Aston Villa Home Support

Gary Thomas

49 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Just watching the pres conferences with Tommy Elphick and Ross McCormack.  Very noticeable how they both kept talking about how critical the support will be this season. Lets get the place rocking again and show them what it means to us. 

Elphwick must really value fan support.  He kept rousing our fans up every time we had a corner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

First half support was very poor today - got a bit better when we scored.  5/10

It was quite muted today but I have seen that numerous times for a lunch time kick off. I do think there is an tenseness in the ground at the moment though and fans are on edge until we score.

Another 30k+ crowd is good going but we need to string a good run of results together quickly or I can see attendances dropping off to around 27k.

33 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It was quite muted today but I have seen that numerous times for a lunch time kick off. I do think there is an tenseness in the ground at the moment though and fans are on edge until we score.

Another 30k+ crowd is good going but we need to string a good run of results together quickly or I can see attendances dropping off to around 27k.

Maybe the lunch time kick off, and maybe the fact that we have come back after a long break, played a part as well, but is was quiet in the Holte.  Tbh I think it was more apathy than tension, but I get what you mean. I actually think our limited repertoire of chants doesn't help.  It's getting worse. We need a few more player chants to support and acknowledge  players' extra efforts.  Ayew was tremendous today and I didn't hear his name sang once!  The same with McCormack who scored.  That's just poor support on our part really, we should be backing and acknowledging players.  That's our job as the '12th man'.

Edited by Gary Thomas

38 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Maybe the lunch time kick off played a part - maybe also the fact that we have just come back after a long break, but is was unusually quiet.  I think it was more apathy than tension tbh, but I get what you mean. I actually think our limited repertoire of chants doesn't help.  It's getting worse. We need more player chants to support and acknowledge  players' extra efforts.  Ayew was tremendous today and I didn't hear his name sang once!  The same with McCormack who scored.  That's just poor support on our part really, we should be backing and acknowledging these players IMO.

Edited by Gary Thomas

51 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Maybe the lunch time kick off played a part - maybe also the fact that we have just come back after a long break, but is was unusually quiet.  I think it was more apathy than tension tbh, but I get what you mean. I actually think our limited repertoire of chants doesn't help.  It's getting worse. We need more player chants to support and acknowledge  players' extra efforts.  Ayew was tremendous today and I didn't hear his name sang once!  The same with McCormack who scored.  That's just poor support on our part really, we should be backing and acknowledging these players IMO.

The McCormack chant was sang after he scored.

I thought once we scored the first until the time they equalised the atmosphere was really good. Overall I think there is still a hangover from last season amongst supporters though. We are all desperate for us to win games and with that does come some tension until we score. I also think at times our build up is a little slow and ponderous and that adds to frustrations. Second half we were much better and getting it forward quicker and certainly when Gestede came on. I'd like to see us up the tempo and get the ball forward quicker and I think that would get the crowd going.

Wednesday under the lights I think the atmosphere will be much better. Not sure if it will break 30k again though.

Edited by markavfc40

15 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Commentator for BeIn Sports kept saying it was eerily quiet in the ground. On the TV all I could hear were the Forest fans.

The camera was right next to the forest fans, from the Holte I think I heard them once all game.

First ten minutes I thought we were loud, then it went quite for a bit, last ten of first half was loud again. Second half was quiet especially when forest scored. Then there was a heavy tackle from someone and this roused the crowd.

I thought it was very flat from the beginning. The recent results have already affected the crowd,  our confidence in the team is so brittle because of years of awfulness leading to last year's ultimate horror show. 

If we win a few and it becomes a regular thing the crowd will come with us. 

What horrifies me is that I can't truly lose myself in the joy of seeing Villa score as I have done for 30 years on the Holte. I clap and stand up but in me heart I just don't get excited because I believe wholeheartedly that it's going to go wrong any minute now and that's exactly what happened today. I hate myself for it but I just can't really get up for it. I can't be ozone,  we have been brow beaten for so long they inner joy has died.  I just want it back and only a run of wins will do that. 

Edited by sidcow

It was awfully quiet from the start. Probably the quietest I've heard it for a TV match. Odd.  

The attendance was a lot lower than expected as well at 30,800. Most were saying 35k pre-match. And this is with Forest taking their whole allocation.

Edited by Holtern8

16 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Yeah, that was very evident again, the first Forest attack was perfect example of that. We came flying out the blocks again and battered them for the first 10 mins, then on 13 mins, they pumped a long ball forward which resulted in their first corner and you could literally feel the anxiety around the place. It was practically the first time they had been in our half.

I do think that after the last few years us fans have developed a losing mentality. Now just to be clear, that isn't a pop at the fans, i feel the same myself when I'm down there, its just that we have come to expect the worse i suppose. The club has tried to change that mentality by practically replacing every single player, not that easy to change the mentality of the fans though, we still bare the scars of the last 6yrs. 

20 hours ago, Holtern8 said:

It was awfully quiet from the start. Probably the quietest I've heard it for a TV match. Odd.  

The attendance was a lot lower than expected as well at 30,800. Most were saying 35k pre-match. And this is with Forest taking their whole allocation.

That is quite frankly, total nonsense.  I can think of many games in the prem era with worse atmospheres than that even under MON- Fulham every year for example. When we got the 2 goals it was rocking. Over 30,000 on a televised game for a second division game?- I think that is very good. We got worse attendances under Lambert for 3 pm Saturday kick offs!

If we ever actually go on a run and win a few games the crowds will flock back. 

• Like 1

Â