Aston Villa Home Support

Gary Thomas

On 17/09/2016 at 22:33, One For The Road said:

I heard them say that too. And we 'only 'took 2k because that's all we were given. We sold out. Again. Incredible considering how dire we are and the prices/distances involved.

Yeah, we're great at travelling.  I'm in Nottingham and would happily go to Derby, Forest, Burton, Sheff Wed, Rotherham maybe Barnsley away but can't get a ticket for love nor money (possibly could for Barnsley, but I can't make it anyway :angry:).

1 hour ago, Gary Thomas said:

The Newcastle game is a massive opportunity to kick-start our season.  Crowd looking decent and hopefully everyone is fired up.  Last time we played them at VP the place was absolutely rocking and that was a 0-0 with sod all to play for.  This game matters.  Hoping every Villa fan in the ground gets behind the boys from start to finish.  Let's make VP loud and hostile, take 3pts off the barcodes and start climbing this f**king table.   

Looking on the OS I don't think the attendance will be great for this, baring in mind capacity is down to 37k this season, there's still quite a bit of availability. I think it could only be a thousand or two more than the Forest game.

7 hours ago, AvfcTheObsession said:

Looking on the OS I don't think the attendance will be great for this, baring in mind capacity is down to 37k this season, there's still quite a bit of availability. I think it could only be a thousand or two more than the Forest game.

i think you're right. Forest was 30½ thousand so I reckon this will be around the 34k mark?  I know that's decent with us being on TV and all that, but part of me still wishes a few more fans would get themselves down to VP to support the boys. A packed Vila park is something to behold and it gets me buzzing every time, especially when the support is fired up. I can only imagine that would help our players too. I know the last few years have been awful, and recent results and high prices all work against a packed VP, but I would still love it to happen. Hopefully, those days are not too far off if we can get our act together on the field!

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

i think you're right. Forest was 30½ thousand so I reckon this will be around the 34k mark?  I know that's decent with us being on TV and all that, but part of me still wishes a few more fans would get themselves down to VP to support the boys. A packed Vila park is something to behold and it gets me buzzing every time, especially when the support is fired up. I can only imagine that would help our players too. I know the last few years have been awful, and recent results and high prices all work against a packed VP, but I would still love it to happen. Hopefully, those days are not too far off if we can get our act together on the field!

The only way we are going to get more in the ground than we are now is by winning some games and moving a long way up the league.

You could say the fans have played more than fair this season on the back of the last few seasons. First two home games averaged over 34k. Forest had it not been a lunchtime kick off on the box would have been around the same. Brentford due to poor results if not performances was the reason I think for the first time we saw a real drop off.

I think the supporters over the last 5/6 years of decline have in the main been excellent given the dire gutless crap served up pretty much week in week out over that time. I think to get more through the door or to get a better atmosphere the ball is in the players court. Give us more to get behind and you will get more through the door and more vociferous backing.

I have had a season ticket for 29 years but I can fully understand why some have chosen to stay away. In fact I think it is remarkable more haven't.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gary Thomas said:

The only times Villa Park ever sells out, other than v Blues, is against Man United, Arsenal and Liverpool.  We have won about 3 of those fixtures in the last 20 years. For some reason the packed Villa Park atmosphere doesn't seem to help us.

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

The only times Villa Park ever sells out, other than v Blues, is against Man United, Arsenal and Liverpool.  We have won about 3 of those fixtures in the last 20 years. For some reason the packed Villa Park atmosphere doesn't seem to help us.

You trying to tell me when we play Utd the Chinese guy sat in the lower holte with the half and half scarf who films the game on his iPad  doesn't help us to win?

;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

Because 10k are in the home end.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

34k in the championship is not to be laughed at. Only Newcastle themselves get more than that. Some parts of the ground on Saturday will be pushing £40 which is ridiculous, so some will just watch it on tv.

Wish people would stop banging on about Newcastles attendance. If they had another few teams in the city like most cities do they'd probably have the same stadium size as St Andrews.

Both Villa and Newcastle have had constant sh&t over the course of the last five years but still turn up in large numbers home and away.

Newcastle do have a very good following. The city is approximately 1/4 the size of Brum. So 50 odd thousand each week is impressive...

As for us we are very well supported anyone who argues otherwise is either on the wind up or an idiot!

2 hours ago, IwishIwasalivein1982 said:

Wish people would stop banging on about Newcastles attendance. If they had another few teams in the city like most cities do they'd probably have the same stadium size as St Andrews.

For a team that has been basically poor for quite a while now, getting 50k as an average attendance is impressive.

You can attribute that to Newcastle being an isolated city if you want (although the population is, what, 300k compared to Birmingham's 1.4m?) but they're filling 95% of their stadium over the course of a season whilst we're filling about 77% of ours.

To me it's simple and I'm amazed people aren't realising.....

The crowds were great for Rotherham and Huddersfield. Main reason imo it was 25 quid or around that in pretty much every area of the ground.

Forest and probably tomorrow less so due to it being 35 quid in those same seats.

To have category A games in the championship is laughable. There are no world class teams or opposition players at this level, Forest had half a team I'd never heard of and that was a category A game.

I have no idea if Lerner and board set the prices as a last act or if it's the new board but if Dr Tony wants to really get VP rocking and create a feel good factor it would be fantastic if he came out and said every single home game left this season would be a maximum of 25 quid to get in.

We'd hardly go bust reducing prices by 5-10 quid. Compared to most teams at this level we are rolling in cash.

• Like 2

I agree, there are a massive core (and we're lucky as a club to have that core) that will buy tickets no matter what because it's very high in their priorities/they have enough money not to care. I would say that is basically the season ticket crowd though and the rest go when they can make it and afford it. If they made it £25 max and under 14s free... We'd have very good figures as families could come and not have to break the bank to bring the kids.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, VillaChris said:

To me it's simple and I'm amazed people aren't realising.....

The crowds were great for Rotherham and Huddersfield. Main reason imo it was 25 quid or around that in pretty much every area of the ground.

Forest and probably tomorrow less so due to it being 35 quid in those same seats.

To have category A games in the championship is laughable. There are no world class teams or opposition players at this level, Forest had half a team I'd never heard of and that was a category A game.

I have no idea if Lerner and board set the prices as a last act or if it's the new board but if Dr Tony wants to really get VP rocking and create a feel good factor it would be fantastic if he came out and said every single home game left this season would be a maximum of 25 quid to get in.

We'd hardly go bust reducing prices by 5-10 quid. Compared to most teams at this level we are rolling in cash.

Forest was a Sunday lunch time KO on TV  This would have had a big impact on the crowd. Seeing as the crowds gave been roughly the same it shows we have a core base of 25-30k who will attend regardless. Using the price as a reason not to attend doesn't really stack up when you compare other teams price levels in this division. Quoting £35 for Forest doesn't take into account that those are for the best seats. You can easily get cheaper ones in the ground so pricing isn't an issue. We also have the parachute money at the minute but if we don't go up we will soon start to need gate revenue very quickly. 

Â