Aston Villa Home Support

Gary Thomas

2 hours ago, KSV said:

To be honest i am glad we are playing away this weekend. Crowd was quiet and unnerving. You could hear the tension through the radio commentary! You could even hear Golllini yelling to come out for a cross. Ridiculously quiet.. Players got nervous. They shouldnt though. If they cant handle some pressure at this club they should just go and sign for Chester. 

Nothing wrong with the atmosphere at Chester mate, I was there for the day they got promoted out of the conference ten years ago and it was electric. Even on an average game at the Deva they make more noise than we made for 85% of the match last night.

Dead doesn't begin to describe it.

Edited by HanoiVillan

10 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Absolute silence all game bar the first ten minutes and Kodjia's goal. Might as well have been playing in a library. 

Obviously the performance did not help but I have to agree. So many fans just sit quietly these days - they're all around me in the lower Holte and it kills the atmosphere because you are often singing with no one around you. The other issue is our repertoire of chants has become very small and, if we're honest, a bit crap. A few of shouts of Yippi Aye Eh Oh, which lasts for what - 30 seconds?  Followed by a rendition of 'Villa, 'Villa, Villa", 'Dr. Tone went to Rome', 'shit on the City' and 'Paul McGrath my Lord' and we're basically done and things tail off.  Better and longer chants would help to create a more sustained atmosphere IMO.  Sadly, we have jettisoned some classics (the bells are ringing etc) without replacing them with anything  decent.  Our player chants have also diminished with the turnover and we still (i am ashamed to say) do not have a chant for  Ayew. Unfortunately, most fans don't seem to care or have any appetite to address this problem; the chants thread tells you how much apathy and disinterest there is. But look on the forums of other clubs and you will see thread after thread creating new chants.. I wish there was a way for the club or fanbase to organize itself to address this, but I don't think there is enough will to do it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gary Thomas said:

Obviously the performance did not help but I have to agree. So many fans just sit quietly these days - they're all around me in the lower Holte and it kills the atmosphere because you are often singing with no one around you. The other issue is our repertoire of chants has become very small and, if we're honest, a bit crap. A few of shouts of Yippi Aye Eh Oh, which lasts for what - 30 seconds?  Followed by a rendition of 'Villa, 'Villa, Villa", 'Dr. Tone went to Rome', 'shit on the City' and 'Paul McGrath my Lord' and we're basically done and things tail off.  Better and longer chants would help to create a more sustained atmosphere IMO.  Sadly, we have jettisoned some classics (the bells are ringing etc) without replacing them with anything  decent.  Our player chants have also diminished with the turnover and we still (i am ashamed to say) do not have a chant for  Ayew. Unfortunately, most fans don't seem to care or have any appetite to address this problem; the chants thread tells you how much apathy and disinterest there is. But look on the forums of other clubs and you will see thread after thread creating new chants.. I wish there was a way for the club or fanbase to organize itself to address this, but I don't think there is enough will to do it.

A-f**cking-men.

We've had shit songs for a while. Does anyone actually know the original words to yippi aye eh? Because if I'm right that was an old 70s terrace chant sang by us but nowadays all we do is the yippi aye eh part. Man united fans are the top dogs for making new songs up, they make us look very small time.

12 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

We've had shit songs for a while. Does anyone actually know the original words to yippi aye eh? Because if I'm right that was an old 70s terrace chant sang by us but nowadays all we do is the yippi aye eh part. Man united fans are the top dogs for making new songs up, they make us look very small time.

As I walked down to Villa Park one dark and dusty day,

I spied a poor old City fan running far away,

I said to that poor City fan, it looks like you must die, ‘Cuz you have seen the glory of … Holte Enders in the sky

Yippeeeiiiaaa, yippeeeiiiooo Holte Enders in the sky

We chased him through the terraces, we chased him down the streets,

But little did that City fan know that death must be his fate,

‘Cuz Villa fans rule Birmingham and city fans know why,

‘Cuz they have seen the glory of…. Holte Enders in the sky

Yippeeeiiiaaa, yippeeeiiiooo Holte Enders in the sky

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

for as long as i can remember we've had around 5 player songs but about 10 blues songs

out of the current squad we've got - 

jack grealish - super jack

ross mccormack - super ross

tommy elphick - super tom

:(

at least its replaced "theres only one..."

