Rudy Gestede

midian

There were a lot of games last season where Benteke played like this either because of our or their tactics.

Anyway he hold the play good and pass it well. Flashes of quality even after this whole performance. We missed the creative spark.

• Like 1

Gestede was MUCH better last night than Benteke in the cup final. That performance was atrocious. At 2-0 he just went aaaahhh **** it, I'm done.

I never did calm down in time to have a proper rant about that, or the game at all in fact, but I felt violated emotionally that day.

Am I really seeing this guy being written off after playing around 60 minutes for us in total, and grabbing a winner in that time? It's obvious he isn't as good as Benteke and we would have had to shell out the best part of £30-40 million if we were looking for that sort of immediate impact. Sherwood is building a squad that doesn't revolve around having one or two star players and if Gestede can chip in with 10 or so goals this season and grab a few more winners in the process he will have done a cracking job IMO. I'm not going to look too much into the fact he didn't score against Manchester United in the 30 minutes he had on the pitch.

It's not writing him off if you tell it like it is. He was really useless, so slow I wanted to cry.

I expect better from him, and believe yesterday was not his real level.

I know absolutely nothing about Gestede aside from what I have seen in these past two matches, but if this is all Gestede can do, we might be in trouble with our strikers. I thought Gestede would play more like Benteke, but that just doesn't seem to be the case at all. He looks like Peter Crouch when the ball is at his feet. Really seems to be only a one trick pony, and if Sherwood wants his wingers to act like inside forwards, then Gestede will be misused. I hope Grealish, Gil, Bacuna, and Amavi can be used to cross the ball into him much more because against United, we didn't even attempt to cross the ball aside from one occasion which was Gabby.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Does the fact he's stopped Kozak playing have any sway on your opinion of him?

• Like 3

Am I really seeing this guy being written off after playing around 60 minutes for us in total, and grabbing a winner in that time? It's obvious he isn't as good as Benteke and we would have had to shell out the best part of £30-40 million if we were looking for that sort of immediate impact. Sherwood is building a squad that doesn't revolve around having one or two star players and if Gestede can chip in with 10 or so goals this season and grab a few more winners in the process he will have done a cracking job IMO. I'm not going to look too much into the fact he didn't score against Manchester United in the 30 minutes he had on the pitch.

It's not writing him off if you tell it like it is. He was really useless, so slow I wanted to cry.

That first sentence makes me want to cry.

...........It is much too early for harsh judgments on players.

how would any of the Top four perform with half the team new faces, all replaced half way through the closed season and the 3 best playmakers not able to play.

Give TS & the players a chance.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

That first sentence makes me want to cry.

How about the third sentence, any better?

I had very good impression from him. The worry is how would he deal with players taller the him as Smalling ?

Although he wasnt bad in aeral duels even with him.

He's taller than Smalling and I thought Smalling gave him a real hiding. I think Gestede won one header out of around six or seven.

I'm obviously not going to write him off based on that one performance, absolutely not, but I hope he's a much better target man than what we saw of him Friday night. Even if we're going to be playing less direct football he's still going to need to challenge for Guzan's long kicks.

• Like 1

Ive just checked. Yes Smalling contained him and hes shorter than him by 1 cm.

But still there were flashes which would suggest hes still a beast. Benteke has been contained a few times too in terms of aerial balls. Dont forget the positioning of Gabby and Ayew was awful.

I really wouldn't read too much into him being beaten in the air by Smalling? Gestede wasn't even jumping because his back was to goal, Smalling had a running jump on him as he was attacking the ball to clear, it happened to Benteke many times, if a defender has a running jump on you with a similar height then most likely he will win the ball. As Sherwood says we need to get out of the habit of going route one, especially if no one is running off Gestede.

• Like 1

He's taller than Smalling and I thought Smalling gave him a real hiding. I think Gestede won one header out of around six or seven.

I'm obviously not going to write him off based on that one performance, absolutely not, but I hope he's a much better target man than what we saw of him Friday night. Even if we're going to be playing less direct football he's still going to need to challenge for Guzan's long kicks.

* cue Tim Sherwood and the guys on the sidelines have a better chance to challenge for Guzan's long kicks joke. 

Gestede is going to be good for us, but I don't see him getting anywhere near 12-15 goals as has been suggested. I think 8 goals for him would be a very good target. He's also going to have a few days like Friday when premier league centre backs will eat him alive in the air, unlike championship ones. Happened to Benteke too. 

I really wouldn't read too much into him being beaten in the air by Smalling? Gestede wasn't even jumping because his back was to goal, Smalling had a running jump on him as he was attacking the ball to clear, it happened to Benteke many times, if a defender has a running jump on you with a similar height then most likely he will win the ball. As Sherwood says we need to get out of the habit of going route one, especially if no one is running off Gestede.

Smalling is taller than his name suggests and had a great game against us.

I just remember Smalling bouncing off Benteke.... that was a sight to behold.

I'm sure that Gestede will be effective against other defenders. If you can play against cloggers in the Championship then the Premier League should be a bit more easier in a physical sense, although quite obviously defenders are more intelligent in the top flight, so it's up to Gestede to raise his game and I'm sure he will.

Â