Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

13 hours ago, roadoftrinity said:

For our attacking midfielder he doesn't get in the box anywhere near enough. Neat footballer but needs to gamble more.

Gill was our attacking midfield player yesterday. I do think Veretout should push more at times but I thought he did his job well.

I dealt with things okay when I had my daughter, I wasn't on 25k+ per week either, and I had to work 40 hours per week. I refuse to give any kudos to him for that.

You only work 40hrs a week?

You lucky lucky B*****d!

i dont think I've ever worked less than 60hrs a week over the last 20 years or so

Whoah, you should really sort that out.

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

60 hours? Luxury. I work non-stop all seven days, eight if they're cruel. 

Non stop? Luxury I work non stop and have done for the last 120 years

• Like 1

I don't think this argument is unique to Vereotut. For some reason since MON left our midfielders have just stopped going into the box.

In simple terms its about probability - the more bodies we have in the box, the more likely it is that a pass/cross will find one of us, the more likely it is someone will be available for a pass/cross, the more likely it is that a rebound will come to one of us.

Its partly a confidence and desire thing - the players have to believe they can score, and be willing to take the risk of getting into the box. I watched Chelsea's first goal yesterday - the right full back puts the ball across the box and the left full back is at the back post to knock it in. Now I'm not saying Chelsea should be our model because they are struggling, but that would never happen at Villa. Newcastle's first goal Vs Man Utd on Tuesday - the ball goes up high towards the striker in the middle of the box and he heads it down to a midfielder driving forward into the box - we havn't had a player do that since Ian Taylor (perhaps harsh on Barry and Petrov who did try at least to get into the box).

This is why Palace now and us under MON were so successful as we could weather the attack and hit back with massive pace. If we had to go on the offense we wasn't as good as it could happen back to us, difference is we had Mellberg and Laursen at the back. Chelsea and City etc can usually get away with so much attacking because they have 2 quality CB's and a tank of a DM in case they get sprung on, as well as the full backs being rapid and super fit. Since the Collins-Dunne partnership we've had to be more conservative in attack because our defence simply isn't good enough to cope if we get a reversal with with midfield pushing on, we'd see a lot of goals like Arsenal scored when we had like 1 on 3.

On 08/01/2016 at 16:15, KHV said:

I dealt with things okay when I had my daughter, I wasn't on 25k+ per week either, and I had to work 40 hours per week. I refuse to give any kudos to him for that.

well done, and to think you were living abroad in a country where you couldn't speak the language as well. you deserve a medal mate

• Like 2

The counter attacking nature of so many teams nowadays means these guys are less likely to gamble. Veretout's probably desperate to get forward and into the box - he seemed to have a strong reputation for doing this when we signed him, the quality of the side he's in means he can't.

1 minute ago, El-Reacho said:

The counter attacking nature of so many teams nowadays means these guys are less likely to gamble. Veretout's probably desperate to get forward and into the box - he seemed to have a strong reputation for doing this when we signed him, the quality of the side he's in means he can't.

But I don't think thats true. If we are playing Westwood, Gana and Veretout as a midfield 3 or the 3 players in a diamond who are not most attacking, then I would expect one of them at least to get into the box, and I wouldn't say that is taking an overly risky approach of leaving us exposed. The vast majority of the time, the only players we have in a decent position in the box is the main striker - whether it be Kozak or Gestede - against 4 defenders at least.

9 hours ago, roadoftrinity said:

Disgraceful by Ramsey last night getting in the box on many occasions despite not playing as an attacking midfielder. 

maybe if he stopped going forward so much he could have marked Allen for the goal ;)

Â