Rudy Gestede

midian

Wouldn't start him tomorrow.

Keogh and Shackell (Derby CBs) will want us to lump it long and they'll handle him comfortably imo.

I'd go with Ayew, McC and Jack as interchanging front three. That is depending on Jedinak being available though and that dosen't seem likely. 

• Like 1

On August 19, 2016 at 08:10, kurtsimonw said:

Agreed with him looking tired. I'd have Kozak on the bench over Richards now Baker is back. At worst, Kozak is going to put a shift in. Not as good in the air as Rudy, but can still win a few long balls too.

Still think this?

I'd have anyone on the bench over Richards. Unless he is picked for every single bench in every single Villa game from U13 upwards and is told to do a lengthy warm-up routine twice every match without ever being substituted.

15 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Still think this?

I think we should have one striker on the bench rather than two centre backs, yes, especially if one of those is Richards. I'm looking forward to the time when the striker on the bench isn't Kozak, however. 

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think we should have one striker on the bench rather than two centre backs, yes, especially if one of those is Richards. I'm looking forward to the time when the striker on the bench isn't Kozak, however. 

That's what I was saying. Yes we need strikers in the bench, but not kozak. Yesterday showed he is nowhere near good enough. I'd even say, Richards could've done a better job upfront than kozak 

It's funny how after the first game we despaired that Gestede was seemingly in RDM's plans for the season.

Now we seem to be wondering how we will survive without him.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, momo said:

What is the function of Ross McCormack if not a striker. And Ayew?

McCormack seems to play off the front, generally off a 6 foot type man. Smith/Rodellega/Dembele the last few years. Not sure if he's the type to lead a line?

• Like 2

Really hope his fit to face Bristol City, we miss him when he's not there.

Which seems crazy, because I always wanted more from him last season, more movement, more physicality and more football intelligence. I always felt really frustrated with him, but I think he may have been symptom of the shite around him, obviously he was never going to be a complete forward, who scores in a moment of brilliance out of nothing or drags the under-performing team up around him, but he was decent at the job that was asked of him in the PL.

Indeed, when you look back objectively his was a key part of the few villa highlights, he was rarely bullied, scored some goals, was dominant in the air in attack and defence and quite a good hold-up fulcrum for the attack. Maybe that's me looking back clouded by the positivity of this season's recruitment and some strong performances. Furthermore this season he looks such a better player, whether that's down to the players around him, allowing him to be utilised better or whether he really benefits from the extra time afforded in this division. I suppose time will tell. But I reckon he's going to be a really useful member of the squad this season.

Cue me, head in hands, lambasting him for being a slow lumbering tree devoid of any intelligent movement in 6 games time.

Â