Aston Villa Home Support

Gary Thomas

5 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Exactly.

You have clearly stated that the lack of songs has a negative effect on the atmosphere. But you are not saying that that negatively effects the performance? 

Your post said that our lack of songs was "an issue". What issue would that be?

Edited by One For The Road

16 hours ago, sidcow said:

I disagree because I think he did react. He took off a striker at half time to boost the midfield and took off another to boost the defence towards the end. Whatever else you can level at RDM tonight he did react. 

I think the players did let us down unless he was literally telling them to stop attacking and slow the game down,  waste time at every opportunity and defend really deep.

He replaced an injured striker with a LB playing out of position. He tried to play the same system. Why not bring on a natural winger? That's not a reaction that's making a bad forced decision. The last sub was a reaction I'll give you that but I'd say it was more to do with Gestede having a mare. He should've made changes earlier. Kodija needed to be up front. We needed more in centre midfield. Brentford had run the show for over half an hour before he reacted. He also should've brought Jedinak on at 2-1 on Sunday. It's the little things. Hopefully it's just a couple of mistakes. Sunday I blame the players for not being out of sight last night I blame RDM. 

I think our support, given everything that's happened over the last 5 or 6 years, is bloody good. The atmosphere from home fans is pretty dull across the whole of English football, it's certainly not just us that are a bit quiet on a Tuesday night against Brentford.

30k for a Championship game a few days after getting 33k for a live sky match is pretty decent I reckon.

The game was one of the worst spectacles I have ever witnessed at Villa Park and so it's no surprise that the atmosphere was dull and at times a little toxic.

Edited by One For The Road

Regular 30k attendances, with pretty much all our away games selling out (including 5.5k away at Preston) is almost unbelievable considering our situation. When / if the team gels and starts winning games I can see that increasing to 36k+.

Yes the atmosphere is dull, but what do you expect? We have only won a handful of home games in the past 2 seasons. At the moment when we take a lead / play well in the first half we all know and can see what it going to happen.  If the team gels and if we start winning games and have "hope" everything will change. 

On 15/09/2016 at 15:56, One For The Road said:

The game was one of the worst spectacles I have ever witnessed at Villa Park and so it's no surprise that the atmosphere was dull and at times a little toxic.

Whooh there- really? Don't you remember 2/19 last season? Liverplop match? Bradford at home?  We scored a cracker and now unbeaten in 5 at home. Given the last few years that is heady days for us.

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Whooh there- really? Don't you remember 2/19 last season? Liverplop match? Bradford at home?  We scored a cracker and now unbeaten in 5 at home. Given the last few years that is heady days for us.

Liverpool played well that day. Villa beat Bradford 2-1 in the other game you mentioned.

I'm talking about a dire spectacle of a game with absolutely awful "quality" from BOTH sides.

The Liverpool game was he earliest I've ever left VP, only usually leave until injury time and we're 2 goals down, I left as soon the 3rd went in that day, it was horrific 

pro be fair I've seen some shit games vs decent teams, I'd also say in terms of quality the games vs blues are usually shocking and like I said before it's usually the kick off times that get me rather than the football, can remember playing Utd at 5.30 on a Saturday winter night when it was bastard freezing and I really didn't want to be there, Stoke at 4pm on a Sunday...forest at 1pm on a Sunday...

We could argue all day about the worst game at villa park over the last few years, there has been that many. We are definitely the worst performing home side in the country over the last 5 years. We won't sell out every away game this season but only Newcastle will take more away this season. Our home support this season has been good so far. 29k against Brentford midweek, three days after we got 30k against forest for a televised game at a stupid KO time on a Sunday morning. I'm sorry but early KOs always have shit atmospheres and the forest game was not as cheap as it could of been. Also if Brentford had sold out their tickets it would of been pushing 31k on Wednesday night. Regardless of form this season we will average 30k plus which is good going. Games in the championship come round thick and fast and it's not exactly cheap.

apart from Newcastle who get superb crowds you want to look at some of the crowds Leeds, sheff weds, Sunderland  got when they first came down. This club has been rotten for 6 years now so how do we expect things to all of a sudden become better. It takes time and I believe we have the right people at the club to take us in the right direction. So let's stay with the club and keep turning up.

• Like 4

I have only ever left a Villa game early once and that was last season as a form of mass protest. It's not for me. 

What I cannot wrap my head around is against both Forest and Brentford is that people left around 80 minutes when we've won one game of football in about 68 years. Very strange. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I have only ever left a Villa game early once and that was last season as a form of mass protest. It's not for me. 

What I cannot wrap my head around is against both Forest and Brentford is that people left around 80 minutes when we've won one game of football in about 68 years. Very strange. 

Probably couldn't stomach the inevitable late equalizer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I dunno if Newcastle will take more away tbf, today's 2k I think which is the first low turnout, think we've sold 5k to Barnsley and Preston 

They will for sure. Yeah we sold out today and were the best fans to visit Portman road in a long time according to their lot.

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

They will for sure. Yeah we sold out today and were the best fans to visit Portman road in a long time according to their lot.

I heard them say that too. And we 'only 'took 2k because that's all we were given. We sold out. Again. Incredible considering how dire we are and the prices/distances involved.

Having followed Villa for near 40 years home/away and in Europe I can say that generally speaking we are not the most vociferous home support- clearly there is/was/will always be  exceptions to this- Tranmere semi- being a classic case in point just one example - local derbies another, however once on the road I have always thought of us as being a very noisy and fervent set of supporters.

On 19/09/2016 at 22:02, Dave J said:

Having followed Villa for near 40 years home/away and in Europe I can say that generally speaking we are not the most vociferous home support

Every single English club has crap fans at home generally.  The ultras thing Palace have going is kind of cool but even there it's 3 and a half stands of complete silence.

18 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Every single English club has crap fans at home generally.  The ultras thing Palace have going is kind of cool but even there it's 3 and a half stands of complete silence.

Couldn't agree more and I also think it goes in cycles- trust me I've been to Palace when it was a library.

The Newcastle game is a massive opportunity to kick-start our season.  Crowd looking decent and hopefully everyone is fired up.  Last time we played them at VP the place was absolutely rocking and that was a 0-0 with sod all to play for.  This game matters.  Hoping every Villa fan in the ground gets behind the boys from start to finish.  Let's make VP loud and hostile, take 3pts off the barcodes and start climbing this f**king table.   

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

Â