The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

26 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

I guess that's fair. If people have higher wages they'll be able to buy better anti-cancer drugs after health care is privatised. 

It's nice of him to confirm the Tory policy towards Covid has always been wealth before health. We all thought that anyway...

• Like 2

spacer.png

…and remember, this is the very same prick, that a couple of weeks ago, made two announcements on the same day. Firstly, that the world had to ‘grow up’ and face the realities of climate change, and secondly that it was great that Brits were allowed to fly to DisneyLand again.

The man is a nightmare. 

• Like 4

In plain sight, Boris Johnson is rigging the system to stay in power...

... It doesn’t sound like us. We like to tell ourselves that we live in a mature democracy, our institutions deep rooted. Political competition is brisk, never more so than at this time of year, as one party conference ends and another begins. This is not a one-party state. All it would require is Labour to get its act together – to which end it made a decent start this week – and, with a fair wind, the Conservatives would be out.

It’s a consoling thought, but not a reliable one. Almost unnoticed, perhaps because it’s done with an English rather than a Hungarian accent, our populist, nationalist prime minister is steadily setting out to weaken the institutions that define a liberal democracy: the ones that might act as checks and balances on him. And he’s moving, Orbán style, to make it ever harder for his government to lose power.

Grauniad

This article brings together a number of issues that have been raised by others.

You'll get greater detail from the likes of the Secret Barrister, who's been yelling from the rooftops about what the Tory Filth are trying to push through.

Edited by Xann
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I actually think wage growth would be fantastic . . . it's not that cancer and other health outcomes aren't also very important, but people in this country have seen flat or declining real-terms wages for a very very long time now, and it has had hugely negative effects on our politics and economy. If the Conservatives actually did lead to real-terms wage growth, that would be great, but wage increases are nominal, not real, because they are less than the rate of inflation, as Marr (for once doing his actual job) correctly points out in this clip:

Notice how Johnson's 'rebuttal' doesn't actually rebut the point being made.

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

It hardly ever does. Standard modus operandi

Tells you a lot about his estimation of the British political media IMO, that he didn't think they would be able to pin him on the real v nominal point. Sadly his low estimation is pretty much entirely correct.

• Like 1

Stroke of absolute luck there for my local tory MP.

The company that gave him £15,000 to be an advisor has been awarded some contracts without having to tender.

Lucky bugger, he should buy a scratch card.

£60,000 a year top up over his MP salary for being an advisor to a few companies.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

…and remember, this is the very same prick, that a couple of weeks ago, made two announcements on the same day. Firstly, that the world had to ‘grow up’ and face the realities of climate change, and secondly that it was great that Brits were allowed to fly to DisneyLand again.

And then quoted Kermit the Frog.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I actually think wage growth would be fantastic . . . it's not that cancer and other health outcomes aren't also very important, but people in this country have seen flat or declining real-terms wages for a very very long time now, and it has had hugely negative effects on our politics and economy. If the Conservatives actually did lead to real-terms wage growth, that would be great, but wage increases are nominal, not real, because they are less than the rate of inflation, as Marr (for once doing his actual job) correctly points out in this clip:

Notice how Johnson's 'rebuttal' doesn't actually rebut the point being made.

In addition to not challenging hard enough about the ONS stats, Boris waffling about "finally" seeing growth in wages, which have been "flatlining for the last 10 years" should have seen Marr pointing out that the last decade has been under the Tories. Therefore this flatlining is a huge failing of a Conservative government by Boris' own admission.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

7c4c.gif

What a word removed.

Such an old fashioned dinosaur view that people working from home don't do anything.

I'd wager most companies have seen no difference or even an increase in productivity with people working from home. And if they haven't then fair enough, get them back in the office.

But don't tar everyone with the same brush

On 03/10/2021 at 09:15, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

The man is a nightmare. 

Labour would have said worse 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

What a word removed.

Such an old fashioned dinosaur view that people working from home don't do anything.

I'd wager most companies have seen no difference or even an increase in productivity with people working from home. And if they haven't then fair enough, get them back in the office.

But don't tar everyone with the same brush

He's not talking about companies, he's talking about public employees

There are huge backlogs of work in the public sector caused by home working. Whether that be Passport Office, Home Office, DVLA, local councils and they are just the ones I know about

I'm not defending what he's said but I think it's wrong not to acknowledge that there isn't an issue too, there most definitely is an issue in the Public Sector, some places like our local council are barely functioning and they don't seem to even have a semblance of a plan to get back to some sort of approximation of normality. It's causing a real problem for companies like the one I work for.

Â