Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

St etienne are pushing for Europe league. We are clinging onto hope that we make the championship playoffs. Veretout was treated like absolute shite here. I understand him completely not wanting to come back. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

St etienne are pushing for Europe league. We are clinging onto hope that we make the championship playoffs. Veretout was treated like absolute shite here. I understand him completely not wanting to come back. 

He is still under contract to Aston Villa - what we want should be what matters.

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

He is still under contract to Aston Villa - what we want should be what matters.

Should be, but isn't. Players dictate what happens now unfortunately.

Edited by Phumfeinz

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Not unless any potential buyer pays what we want .

If he doesn't want to be here and no one offers what we want it'll likely end with him going on loan again.

Doubt we'll want to keep a player in the squad who doesn't want to be here.

Guess we'll see in the summer what we and he want's to do.

I think the horse has bolted on this one.  I can't see us standing in his, Sanchez and Gil's way now they've all had better experiences in top leagues in Europe.  We will need to raise a bit of money to finish off the squad for next season as I think we spent most of our budget early in January.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Apart from that we really don't, sure!

If he had two years to run I would be concerned, as we will be looking to offload him before his value will drop significantly the following summer.
As it is, I think we can afford to play hardball.

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

If he had two years to run I would be concerned, as we will be looking to offload him before his value will drop significantly the following summer.
As it is, I think we can afford to play hardball.

It's absolutely pointless keeping an unhappy footballer at the club.  He won't perform, eats up wages and will inevitably get a "cut price" move somewhere.  Playing hardball with that is only detrimental to the club.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I always find this type of opinion a bit baffling. There's a whole load of reasons why every player who played for us last season looked crap. It doesn't mean they are all crap players. The fact that Gana, Veretout, Sanchez and Gil are all currently playing regularly in much better squads than ours kinda proves the point. 

Agreed, although it's not baffling, it's just binary thinking. 

54 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's absolutely pointless keeping an unhappy footballer at the club.  He won't perform, eats up wages and will inevitably get a "cut price" move somewhere.  Playing hardball with that is only detrimental to the club.

Everyone always says this with regards to our players, and while it is obviously true to a point, I feel it's "small time" thinking.

I have seen other clubs arguably "smaller" than ours point blank refuse to sell their best players until they were ready.

The player can of course throw a strop for awhile, but will eventually get their head down and try to play to the best of their abilities as it is also in their interest.

If they choose not to, they are probably a clearing in the woods anyway and deserve whatever treatment they get. lol

EDIT: Unless they are throwing a strop to move to us of course :trollface:

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Everyone always says this with regards to our players, and while it is obviously true to a point, I feel it's "small time" thinking.

I have seen other clubs arguably "smaller" than ours point blank refuse to sell their best players until they were ready.

The player can of course throw a strop for awhile, but will eventually get their head down and try to play to the best of their abilities as it is also in their interest.

If they choose not to, they are probably a clearing in the woods anyway and deserve whatever treatment they get. lol

Gareth Barry didn't do a bad job for us after we turned down his move to Liverpool .

im not fussed either way with veretout , he could do a job in this division for us but I'm not too worried if we sell him - happy with either decision.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yes but this is where they have a saleable asset who is in demand. 

Our players tend to be overpriced when we buy them and on wages no one else wants to match let alone beat.  It's a different kettle of fish. I am sure with half this lot we won happily get rid of them if we can. 

Edited by sidcow

Can't remember where the interview is now, but I do remember him saying something along the lines of not wanting to be in another relegation battle this season (if you could call last seasons a battle instead of a surrender... Well...) being the reason why he wasn't keen on being here. Coming back into a team full of confidence and getting into the habit of winning games might be appealing to him. Bit of silverware perhaps... 

Think we'll accept about 3m.

Better to get an unhappy player off the wage bill which lets remember is very high for championship level.

Think we'll try to balance the books by letting go of likes of Veretout, Gil, Sanchez and McCormack this summer. Those 4 are probably on close to 200k a week which is completely ridiculous.

• Like 1

Â