The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

2 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I am not having a go or anything but I think that is a bit harsh,  it's a combination of things I think.  The choice they have,  where they live and what they do.  I don't think everyone is as evil as you think.  In an ideal world people who vote would all watch the 10 oclock news and newsnight and take notes and make a balanced choice on the information they have collected.  Unfortunately that is not where we are at but to gain power,  the majority you describe would need to vote for Labour.  You sound like you don't want their votes becasue of what they are or who they have voted for historically ? 

I'd normally be fully in agreement with what you're saying here. However, with this particular Tory government I think it is difficult to see how anybody can look at what they are doing and think that is something that they want to vote for. The people at the top seem to be incompetent, terrible human beings or a mixture of the two yet people still see that as what they want to vote for.

It genuinely amazes me that they have so much support still. I remember when Trump was elected in USA there was a lot of "only in America" type comments from a large number of people. I look at what we have elected and seemingly would continue to elect and I'm not convinced we're much better off over here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are lots and lots of people who think right-wing policies are basically right and that right-wing things should happen. It's not a mystery, and you shouldn't be surprised by it. They get about 14 million votes every election (nowadays; at their very, very lowest they got more than 8 million votes).

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

It genuinely amazes me that they have so much support still

Risk aversion and the status Quo,  what you know is a big part currently.  Yes,  it is amazing but it's not all about policies.  Labour might create a portfolio of policies that are outstanding with no downsides and they still won't win IMO.

Coming out of a Pandemic,  the grass might be greener but the might not care at the moment and just want to get through it.

"Boris is doing the best he can"

"It's not Brexit it's the pandemic"

"The Tories are still fixing Labour's mess left behind in 2010"

"Labour are too woke and give 5 bed detached houses to illegals"

Yada yada

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I am not having a go or anything but I think that is a bit harsh,  it's a combination of things I think.  The choice they have,  where they live and what they do.  I don't think everyone is as evil as you think.  In an ideal world people who vote would all watch the 10 oclock news and newsnight and take notes and make a balanced choice on the information they have collected.  Unfortunately that is not where we are at but to gain power,  the majority you describe would need to vote for Labour.  You sound like you don't want their votes becasue of what they are or who they have voted for historically ? 

Never said they were ALL evil. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

lots and lots of people who think right-wing policies are basically right and that right-wing things should happen

Just to use that line as the starting point for a brain think. I mean what do we have, now? We have pretty much nationalised rail. We've got humungous levels of debt compared with history. We've got spiralling wages for some of the more manual and skilled jobs (HGV drivers etc.) We've got the government paying to keep industries going (CO2/fertiliser), we've left the EU, the government is using the military to do logistics, the government talking about rising wages as their aim, we've had the state supporting workers through furlough. There's food shortages - It's all like a bit of a Corbynite wet dream and it's all because of the Tories.

30 minutes ago, blandy said:

Just to use that line as the starting point for a brain think. I mean what do we have, now? We have pretty much nationalised rail. We've got humungous levels of debt compared with history. We've got spiralling wages for some of the more manual and skilled jobs (HGV drivers etc.) We've got the government paying to keep industries going (CO2/fertiliser), we've left the EU, the government is using the military to do logistics, the government talking about rising wages as their aim, we've had the state supporting workers through furlough. There's food shortages - It's all like a bit of a Corbynite wet dream and it's all because of the Tories.

The difference being that under Labour, some of that would have been planned for and hopefully then well thought out and strategised.

Under the current regime, this is all a fallout of incompetence and a complete and utter lack of planning and preparation.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, blandy said:

The politics we have now is very obviously not a 'Corbynite wet dream'.

The country's an absolute state.

The ruling party are knee deep in Russian money, then used Covid as an excuse to stuff our tax money into their chums' pockets for defective goods and services at grossly inflated prices.

Thousands died before the NHS got them out of trouble. Now they're breaking up and privatising the NHS. 

All those services lost to austerity, everything from help for the disabled and vulnerable to flood defences, whilst our leaders and their clique swerved tax.

Of course we know politicians lie, but we're actually in Aldridge Prior territory now, it's beyond mental. The Biden Rutte meeting proved he'd lie to anyone about anything.

Will the Tory/Brexit voters hold their leaders to account, or share the deepening shame history will bestow upon them?

Up to them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Xann said:

The country's an absolute state.

The ruling party are knee deep in Russian money, then used Covid as an excuse to stuff our tax money into their chums' pockets for defective goods and services at grossly inflated prices.

Thousands died before the NHS got them out of trouble. Now they're breaking up and privatising the NHS. 

All those services lost to austerity, everything from help for the disabled and vulnerable to flood defences, whilst our leaders and their clique swerved tax.

Of course we know politicians lie, but we're actually in Aldridge Prior territory now, it's beyond mental. The Biden Rutte meeting proved he'd lie to anyone about anything.

Will the Tory/Brexit voters hold their leaders to account, or share the deepening shame history will bestow upon them?

Up to them.

CON +5

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

There are lots and lots of people who think right-wing policies are basically right and that right-wing things should happen. It's not a mystery, and you shouldn't be surprised by it. They get about 14 million votes every election (nowadays; at their very, very lowest they got more than 8 million votes).

14 million votes for the Conservatives/right-wing parties != 14 million people who think right-wing policies are basically right.  Don't get it twisted.

12 minutes ago, bobzy said:

14 million votes for the Conservatives/right-wing parties != 14 million people who think right-wing policies are basically right.  Don't get it twisted.

No, I'm not saying it is equal. In fact there are many millions more people who think right-wing policies are basically right, probably about 30 million or so.

• Like 1

Â