Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

I'm worried we've bought and player that doesn't suit our style of play or system here.

I'm not quite sure where he fits in to this team.

I assumed the idea was for him to take Cleverley's place as a sort of #8 in a midfield-three. Problem is that other than the opening day, we haven't played a midfield-three. Still, I'd give him a go instead of Westwood, who is a total nothing player.

When has Veretout shown he is capable of a defence splitting pass? It's ironic because he's looked like a poor man's Westwood in his appearances so far for us. Think he's still not up to speed, and hope he's given more opportunities to get there.

Has to replace Westwood. I genuinely think he is the problem. He is a quandary because he's the football mans footballer. Every little tip you would have for your son starting off playing he emulates; show for the ball, move into space after passing, play with your head up. Sounds great, wrong.

He's just not expansive enough and given he gets so much of the ball he dictates all of our play, and what he dictates is not good enough. He's like the midfield embodiment of the 80/20 rule. He can do 80% of the game perfectly which you would think would result in a really good footballer. But it's the 20% he can't do that wins matches and creates a dominant football team.

Because he has the ball so much we are limited by what we will ever achieve.

Why am I typing this In the Jordan Veretout thread? Because from the little I've seen He can do everything Westwood can do but has a spark to him. He is quite capable of a defence splitting pass no one else saw. Westwood never does that. He would play the less risky pass and play it adequately well.

This is the area of the pitch I think we need most change.

i will defend Sanchez to the death because I think he does what he needs to do very well. Veretout needs to be our ying to his yana. 

I agree 100% about Westwood, he's just not good enough.

As for Veretout I've not seen enough of him yet to make my mind up if he's going to be either but I want to see him given a chance.

2 more substitute appearances between them since the last time someone said they were a waste of money. Definitely can't disagree now, totally sure they'll never amount to anything in a Villa shirt after seeing them play for us for so long!

My only concern is that he's very similar to Westwood...

However, I think he should start ahead of Ashley in the not too distant future. This lad has come with a decent reputation so I'm sure he's pretty close to being 'ready'. 

From what little I've seen of him I have the same concern.

He won't give us the needed extra strength at midfield we need, but hopefully he'll be an improvement going forward over Ashley.

I'd have him over Westwood every time. 

Based on what, out of interest?

Westwood admittedly hasn't been great the past couple of games, but Veretout has done nothing so far. That's not to say he won't develop into a good player, but I don't think any of us can judge his ability yet.

Preferring Veretout over Westwood is just a guess at this stage.

I'd have him over Westwood every time. 

Based on what, out of interest?

Westwood admittedly hasn't been great the past couple of games, but Veretout has done nothing so far. That's not to say he won't develop into a good player, but I don't think any of us can judge his ability yet.

Preferring Veretout over Westwood is just a guess at this stage.

i don't think Westwood is good enough in a midfield 2, I don't know if Veretout will be either, but until I've seen him look as bad as Westwood I'd give him the chance. In a midfield 3 I think, based on what he did in France, he'd be a better option than Westwood in a more advanced role, leaving Gana as the box to box midfield player and Sanchez as the DM.

I think it's hard to make that judgement until we've seen what Veretout is like. I do agree that Westwood doesn't work in a two.

If we play a midfield 3 I'd rather see Sanchez sacrificed for Veretout than Westwood

Veretout may be just as ineffective but I think we're going nowhere with Westwood as a key part of our midfield, so I'd have him in there now. A couple of weeks ago I'd have probably agreed about Westwood over Sanchez but it was so embarrassing watching players stroll past him yesterday I'd go with Sanchez as our DM.

Â