Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

Grew into the game second half but still looked shaky and gave the ball away a lot. I'd say he's still struggling with the pace and physicality of English football, there was one particular moment in the second half comes to mind where he lost the ball in a bad position by being too ponderous.

Looks talented and I'm sure he will grow into a very good player for us, but I wouldn't be rushing to start him in PL games just yet.

First half he seemed to hide away from the ball and didn't impact the game much. Second half he wanted the ball more and as a result he started to influence the game more. Couple of really good weighted passes down the flanks and a good defensive reading of the game.

I actually agree with Woody. And I made the comparison after the Notts County game.

I said that for people who didn't like Westwood, I didn't think they'd like Veretout as they seem to play the position in a very similar way.

I like that style of play and so I value players who play like that. But it's clear that a large part of our fan base don't.

I can see Veretout being another divisive figure.

IMO he's clearly a better CM than Westwood and will show that as he plays more. He seems to have a lot more vision and he weights his passes very well indeed - doesn't seem scared to attempt or unable to see a tricky pass either. 

Being that he's only played 90 minutes against a championship and a league 1 team, doesn't this contradict your statement of "judge him against premier league players" that you've given in the Richards thread?

I don't think Veretout is "clearly" better than Westwood at all. I think they play the game in a similar way, and I think Veretout has a lot of potential to be better than Westwood in the future. But at the moment it's all potential.

• Like 2

Nothing at all like Westwood from what I saw of him in France (admittedly not a lot)

If anything more like Milner, driving forward with pace through the middle and running into the box in the second wave of attack.

Hopefully he get's a run of games in the correct role once his fitness is up to stat

Â