms race to get higher powered weapons into the hands of police. 

• Like 1

Now confirmed 19 children dead, and 2 adults. 

I feel sick.

Nineteen young children and two adults have died in a shooting at a primary school in south Texas.

The gunman opened fire at Robb Elementary School - which teaches children aged seven to 10 - in the city of Uvalde before he was killed by law enforcement, officials said.

The 18-year-old suspect had a handgun, an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle and high-capacity magazines, investigators say. 

The teenager is suspected of shooting his grandmother before the rampage.

Link

Edited by Genie
  • Sad 1

A total of 19 kids and two teachers dead. 

Just watched the Steve Kerr clip. Just listen to that man, DC. Please just listen to him.

I wouldn't worry guys, this'll be forgotten next week.  Why not distract yourselves with Ukraine, the continuing joke that is the UK government, the Royals etc?  It's way less depressing. 

This is what you get when politicise key things.  I'm sure the forefathers of the United States would be proud of things like this.  A young and continually stupid, yet amazing country.  

can you believe this.  No guns allowed at NRA rally

https://jezebel.com/the-nra-is-banning-guns-for-trumps-appearance-at-its-up-1848973074O

On Friday, May 27—which will be three days after the horrific mass shooting at Robb Elementary School that killed 18 children and three adults—the National Rifle Association will meet in Houston, Texas, for their annual meeting. Donald Trump is scheduled to speak at their “leadership forum,” where guns will not be allowed.

You can have your gun at other events during the three-day convention; but if you attend the forum with Trump, NRA’s Executive Vice President, NRA-ILA’s Executive Director, and “our nation’s top Second Amendment supporters,” per NRA’s event announcement, then you will be prohibited from exercising your God-given, Second Amendment right to bear arms.

• Haha 1

27 school shootings so far this YEAR.

I kind of want Biden to do a national address and rather than offer condolences, just say 'I can't stop this unless you give me a mandate. This will 100% carry on until there is gun reform, and I can't do that unless 50% of you let me. American voters- It's YOUR fault this is happening. You are killing your kids.'

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I kind of want Biden to do a national address and rather than offer condolences, just say 'I can't stop this unless you give me a mandate. This will 100% carry on until there is gun reform, and I can't do that unless 50% of you let me. American voters- It's YOUR fault this is happening. You are killing your kids.'

true as that may be, that'll be just a reason for FOX to say  he's politicising this tragedy (which they are already doing). + 'give me a mandate', he's not up for election. Midterms in november could change something, but I doubt it will be in the direction of the democrats.

2 minutes ago, AXD said:

true as that may be, that'll be just a reason for FOX to say  he's politicising this tragedy (which they are already doing). + 'give me a mandate', he's not up for election. Midterms in november could change something, but I doubt it will be in the direction of the democrats.

I was talking about a 'broad will of the people' mandate, but I know you are right. People are just f**king hopeless, and prone to causing their own demise. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

He has a mandate, the overwhelming majority of Americans want more regulation on gun ownership.  He has control of both houses and the Presidency.  The problem is absolutely not the willingness of the public to go along with new gun legislation, it is 100% that the political classes (Democratic and Republican) are there to do the bidding of their donors, not the people they are supposed to represent.  It would be an act of cruelty and utter hypocrisy to turn around to the American public and pin this on them.  The people are let down by a corrupt system that is these days by design anti-democratic.

It's not one man one vote, it's one dollar one vote.  The more dollars you have, the more your vote counts.

It's the same with all the legislation coming out against abortion.  The right to let women choose has support of around 70% of the American population, but with Democratic everything at the top of government it is being banned over many states.

Public support is not a problem, politicians being money grubbing aholes not remotely interested in actually representing the wishes of the people who elected them is.

1 minute ago, Straggler said:

He has a mandate, the overwhelming majority of Americans want more regulation on gun ownership.  He has control of both houses and the Presidency.  The problem is absolutely not the willingness of the public to go along with new gun legislation, it is 100% that the political classes (Democratic and Republican) are there to do the bidding of their donors, not the people they are supposed to represent.  It would be an act of cruelty and utter hypocrisy to turn around to the American public and pin this on them.  The people are let down by a corrupt system that is these days by design anti-democratic.

It's not one man one vote, it's one dollar one vote.  The more dollars you have, the more your vote counts.

It's the same with all the legislation coming out against abortion.  The right to let women choose has support of around 70% of the American population, but with Democratic everything at the top of government it is being banned over many states.

Public support is not a problem, politicians being money grubbing aholes not remotely interested in actually representing the wishes of the people who elected them is.

Let me ask you then. Whoever was in power at present, Trump, Obama, whoever. If they enacted gun reform would they win the next election? 

If the answer is no, then the public are right front and centre of this issue, not just the NRA. 

• Like 1

Â