Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

50 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

So that's players who since last season have left us for Ligue 1, La Liga, the Premier League, the SPL, the Championship leaders and Serie A that are doing a lot better than they did here.  Sort of highlights the crap management we had really.

It's perhaps not quite as simple as that but not too far off the mark. Firstly Sherwood, Garde and Black were just utter, utter clowns and not fit to be called managers, 'they', especially Sherwood and Garde, played a big part in the poor form shown by these players (by the time Black took the reigns it was a total write off). However I'd also say that the likes of Veretout, Gil and Sinclair are now playing in leagues that suite them in terms of the pace, physical demands and average quality. Veretout never looked fully up to the pace, part of that is down to our shite backroom staff but I feel he seldom looked too comfortable in a league where his work was rushed more than say in France, same applies to Gil. Sinclair is just awful and benefiting from playing at such a low standard, SPL isn't even fully Championship standard IMO. 

Gana is the one who was really made for this league and is certainly benefiting from better management and better players around him.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's perhaps not quite as simple as that but not too far off the mark. Firstly Sherwood, Garde and Black were just utter, utter clowns and not fit to be called managers, 'they', especially Sherwood and Garde, played a big part in the poor form shown by these players (by the time Black took the reigns it was a total write off). However I'd also say that the likes of Veretout, Gil and Sinclair are now playing in leagues that suite them in terms of the pace, physical demands and average quality. Veretout never looked fully up to the pace, part of that is down to our shite backroom staff but I feel he never looked too comfortable in a league when his work was rushed more than say in France, same applies to Gil. Sinclair is just awful and benefiting from playing at such a low standard, SPL isn't even fully Championship standard IMO. 

Gana is the one who was really made for this league and is certainly benefiting from better management and better players around him.

To be fair to Garde between December and the start of February he'd stabilised us a bit and we lost something like 5 out of 13 matches using most of those players and not being allowed to bring any of his own in.  Not great but Sherwood and Black completely ignored certain players and won one game and drew two between them I think.  I think it's not really a coincidence that so many players have done better elsewhere anyway.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

To be fair to Garde between December and the start of February he'd stabilised us a bit and we lost something like 5 out of 13 matches using most of those players and not being allowed to bring any of his own in.  Not great but Sherwood and Black completely ignored certain players and won one game and drew two between them I think.  I think it's not really a coincidence that so many players have done better elsewhere anyway.

I thought Garde did a shocking job, utterly spineless with shit results. Although as a manager he was/is less shit than Sherwood and perhaps unfair to lump the two together. I rate Garde as a terrible manager, whereas Sherwood I wouldn't call a manager at all, a total **** fraud of the highest imaginable order.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

5 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I thought Garde did a shocking job, utterly spineless with shit results. Although as a manager he was/is less shit than Sherwood and perhaps unfair to lump the two together. I rate Garde as a terrible manager, whereas Sherwood I wouldn't call a manager at all, a total **** fraud of the highest imaginable order.

I agree from the Liverpool at home debacle on he just gave up, like the whole club seemed to.  But after the third round of the FA Cup we won two, drew two and lost one league match during the period we could have signed players, of whom some of his targets went to Sunderland who stayed up.  I wonder where we'd be if we got a couple of players in during that January.  Still relegated I'm sure but I think we'd be better off and more settled than we are currently.  If my auntie had bollocks, though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

So what in the world does that make Black?

http://www.footballinsider247.com/report-tottenham-scouting-championship-23-year-old-reignite-2015-interest/

REPORT: TOTTENHAM EYE MOVE FOR ASTON VILLA FLOP, COULD REIGNITE 2015 INTEREST

2017.02.16T211636Z_130281396_MT1ACI14752898_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER.EUROPA.MUN_.SET_.jpg

Tottenham scouts were in attendance on Wednesday night to watch Aston Villa midfielder Jordan Veretout play for St. Etienne, according to a report.

