Aston Villa Home Support

Gary Thomas

18 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Twice this season, once at home and once away, I have sang TBAR from start to completion, both verses, and not a single person has joined in. Sorry bud, I think it's dead. 

That's such a shame, always one of my faves and a Villa classic. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Maybe I got a couple of the words or the pacing wrong, people scoff at that kind of thing. 

I suppose every section of society has its pedants. I tend to follow the melody rather than the words personally; if the Holte started singing 'blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah' to the tune of 'my old man...' Then I'd still sing all the words. But that is a much less complex chant obv.

Well done for trying to start it though, I haven't heard it for years. 

11 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I suppose every section of society has its pedants. I tend to follow the melody rather than the words personally; if the Holte started singing 'blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah' to the tune of 'my old man...' Then I'd still sing all the words. But that is a much less complex chant obv.

Well done for trying to start it though, I haven't heard it for years. 

I might be being a bit disingenuous, I was pissed at Bristol and I'm rather loud, so maybe didn't hear anyone join in. I'll try again Tuesday, if this cold doesn't ruin my voice. 

My other favourite one is "We are the famous, the famous Holte End". Whenever you hear that emanating from L3 it's probably me! "We are the Holte" has taken off this season thanks to the lads in L2. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Well I am in L3 and if i hear you (Dave) or anyone sing TBAR I will join in.  Be such a shame for it to just disappear. That one is part of our history and we have a ready-made chant that would sound great IF we all sang it. Maybe we should start a 'save TBAR thread' or something.  If there were enough people interested - I am assuming there are still quite a few who would like to bring it back - we could meet in the concourse or somewhere before a game, or at half time, and belt it out a few times. Might catch on  Or maybe target a section to get it going in the Holte.

The other one I always liked but never here any more is "Villa score, Villa score...." -  would be apt given we are trying to get to the play-off final at Wembley

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

Always loved Nigel spink rolls the ball to platty

Is sung in the Lower. I hear My Old Man Said quite a bit? 

@Gary Thomas I always assumed that was what Brigada were for, turns out they're too self important and intentionally exclusive. Maybe we could engage the club and get something going, even if it's something silly like lyrics to TBAR on the seat before a game. Make it OUR anthem again. 

People might think that's a bit small time, but it happens at a lot of clubs and once it is going nobody really cares how it grew. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Is sung in the Lower. I hear My Old Man Said quite a bit? 

@Gary Thomas I always assumed that was what Brigada were for, turns out they're too self important and intentionally exclusive. Maybe we could engage the club and get something going, even if it's something silly like lyrics to TBAR on the seat before a game. Make it OUR anthem again. 

People might think that's a bit small time, but it happens at a lot of clubs and once it is going nobody really cares how it grew. 

I'd be happy to get involved in anything that encouraged us to sing it again tbh. It would be interesting to run a little survey on here to see how much appetite there actually is. We may be pushing against a closed door in which case we are wasting our time, but if enough people were genuinely supportive (i.e. people want us to sing this again) we could contact the club and ask them to promote it.  That said, if lots of people are supportive we should probably just commit to sing it!  Should be easy enough to spread the lyrics around via social media!  Can't do it now but shall I try and set up a little survey in the week?

Edit. I have just posted a 'bells are ringing survey' - be interesting to know what people think.

Edited by Gary Thomas

The club made a big play on TBAR about 5 years ago...it was remixed as a walk out tune.

It wasn't a success and was dropped after a few months.

It's a classic unique song but probably doesn't translate well into the modern crowd that like quick, short chants.

They did - I remember singing it on the steps of the Holte with a couple of hundred like minded folks.

We were hopeful they'd support it as a supporter lead thing, let the singing be the song as it were - but it got meejard to death and became a horrid jingle.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Gary Thomas said:

Not about the "home" support but worth a share. It really is incredible. 425 days since our last away win and look at that, the best away attendance in the Championship. Imagine if we actually started to play well and win a few.....

Ct_y8g6XYAExhZd.jpg:large

thats nearly 1 goal every 300 miles :P

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Will be comfortably 30k plus again tomorrow which given the poor results for such a sustained period I think it is remarkable how well our support has held up. We get a lot of stick for being fickle but I think the opposite and that we have been been patient and loyal as shown by us still turning up in big numbers, in fact huge numbers away from home.

I sense there is so much pent up frustration and desire to want to see us start getting the results that can take us back where we all want to be. Give us a few wins and something to really get behind and this whole club will lift off.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 4

I hope every single one of you going makes some noise.. get the place rocking. New manager.. team will galvanize with the crowd and lead us to victory! Come on you Villa!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

Â