that bacuna bhuna chant, gabby, rudy, kozak and then cissokho, hutton and ayew have chants that nobody really knows and never get sang

that means gollini, chester, de laet, amavi, richards, baker, tish, westwood, gardner, jedinak, lyden, kodija, green, without a chant and i dont know about adomah yet

2 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

years of shite + shite kick off times

i wasnt in the mood for it on sunday and didnt go last night

i can just about get going for saturday 5.30 kick offs but other than that i struggle to get excited with non saturday 3pm games

agree about paul mcgrath my lord being dropped, that was sang in the first minute of every game for years, not sure why it died out

said it many times and still believe it the brigada lot down by me do absolutely nothing for atmosphere, no one knows their songs and i personally cant sing european cup winning songs whilst watching us losing at home to utter garbage teams

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

for as long as i can remember we've had around 5 player songs but about 10 blues songs

out of the current squad we've got - 

jack grealish - super jack

ross mccormack - super ross

tommy elphick - super tom

:(

at least its replaced "theres only one..."

that bacuna bhuna chant, gabby, rudy, kozak and then cissokho, hutton and ayew have chants that nobody really knows and never get sang

that means gollini, chester, de laet, amavi, richards, baker, tish, westwood, gardner, jedinak, lyden, kodija, green, without a chant and i dont know about adomah yet

I think Amavi has a chant (ain't nobody).  Jedinak and Adomah both have possible chants from their old clubs. Singing those three alone would help things.

56 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It's Ghost Riders in the Sky by Johnny Cash.

Which my and my Dad laugh about because Villa fans actually get the words the wrong way around. It's "yippie aye oh, yippie aye eh".

Sums it up. Our repertoire is dog sh*t.

1 minute ago, Farlz said:

The atmosphere last night was definitely the worst so far this season, so quiet. Good job the Brentford bunch were fairly noisy.

Well they have to give the fans something to cheer about and they havent much thus far. They have to do better than last night they were pants

Just now, gilbertoAVFC said:

It's Ghost Riders in the Sky by Johnny Cash.

Which my and my Dad laugh about because Villa fans actually get the words the wrong way around. It's "yippie aye oh, yippie aye eh".

Sums it up. Our repertoire is dog sh*t.

And the way we sing it sounds f**k all like Ghost Riders in the Sky which sort of misses the point.  I posted somewhere else, if we actually sang it like the actual song the chant would sound x10 better and would last longer.

1 minute ago, Gary Thomas said:

And the way we sing it sounds f**k all like Ghost Riders in the Sky which sort of misses the point.  I posted somewhere else, if we actually sang it like the actual song the chant would sound x10 better and would last longer.

Are we seriously having a dig at the fans for not having better songs? Maybe we should hire Andrew Lloyd Webber to write some new lyrics for us. Then we will shoot up the league as if having good players was irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

Are we seriously having a dig at the fans for not having better songs? Maybe we should hire Andrew Lloyd Webber to write some new lyrics for us. Then we will shoot up the league as if having good players was irrelevant. 

I think you've missed the point.  People are discussing the home support and the repertoire of chants 'we' sing. Read the thread. Nobody, apart from you, has suggested a link to performance or league position. Supporting the team is important and the chants we sing are the primary vehicle for that.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

I think you've missed the point.  People are discussing the home support and the repertoire of chants 'we' sing. Read the thread. Nobody, apart from you, has suggested a link to performance or league position. Supporting the team is important and the chants we sing are the primary vehicle for that.

Really? This is what you posted:

So many fans just sit quietly these days - they're all around me in the lower Holte and it kills the atmosphere because you are often singing with no one around you. The other issue is our repertoire of chants has become very small and, if we're honest, a bit crap. A few of shouts of Yippi Aye Eh Oh, which lasts forwhat - 30 seconds?  Followed by a rendition of 'Villa, 'Villa, Villa", 'Dr. Tone went to Rome', 'shit on the City' and 'Paul McGrath my Lord' and we're basically done and things tail off. 

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

Really? This is what you posted:

So many fans just sit quietly these days - they're all around me in the lower Holte and it kills the atmosphere because you are often singing with no one around you. The other issue is our repertoire of chants has become very small and, if we're honest, a bit crap. A few of shouts of Yippi Aye Eh Oh, which lasts forwhat - 30 seconds?  Followed by a rendition of 'Villa, 'Villa, Villa", 'Dr. Tone went to Rome', 'shit on the City' and 'Paul McGrath my Lord' and we're basically done and things tail off. 

Exactly.

Â