Aston Villa Home Support

Gary Thomas

19 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I've seen a few references to this.  What was sung?  Were the lyrics changed? I don't understand how it fit's our position specifically or am I missing something?

Ta

It just came on the PA straight after the game and everyone started singing along.  It was a nice moment, but not a song I think we should adopt.

1 minute ago, Wainy316 said:

It just came on the PA straight after the game and everyone started singing along.  It was a nice moment, but not a song I think we should adopt.

I guess it's as good as anything.  Gotta be better than Delilah!

Only issue I have is that Oasis are very firmly linked with Citeh   

It's a pretty Anthemic song though.  I would grab at anything which means we don't have to sing Holte Enders in The Sky 48 times a game

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I guess it's as good as anything.  Gotta be better than Delilah!

Only issue I have is that Oasis are very firmly linked with Citeh   

It's a pretty Anthemic song though.  I would grab at anything which means we don't have to sing Holte Enders in The Sky 48 times a game

100% agree with bit in bold.  Said before, we need to inject some new chants/songs to create a more sustained atmosphere. Barnsley was great, but we soon got through our repertoire and then we were just repeating few old favorites.  Holte Enders in The Sky and Villa, Villa and shit on the City only get you so far when you have 90+ minutes fill.  We have lost loads of chants with players/managers leaving but we don't seem to be replacing them.  How many good player chants have we got right now?  Doesn't matter one iota to me if its don't look back Anger, Hi ho silver lining, The bells are ringing, Stevie Bruce's claret and blue army or Boom Boom Boom let me say Ayew.  The songs we sing are the vehicle through which we support our club and team and anything that helps create a more sustained atmosphere gets my support. Anything.  I even joined in with that Icelandic Bruce, Bruce, Bruce at Reading, which weren't bloody good I can tell ya, but it supports the team so you do it.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

we need to inject some new chants/songs to create a more sustained atmosphere. Barnsley was great, but we soon got through our repertoire and then we were just repeating few old favorites.  Holte Enders in The Sky and Villa, Villa and shit on the City only get you so far when you have 90+ minutes fill.  We have lost loads of chants with players/managers leaving but we don't seem to be replacing them.  How many good player chants have we got right now?

I think it's two different things, or three, even.

There have been times and grounds where there's been a fantastic atmosphere, even though the home team has, like, 2 songs - Elland Road used to be a bit of a cauldron, at one time, despite them only having 2 songs. Newcastle once upon a time, too. with just  few songs.

But if a team becomes good and plays well then fans start to really bond with their players, and then they think up new songs.

I don't think there's a club anywhere that's basically pants, that has a wide range of songs.

And like I said at the start, it's not different songs really, it's just noise, that creates atmosphere when a side is attacking and the team's fans are all shouting and roaring encouragement - it doesn't need to be a 33 verse ditty.

Or more briefly - don't worry about it.  It'll happen if the team even remotely starts to be not an utter embarassment, if we start an upwards climb instead of stinking the place out all the time.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, blandy said:

I think it's two different things, or three, even.

There have been times and grounds where there's been a fantastic atmosphere, even though the home team has, like, 2 songs - Elland Road used to be a bit of a cauldron, at one time, despite them only having 2 songs. Newcastle once upon a time, too. with just  few songs.

But if a team becomes good and plays well then fans start to really bond with their players, and then they think up new songs.

I don't think there's a club anywhere that's basically pants, that has a wide range of songs.

And like I said at the start, it's not different songs really, it's just noise, that creates atmosphere when a side is attacking and the team's fans are all shouting and roaring encouragement - it doesn't need to be a 33 verse ditty.

Or more briefly - don't worry about it.  It'll happen if the team even remotely starts to be not an utter embarassment, if we start an upwards climb instead of stinking the place out all the time.

I agree we don't need loads, wasn't trying to suggest we do.  And we certainly don't need a 33 verse ditty - have to admit I had to look that up!  I think Sheffield Wednesday's "We're on our way" is a good example of how one good chant can create a hell of an atmosphere. Unfortunately, we don't have anything like that just now and I think it hampers our support a little bit - although we still generate a very good atmosphere as you say.  I do think this kind of thing is important and it is something we should care about and be trying to resolve; to help the team make the upwards climb you mention. Maybe now we've won a game, a few more will follow and we will hear some new songs being belted out on the terraces soon.

Edit. been to Elland Road a few times in the 1980s we always out sung Leeds - probably because we won.  That said, we paid for it when we were coming out :)

Edited by Gary Thomas

5 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I think Sheffield Wednesday's "We're on our way" is a good example of how one good chant can create a hell of an atmosphere

Yeah, agreed Gary. It's coincided with Wednesday turning from utter bobbins into pretty decent last year and now this year, too.

I should have said, perhaps I'm supportive if people come up with new songs or whatever, my point was just generally that it tends to happen naturally and we don't need to stress about currently only singing a few.

27 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah, agreed Gary. It's coincided with Wednesday turning from utter bobbins into pretty decent last year and now this year, too.

I should have said, perhaps I'm supportive if people come up with new songs or whatever, my point was just generally that it tends to happen naturally and we don't need to stress about currently only singing a few.

I agree and that's the conundrum I suppose. We can't create new chants through social media or forums, it has to happen naturally in the bars, concourses or wherever a few, perhaps slightly inebriated, fans happen to assemble and be singing. I am sure that was where the line 'Dr Tone went to Rome in a Ford Mondeo' was born - you'd have to be a bit pissed right?  I bet if you asked the 4,000 fans before Reading, 'what do reckon to us all singing 'Don't look back in anger' after the game if we win?'  90% or more would have said no way, just like there are now fans on Twitter and here saying no.  But we win, the adrenaline is pumping and there we all are singing our heads off without a care in the world about the lyrics or where it originated from.  So a long round about way of me saying I agree with you completely.  But can someone in a bar, concourse or wherever get slightly inebriated and get to work are create some good'ns for us to sing! Ta.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Please god no, anything but an Oasis song. This is Birmingham. We need to stop all this Manchester worship that the press keep bashing us with. Singing such a Manchester song? Ugh.

LOL. Get a grip.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Please god no, anything but an Oasis song. This is Birmingham. We need to stop all this Manchester worship that the press keep bashing us with. Singing such a Manchester song? Ugh.

In theory I'm sort of with you but name one song by a brummie band that 5000 plus people would know all the words to? I'd love us to all sing the chorus to 'Come on lets go' by Birmingham's best modern band, broadcast. However I doubt more than one of them 5k travelling fans have ever heard it! 

28 minutes ago, romavillan said:

In theory I'm sort of with you but name one song by a brummie band that 5000 plus people would know all the words to? I'd love us to all sing the chorus to 'Come on lets go' by Birmingham's best modern band, broadcast. However I doubt more than one of them 5k travelling fans have ever heard it! 

Nice if we could sing that

download.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

God who honestly cares if they are from Manchester. This unites the fans so no complaints from me. 

• Like 2

Â