French publication Evect claim that the 23-year-old was watched by Spurs during the 1-0 loss to Manchester United, as he went up against Paul Pogba in the middle of the park.

The report claims that Tottenham were also interested in Veretout back in 2015, before the midfielder opted to join Midlands outfit Aston Villa from Ligue 1 side Nantes.

The Frenchman had a disappointing campaign at Villa Park and was part of a team that got demoted from the Premier League in wretched circumstances.

Veretout joined St Etienne on a season-long loan last summer and it remains to be seen whether he will return to his parent club at the end of the campaign.

Villa manager Steve Bruce brought in three central midfielders in January in Conor Hourihane, Birkir Bjarnason and Henri Lansbury, with Veretout seemingly not in his plans.

That could mean Spurs will look to swoop for the France Under-21’s international, as he continues to shine in his home country.

During his 31 league and cup appearances, the midfielder has had a hand in six goals as well as helping St. Etienne keep 13 clean sheets.

Scoring three goals, Veretout has also laid on another three strikes in assists, and that form could tempt Mauricio Pochettino into offering him a second crack at the Premier League.

Football Insider verdict:

Tottenham could do with another addition in the middle of the park, with Eric Dier reverting to the heart of defence instead of playing in last season’s holding midfield role. That leaves just Mousa Dembele, Victor Wanyama and academy product Harry Winks as Pochettino’s midfield options, and could see the Argentine boss enter the summer market for depth. However, a move for Veretout should be forgotten after the Frenchman’s dismal form in the Premier League contributed to Villa’s downfall during the 2015-16 season, as they earned only 17 top-flight points. Although in form, it seems Veretout can only produce his best form in his home country. Pochettino should see Veretout as a last resort, and give the market a good looking over before moving for St. Etienne’s number 14.

Our midfield from last season was Sanchez, Veretout, and Gueye. All three have gone on to do very well for their new clubs. 

Says a lot about us. Those three are a good midfield, but we were so badly managed when they were with us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Our midfield from last season was Sanchez, Veretout, and Gueye. All three have gone on to do very well for their new clubs. 

Says a lot about us. Those three are a good midfield, but we were so badly managed when they were with us. 

You might also mention that they aren't playing with each other this season - maybe they just didn't click or maybe their attributes didn't complement each other suitably. Gueye always looked good to me, Veretout has moved back to a league he knows and has shone in before and Sanchez has moved to a slower league, which suits him better too. 

5 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I don't understand why we don't bring him back and play him?

The amount of players we loan out who could do a job for us is shocking. This club is so mismanaged.

Because loan deals often include a fee, whether that be for the loan or an optional signing fee, when that's the case often clubs will agree to eliminate the ability for recalling as to not jeopardise that fee, if a club insists on including a recall option, the loaning club will forgo paying a fee. It's only really with youth players who are loaned out to gain experience that can be recalled, as there less likely to include bigger fees, I imagine that St. Etienne gave us £1m or so to loan Veretout, hence we can't recall.

Edit: In fact, here's a line from a Bham Mail piece about Bruce monitoring our loanees for next season, "Bruce was unable to recall either player in January as part of the arrangements made prior to his October arrival."

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

You might also mention that they aren't playing with each other this season - maybe they just didn't click or maybe their attributes didn't complement each other suitably. Gueye always looked good to me, Veretout has moved back to a league he knows and has shone in before and Sanchez has moved to a slower league, which suits him better too. 

Very true. Sad thing is, I don't think we ever tried those three in midfield. Typically it was Westwood, Sanchez, Gueye, Bacuna, and even Richardson. Sadly Veretout was always pushed out wing as a winger for some reason.  

• Like 1

God knows - sounds like a faff to check too.

Theoretically it could work. Sanchez holding, Gueye running around with his perpetual motion engine stamina and Veretout doing the pretty stuff. Factor in two good wing-forwards and a target man and why not?

• 4 weeks later...
Â