Rudy Gestede

midian

1 minute ago, Butterfingers said:

His 2 goals on Saturday were not typical Rudy goals.  The more I watch the first one, the harder it looks to not only get across the defender but also to get such a powerful, accurate header in.  The second one was opportunist thanks to a wonderful pass from McCormack.

It was the other aspects of his game that impressed me but lets face facts,  Rotherham were a very poor side.  All of our players looked good on Saturday.

There are more teams like Rotherham in this league than there are teams like Wednesday and let's face facts, we should have gotten something from that one. 

Oh and we were humiliated by Luton a few days previous. 

I often wonder if there are Man United fans who say the same every week. 

20 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

There are more teams like Rotherham in this league than there are teams like Wednesday and let's face facts, we should have gotten something from that one. 

Oh and we were humiliated by Luton a few days previous. 

I often wonder if there are Man United fans who say the same every week. 

I would disagree there.  There are not going to be many sides as poor as Rotherham.  There will be a lot of difficult games for us and many sides will view playing us and the likes of Newcastle as similar to cup ties.

I expect us to have a very good squad by September 1st and have a settled side moving forward.  I'm loving the new found team spirit but I don't expect many games to be as easy as Saturdays was.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Butterfingers said:

I would disagree there.  There are not going to be many sides as poor as Rotherham.  There will be a lot of difficult games for us and many sides will view playing us and the likes of Newcastle as similar to cup ties.

I expect us to have a very good squad by September 1st and have a settled side moving forward.  I'm loving the new found team spirit but I don't expect many games to be as easy as Saturdays was.

Huddersfield will be interesting. They were pretty average last season but had a good start. Will be a good idea of where we stand at the moment.

7 minutes ago, Ikantcpell said:

Rudy Gestede is made for playing in the championship.

He will be a monster for us this season, and i can see him winning the golden boot.

Calm down it was one match. Gestede had a few really good matches last season in the premier league, but then managed to go invisible for the next 10 after that.

Gestede has to prove himself a lot more before I consider him to be decent even in this league. We shouldn't forget how terrible he looked against Sheffield and Luton. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Calm down it was one match. Gestede had a few really good matches last season in the premier league, but then managed to go invisible for the next 10 after that.

Gestede has to prove himself a lot more before I consider him to be decent even in this league. We shouldn't forget how terrible he looked against Sheffield and Luton. 

I think the difference is there is prior form backing up why he's suddenly playing well. This league is his level and he showed that..

6 hours ago, mattyvilla said:

Its no coincidence that Mccormack's movement off the ball gave Rudy far more time and space, i would suggest last seasons poor showing was more symptomatic of Aston Villa than Rudy. I believe he will score 15+ this season

My favourite moment of the game was Mcormack's through ball to Rudy, simple, accurate, effective - he will be great for Rudy. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

He didn't show it against Sheffield though. I am just saying let's not immediately jump aboard the Gestede train. Last season he scored in his first match and we all thought he'd do great too. It was just one match. Gestede has had far more poor matches than he has had good ones. 

There's far more reason to jump on the Gestede bandwagon than to not jump on it.  He is now off the mark in game 2 with a brace in a division where he has previously scored 40 goals in 62 starts.  We know for a fact that he scores by the truckload in this division.  I've no problem with someone being positive about it all.  He doesn't have to show it every game in order to get a golden boot or 'be a monster', and that's ignoring the fact the opening game is a one-off for a variety of reasons anyway.  But that's just me.  I never can understand the desire to quell people's positivity.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Nobody should be surprised at his two goals on Saturday, he is a very capable goal scorer at this level.

That is why I couldn't understand people clambering for Dwight Gayle who hasn't been a proven scorer at any professional level.

Rudy could be a very important player this season.

Based on that performance, Trent.....but we haven't been getting that.

Hence the clamour for another striker.

Its up to him, but yes he certainly could be our solution.....I like the big/ little man, because i think McCormack can cause problems for the opposition too.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, TRO said:

Based on that performance, Trent.....but we haven't been getting that.

Hence the clamour for another striker.

No based on his goal scoring record in this division when with Blackburn.

And no we haven't but we weren't in this division.

21 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No based on his goal scoring record in this division when with Blackburn.

And no we haven't but we weren't in this division.

Well lets see if it was all about the level of football and not playing for Blackburn that has made the difference.....because he is playing for us now.

I guess on a similar parallel what Benteke did for us hasn't helped Liverpool much.....albeit Gestede stepped up a division with us.

I will watch with interest, but was mightily encouraged with what I seen last Sat.

Edited by TRO

17 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

I'm confused as to why suddenly his flicks started going to Villa shirts and he was able to win headers and basically be remotely useful but long may it continue.

Probably because there were actually players around him as opposed to being scared shitless of getting forward....

Â