Gun violence in the USA

Marka Ragnos

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Bad I know but I'm often a little disappointed when this thread gets bumped and there hasn't been a mass shooting.  I quite like sitting in front of the news for an hour or two watching things unfold.

Sweepstake on the first "thoughts and prayers"

17 hours ago, villa4europe said:

yeah it is but in order to try and put themselves above the number Manchester often turns itself in to greater Manchester, throwing in salford, bury I think Oldham and maybe even bolton

And Wigan and Trafford and ...

• Like 1

Some guy in a big pickup truck intentionally came really close to hitting me as I made a turn. I called him an asshole as I passed him. I noticed in my rearview that he turn around and followed me into a parking lot where I was heading. Flew up behind me and jumped out of his truck. I probably should've driven away but I let him walk up to my door where he proceeded to challenge me to a fight, etc. Big fat angry guy in a macho truck in Maine. The entire time I was thinking he may have a handgun on him. You can legally carry a concealed handgun in Maine. So I talked him down a bit, just enough to make a difference I guess. I drove off. A younger Maqroll would've been tempted to step out of the car. But in the current climate in this country, I made the right decision, 100%. Still would've liked to have fought him dirty and taken my baseball bat to his headlights.

On 10/07/2019 at 09:40, LakotaDakota said:

The heyjackass site still updates Chicago.

101 people shot so far this month and we're only 10 days in. 

Someone is shot in Chicago every 3 hours 21 minutes.

For reference the population of Chicago is pretty much the same as Manchester at around 2.7 million.

https://heyjackass.com/category/chicago-crime-2019/

July to Date
Shot & Killed: 10
Shot & Wounded: 91
Total Shot: 101
Total Homicides: 12

Chicago Crime 2019

Week in Progress (7/7 – 7/13)
Shot & Killed: 2
Shot & Wounded: 24
Total Shot: 26
Total Homicides: 3

Chicago Crime 2019

Year to Date
Shot & Killed: 240
Shot & Wounded: 1113
Total Shot: 1353
Total Homicides: 264

They even have radio from July the 4th which is usually a compolete shitshow thanks to too much booze & sun. Starts to get fun at about 2 hours 48 mins in or shortly after hitting play below. Proably NSFW as there is some language

All the police do in Chicago is react. Mayhem.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The latest one was something like the 250th mass shooting in the USA this year.

Madness.

Been 231 shootings in the last 72 h if you count those where "only" 1 person or more were shot apparently.

11 hours ago, sne said:

9 mass shootings in the US in the last 3 days.

The 2 worst took place in California where so far 8 people have died

Gilroy is ~40 miles from my home.  A co-worker told me she had planned to go to the garlic festival yesterday but decided against it because it was too hot.  The heat may have saved her life or at least kept it from being permanently changed.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, sne said:

if you count those where "only" 1 person or more were shot apparently.

Pfff only one person was shot? That's not even a thing in the US. You need 20+ kids dead for people to break out the super effective, all curing thoughts and prayers. 

• Like 2

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. If we want to stop commies shooting up fetes and festivals then we have to arm the stall holders.

It’s the only sensible solution.

Just as a quick update to the Chicago figures i mentioned earlier in the month. Crazy really for one smallish city.

July 10th figures : One shooting every 3 hours 21 minutes
Shot & Killed: 10
Shot & Wounded: 91
Total Shot: 101
Total Homicides: 12

Today : One shooting every 3 hours 13 minutes

Shot & Killed: 39
Shot & Wounded: 269
Total Shot: 308
Total Homicides: 44

Edited by LakotaDakota

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Chicago ... one smallish city.

It's not "smallish" - it's the 3rd biggest in the US, isn't it? nearly 3 million people.

But yeah, still carnage

2 hours ago, blandy said:

It's not "smallish" - it's the 3rd biggest in the US, isn't it? nearly 3 million people.

yep but its really small for growth

its not quite Detroit but I thought Chicago was getting left behind in the states, maybe due to social factors making it seem a lot worse than it is and seeing as it was Obama's city it does seem strange

The Garlic shooter had bought his gun earlier this month in Nevada where the age limit is 18. His gun purchase would not have been possible in his home state of Cali, where the age limit is 21.

Freedom!

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

yep but its really small for growth

its not quite Detroit but I thought Chicago was getting left behind in the states, maybe due to social factors making it seem a lot worse than it is and seeing as it was Obama's city it does seem strange

Chicago downtown has(?)/had masses of money going in, an awful lot of it after 2008 when their hometown president was in office. They are in a huge spot of bother now. Both the city itself and the state government (in a much sorrier mess) are in big financial holes. It also seems that the Mexican/central American cartels have taken root there and use it as a northern distribution base. There is no quick fix coming for any of these problems and as such the have been hemorrhaging residents (tax payers!) in recent years. They are getting worrying close to that vicious circle phase. 

• Like 1

Â