The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

I wonder how much of the problem is jobs that literally can not be done remotely, versus ones where management have sat on their hands for 18 months without enabling their staff to work more flexibly.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

versus ones where management have sat on their hands for 18 months without enabling their staff to work more flexibly.

This is an absolutely huge part of the problem. To be clear I'm not saying people working from home are shirking. It is definitely the problem in the departments of the councils we have to work with. We even suggest to them solutions that will cost nothing and it all goes in one ear and out of the other. They just come up with illogical reasons why the solution won't work.

12 minutes ago, bickster said:

He's not talking about companies, he's talking about public employees

There are huge backlogs of work in the public sector caused by home working. Whether that be Passport Office, Home Office, DVLA, local councils and they are just the ones I know about

I'm not defending what he's said but I think it's wrong not to acknowledge that there isn't an issue too, there most definitely is an issue in the Public Sector, some places like our local council are barely functioning and they don't seem to even have a semblance of a plan to get back to some sort of approximation of normality. It's causing a real problem for companies like the one I work for.

Local council here are offloading their big town centre offices as they push home working long term.

Edited by Genie

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is an absolutely huge part of the problem. To be clear I'm not saying people working from home are shirking. It is definitely the problem in the departments of the councils we have to work with. We even suggest to them solutions that will cost nothing and it all goes in one ear and out of the other. They just come up with illogical reasons why the solution won't work.

Some of it is funding - people working from home need company/council computers and so on - councils can't afford to buy 10s or hundreds of new laptops and screens and whatnot for staff, they are all absolutely skint because of funding cuts. And the remote network log ins - my Co. has (and already had, in the before times) a whole secure infrastructure around accessing data protected/security classified documentation and so on - councils don't. More costs.

And then there's stuff like "office" furniture for people's homes - ergonomic chairs or whatever. Another cost...and so on.

It needs central government funding, and they won't.

1 hour ago, bickster said:

There are huge backlogs of work in the public sector caused by home working. Whether that be Passport Office, Home Office, DVLA, local councils and they are just the ones I know about

I'm not defending what he's said but I think it's wrong not to acknowledge that there isn't an issue too, there most definitely is an issue in the Public Sector, some places like our local council are barely functioning and they don't seem to even have a semblance of a plan to get back to some sort of approximation of normality. It's causing a real problem for companies like the one I work for.

Kind of missed the point. I wasn't saying there isn't an issue with some companies working from home. In fact i specifically said the opposite. 

It's the generalisation that people who work from home are part of this "woke" generation that people like him hate

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Our house got delayed due to home-working. They weren't allowed to take documents home, and they only worked from the office 1 day a week, essentially changing their functional working hours from 5 days a week to 1.

I don't blame the employees, I blame the management 100%

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Kind of missed the point. I wasn't saying there isn't an issue with some companies working from home. In fact i specifically said the opposite. 

It's the generalisation that people who work from home are part of this "woke" generation that people like him hate

He wasn’t commenting about all people who work from home, he was making a lame joke about the workers in the public sector being left wing. 

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

He wasn’t commenting about all people who work from home, he was making a lame joke about the workers in the public sector being left wing. 

He is commenting about all people working from home, the Conservatives are very annoyed about people working from home because it's costing big landlords huge amounts of money. The reason he talks about civil servants specifically is that that's the part of the workforce the government can compel, bully or cajole directly, but make no mistake, he doesn't think Joe Bloggs Office Worker should be at home either.

It is *also* an exceedingly lame joke.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I always thought you gossip about stuff that goes on in the office? Like a dirty trap nr 2 after someone's been in, or a guy who made out with the girl from accounts during the lunch break.

How can you gossip about Maggie if she works from home? ''Maggie, that little bitch, would you believe what she's done? She wants to take the kids to school herself, what a slut'.

14 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I have enjoyed listening to Lord Frosty complaining bitterly about the NI Protocol and that is unworkable, when he was the UK representative to the EU on this.

Why hasn’t he been fired or relieved of his duties? 

He had a go at it, **** it up, and he’s still there complaining about his own mess.

It’s pretty unlikely the EU will want to renegotiate, but the chance is absolutely zero when it’s the same guy who cocked the last one up. At least put someone else into that job so he/she can distance themselves from what has gone before and then try and find a better solution for all parties.

33 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I always thought you gossip about stuff that goes on in the office? Like a dirty trap nr 2 after someone's been in, or a guy who made out with the girl from accounts during the lunch break.

How can you gossip about Maggie if she works from home? ''Maggie, that little bitch, would you believe what she's done? She wants to take the kids to school herself, what a slut'.

You surely don't think it's impossible to gossip about people over Zoom?

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why hasn’t he been fired or relieved of his duties? 

He had a go at it, **** it up, and he’s still there complaining about his own mess.

It’s pretty unlikely the EU will want to renegotiate, but the chance is absolutely zero when it’s the same guy who cocked the last one up. At least put someone else into that job so he/she can distance themselves from what has gone before and then try and find a better solution for all parties.

Because he is mates with Bojo.

17 minutes ago, Xann said:

When Pandora's figures are crunched and added to previous leaks, wouldn't it be interesting to see how much tax was swerved in the UK by the parasite class over the Austerity period?

It appears putting offshore in your companies name and activities is very good for your bottom line. Who'da thunk it?

Â