Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

I actually agree with Woody. And I made the comparison after the Notts County game.

I said that for people who didn't like Westwood, I didn't think they'd like Veretout as they seem to play the position in a very similar way.

I like that style of play and so I value players who play like that. But it's clear that a large part of our fan base don't.

I can see Veretout being another divisive figure.

yeah. Looked tidy at times but didn't feel he imposed himself on the game enough. Played some great passes along with some bad ones.

I don't see the pair working at all together against a strong team.

How anybody can say he's better than westwood based on last night is beyond me. 

That not me saying westwood is better either. Just you can't judge on 90 mins.

Edited by Woodytom
  • Like 1

Veretout plays best in more advanced position to Westwood and has a different style of play (although they do posses some similar qualities). So even if he is a better player I suspect it won't make much difference to Westwood's place in the team.

I like him a lot.  Always has his head up before he receives the ball,  you can tell by the way he plays that he's a decent player.  Does look to me like he's struggling to adapt.  I imagine at around Christmas time we will see a player who plays like Cleverley did under Sherwood.  

I think he has more in his locker than Westwood but I think they wil play different roles as the season goes on so the comparison isn't necessarily fair.  

Edited by PieFacE

Veretout plays best in more advanced position to Westwood and has a different style of play

Not for Villa he doesn't.

I've not seen him before he came here, but from what I've seen he plays the same position as Westwood and in a similar style.

In fact, when Westwood has been on the pitch at the same time, it's veretout who's played deeper. Not Westwood.

I like Westwood, but I think I like Veretout a lot more.  With him in the side alongside Gana I think we'd be a better side.  This isn't wishing ill on Ash.  It's just the reality that we can only use 11 at any one time and our summer activity has brought in someone better IMHO.  Which should be the intention of transfer windows after all.

• Like 2

You could of course say that about anyone, but from what I've seen of Veretout so far suggests an extremely capable central midfielder who will only get better once settled and even now is good enough to start.  The more he plays, the more settled he'll be.  But I fully expect Westwood to be back in the centre on Saturday.

The new guys are getting to a level now though where Tim will have his head wrecked by selection dilemmas every game.  Can he really, for example, start Gabby ahead of Ayew on the evidence of Tuesday night assuming he's not injured of course ?

I believe Gabby is injured so I think that will be taken care for him.

I also think Veretout will keep his place. I'd agree that in general he is in a similar mould to Westwood however I agree with BOF and also think he will in time prove to be the higher quality.

It's interesting that Westwood has almost always been the deep lying midfielder for us but he's hardly played in that position this season.

I saw glimpses of a good player against SHA. Similar to what I said in the Ayew thread, the fans needed to see something.

Our current starting XI may not be good enough to stay up. We need players like Veretout and Ayew to start performing if we're going to climb the table.

Â