Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

IT'S **** SEPTEMBER!

If we are still in this position come Christmas then we should panic, but for now there is no reason to be overly worried.

Look at the fixtures we've had, then look at our league position. Now look at our upcoming fixtures and tell me you're not worried.

Ok I'm telling you I am not worried.

I was one of the few on here who was convinced we would stay up last season as I believed we had better players than at least three sides. That just about proved to be the case.

This season I believe we have potentially the best squad we have had over the last four seasons. Four seasons when we stayed up.

Before a ball had been kicked I was expecting us to finish between 11th and 14th so either just outside or in the bottom third of the table. Nothing I have seen so far has changed that opinion as armed with the knowledge we had 12 new players and a relatively new manager and coaching team to bed in I always felt it would take a while for things to click and so it is proving.

I feel for those panicking just over a handful of league games into the season I really do as it could well be a very long 8 months they have ahead. For what its worth I don't think it will be however as I am confident come April we will be well clear of the bottom 3.

• Like 2

Personally, the quality of the opposition, whilst useful for some comparison, is relatively unimportant in my belief we're... well screwed!

If you look at Blues or Liverpool game, despite differences in their quality, the point is Villa have shown so little quality, so little fight and so little evidence of a game plan or tactic nous from Sherwood that massive alarm bells are going off.

Like someone mentioned previously, there's little point complaining about it now as there's nothing we can do until January. As for blame it still surprises me that there is any debate; the management has all changed, the players have all changed so there's only one constant and it's our waste of space, underinvesting chairman. Nothing will change until their is investment in the squad and we haven't had any in five years.

We will be adrift by Xmas, no doubt in my mind. This squad isn't strong enough, we haven't picked up points where we've needed them and the fixtures only get harder from here. The only question is whether Lerner will react in January, but I doubt it. Ah well, I'll enjoy being a bigger fish in a smaller pond for however many years we're outside the Premier League and take solace in the fact Lerner will have lost millions.

Lets look at the fixtures and as people are making a big deal of the table then we should take it as sacred. We have played 4 of the top 10 including the top placed team plus a local derby and away on 1st day to a newly promoted team.

We have also not been badly in any game so its not like we are far away, every defeat has been by 1 goal and this will turn especially as its a new squad

Most of the teams we have played will not finish in the top 10. Cut the bullshit let's not pretend that teams like Leicester and Palace are better than Chelsea. We have had great fixtures and have not got the results. 

Lets look at the fixtures and as people are making a big deal of the table then we should take it as sacred. We have played 4 of the top 10 including the top placed team plus a local derby and away on 1st day to a newly promoted team.

We have also not been badly in any game so its not like we are far away, every defeat has been by 1 goal and this will turn especially as its a new squad

Most of the teams we have played will not finish in the top 10. Cut the bullshit let's not pretend that teams like Leicester and Palace are better than Chelsea. We have had great fixtures and have not got the results. 

sure if you expect us to be getting 6 points at Leicester and Palace then I think you might be a bit delusional

both are not easy places to go too

sure if you expect us to be getting 6 points at Leicester and Palace then I think you might be a bit delusional

both are not easy places to go too

1 point from Sunderland (H), WBA (H), Leicester (A) and Palace (A) is disgraceful 

• Like 1

Just did a little run through of what I would have expected so far this season.

Bournemouth - Draw

Man Utd - Loss

Crystal Palace - Loss

Sunderland - Win

Leicester - Draw

West Brom - Win

Liverpool - Loss

Double the amount of points we actually have and I don't think those results are unreasonable.

• Like 4

I think we'll be in a battle again, but don't think we'll go down. I believe our squad is better than previous years and it will settle.

Its tough right now with the results we have had, but I see some light at the end of the tunnel in the shape of Adama, Gana, Grealish and Gestede.

• Like 2

IT'S **** SEPTEMBER!

If we are still in this position come Christmas then we should panic, but for now there is no reason to be overly worried.

Look at the fixtures we've had, then look at our league position. Now look at our upcoming fixtures and tell me you're not worried.

In every game we have played we could have gotten more from the game. I see progress and believe we will stay up (easily). If by Christmas we are in the bottom three and cut adrift then I'll be worried.

• Like 1

If results go against us next weekend we could be five points from safety. Just an illustration of how grave things are looking right now, and of how important the Stoke game is.

Edited by useless

I'd just like us to set up to attack. sure as s-hit can't defend. may as well have a go from the off. At least that would entertain us and give us some hope. Liverpool were not in a good state prior to our game and under pressure, The crowd could have turned with just a little encouragement. Setting up to contain played right into their hands. Giving them encouragement to get on the ball and try things. we conceded straight away, which can happen and sucks. That happened when we had a back 4, we then had a back 5 for a bit. pretty much saying have the effing ball. 

Tim's right. we do look better on the front foot. wasn't that how he got the much needed results when he came in? 

There's a lot of games to go and we defo can play a lot better. I'm not saying go completely gun-ho but even when we lead if we sit deep we're screwed. we're just not good enough at it! be it, individual errors, giving away silly set pieces out of panic or just wilting to the constant pressure when we surrender the fight to dominate the ball.  

One of the greatest things about having young players with ability is that they have no fear. great antidote for that is being in the bottom 3. At the same time i do believe with a couple of wins confidence can serge through this lot and we'll look completely different. Hope that happens sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

IT'S **** SEPTEMBER!

Ok I'm telling you I am not worried.

I was one of the few on here who was convinced we would stay up last season as I believed we had better players than at least three sides. That just about proved to be the case.

This season I believe we have potentially the best squad we have had over the last four seasons. Four seasons when we stayed up.

Before a ball had been kicked I was expecting us to finish between 11th and 14th so either just outside or in the bottom third of the table. Nothing I have seen so far has changed that opinion as armed with the knowledge we had 12 new players and a relatively new manager and coaching team to bed in I always felt it would take a while for things to click and so it is proving.

I feel for those panicking just over a handful of league games into the season I really do as it could well be a very long 8 months they have ahead. For what its worth I don't think it will be however as I am confident come April we will be well clear of the bottom 3.

I agree. For the most part we've played better football this season than the last few, and we definitely have a better squad. Sherwood is feeling the pressure and is probably a little more scared to lose games at the moment - understandably. But if you look at the table and consider that it's only September (October next game of course) I'm really not too worried yet. Through Xmas I expect us to be playing better and playing as we mean to go on. I also expect Sherwood to have improved. He's still a young manager, but i'd say the squad clearly like him judging from Grealish's celebration the other week. The teams around us have really strengthened though, this league is so tough. 

Edited by tomh621
wanted to add more
  • Like 1

Â