Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

Him and Gana in front of Westwood is how I'd go against Stoke.

Gil and Grealish off Rudy.

But he's not as good as Westwood (yet)

Agreed. I mean in the midfield positionally.

I'd have Westwood sitting, with Gana and Veretout more forward thinking.

I'd have Westwood sitting on the bench and Sanchez, Gana and Veretout in the middle

• Like 4

I'd have Westwood sitting on the bench and Sanchez, Gana and Veretout in the middle

You know what... If that's the case, I wouldn't mind too much. I'm just fed up of Westwood and Sanchez getting in each other's way.

• Like 1

You know what... If that's the case, I wouldn't mind too much. I'm just fed up of Westwood and Sanchez getting in each other's way.

Agreed. One or the other. 

• Like 1

they are not the most dynamic pairing are they.........

I'm just not sure what people are basing the opinion that Veretout is better than Westwood on.

He hasn't shown that yet in the Prem. 

He's looked decent in 2 games, and they were both against lower league opposition.

• Like 1

they are not the most dynamic pairing are they.........

Certainly not!

It's also unfair on Westwood to be asking him to motor up and down the pitch like Delph used to.

Even if you don't rate him, playing someone out of position isn't going to help them improve.

I'm just not sure what people are basing the opinion that Veretout is better than Westwood on.

He's looked decent in 2 games, and they were both against lower league opposition.

people are just sick of seeing Westwood play, its no coincidence the players that get most abuse on here are the ones we have watched consistently for last few seasons. Guzan, Gabby, Bacuna, Westwood and Clark

• Like 3

people are just sick of seeing Westwood play, its no coincidence the players that get most abuse on here are the ones we have watched consistently for last few seasons. Guzan, Gabby, Bacuna, Westwood and Clark

Good point, they've all to a greater or lesser extent been the root of all evil on here for a while.

What does Westwood offers part from ruining all our set pieces? Veretout needs his chance.

The only way we've won a league game this season was from a ruined set piece.

Curse you Westwood.  Curse you!

Might have won a few more if he wasn't wasting them all. Even I'd find Rudy's head eventually.

• Like 2

and the phrase of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result comes to mind.  This kid was very highly rated in France, it's going to take time to adapt to English football but let's give him a chance as our midfield is clearly not working and hasnt done for years.  

Continuing the way we are seems to be leading to only one outcome so we brought this kid in and others to mix it up, they were highly rated so let's throw our eggs into that basket as maybe the grass isn't greener on the other side but this side the grass is fading into a dirt patch so we have nothing to lose.

• Like 1

Veretout needs to play. It's okay to say he has only looked decent against lower league opposition but the lad has high class pedigree and has proven whether in the premier league or not that he can bang goals in and assist. Leaving him out and giving him cameo appearances is not going to help him settle.

Lets be fair here as most are questioning which of the two should play, Westwood has had all his life to settle in English football and how many years at Villa? Has he ever changed a game, or bossed the midfield because I can't genuinely remember? Although Veretout and Westwood are different players I think the former will offer far more to the team as a whole if he plays. It's no disrespect to Westwood either as he is a tidy player but I look at the midfield and our current options and then ask myself, "Who is he better than and and what?". Sanchez and Gana are better DM's, and Westwood for all his passing doesn't penetrate defences, assist or score either. So if we play a 3 in the middle with one DM does he start? If we have 2 holding does he start? Personally I don't think he should. Veretout should be the player with along with Gana that we put our trust in as I think he will give us far more improvement in the team.

I do think Veretout potentially has more to his game than Westwood. In too many games we see Westwood often persisting with the safer passes, whereas Veretout seems to have an extra will and drive to get forward and try riskier passes more often. Yes, Westwood has set up goals and driven forward occasionally, but I see potential for Veretout to do this much more than Westwood currently does.

• Like 1

We watched Benteke for the last few seasons too.

I don't think that's any reason to not rate a player. It's flawed logic at it's very best.

I do think Veretout potentially has more to his game than Westwood. In too many games we see Westwood often persisting with the safer passes, whereas Veretout seems to have an extra will and drive to get forward and try riskier passes more often. Yes, Westwood has set up goals and driven forward occasionally, but I see potential for Veretout to do this much more than Westwood currently does.

I agree.

But it's all potential. He hasn't shown that yet, which is why I get confused when people are stating that Veretout is already better

• Like 1

Westwood is sitting midfielder as is Sanchez. Veretout so far in his career has done all roles in midfield. It's not a case of who better individually at times but who works together in the team. Sanchez and Westwood can't play together in a 2 or a 3 so either Veretout or Gana has to play. For a player getting to grips with the league playing in a 3 will help them adjust and seeing as we aren't strong enough in a 2 at the minute play a 3 with either Sanchez-/Westwood and Gana and Veretout. Veretouts flexibility also means he can push on as a 10 if the game goes that way. Playing the other 2 means we are limited in options and ability.  

But it's all potential. He hasn't shown that yet, which is why I get confused when people are stating that Veretout is already better

So would you bring him on after an hour or so then?  For me, the only way he will convince people who don't think he's better than Westwood is by being on the pitch.  So there's a bit of a vicious circle there, unless they can somehow be on at the same time, in which case they'd presumably be playing different roles.

Vere is 'glass' and Tout is 'all'. Vere maybe could be green as well. So All Green, or All Glass. Al Green? Philip Glass?

Whereas West is 'west' and wood is 'wood'. So Vivian Westwood.

So you can clearly see why people would prefer Veretout to Westwood.

Also Westwood cost £1.5 million and Veretout cost £8 million or something. Bit like saying there's a £10 million player on the bench. How can he not be in the team and scoring? He's a £10 million player. 

• Like 1

Its also the fact that they have had more game time to prove us wrong..........There is a case to say that players need time, but eventually the penny has to drop.

Westwood has been given time.....Vertout has not, that is where I see the main issue......One we know about, one we hope will be ok.

In terms of sequences it is also noticeable that Westwood has been involved for quite some time in a poor Villa team ( in terms of results)

The Veretout Westwood arguement is the same as the Ayew Agbonlahor arguement

Westwood and Gabby could afford to be shit before and get away with it but they can't now considering we have invested a lot in other players who play a similar position

If you play shit you should be out the team and competition for places is always healthy

I don't see the point in having a squad if we keep picking the same underperforming players week in week out you could get away with it before but not now especially when you have 10 - 20 million pound worth of talent sat on the bench doing **** all

If your not going to give them game time what was the point in signing them?

• Like 1

Â