Jordan Ayew

HeyAnty

Looks like he's covering the pass inside to me. He's very isolated there, was that at the end of an attacking move? It's still fairly high up the pitch. I don't think he does anything particularly wrong there but what do I know.

Interesting, I must say I didn't spot that. He's so raw he's going to take some time to settle, be nice though if we could start linking play up the field.

Taken from the United pre match day thread:

Without a shadow of a doubt, Ayew was the least effective presser in Aston Villa. Although there were many examples, I’m only giving you one sequence here for time’s sake. In this action, you can see Ayew (number 19, in the centre circle) approaching Gosling near the centre of the pitch; however, he seems to think “ummm… I shouldn’t really be here”, and jogs back to the right side, towards Daniels. He then just sort of stands there 3 meters away from him, without any sense of urgency whatsoever. He then gets a second chance to press the man on the ball, but again just stands there watching the player pass him by. This could definitely be something that Young and Shaw could take advantage of. Ayew does have the protection of Bacuna behind him, but even against Bournemouth at times they looked weak on the right side of defence.

That's just a nonsense article to spot a weakness that isn't there imo. As Dont_do_it_Doug also mentioned in a roundabout way, he is at first sitting in the middle in the hole, Gosling receives the ball, Ayew realises we are covered in the centre with Westwood starting to press and then drifts out to the wing to where he senses the pass will go, then provides cover on the diagonal ball back inside forcing the fullback down the line where the threat is weaker. Good movement in my opinion especially for a striker. Had Daniels carried the ball further down the line I am sure he would've backed Bacuna, but he didn't need to. As you can see in the clip he goes to run with Daniels and the ball then gets passed without any threat to Bacuna or the back line.

The lad needs time to adjust and get used to the formation, his team mates and their limitations as well as his own. He has a great first touch, good movement, turns out well with the ball, plays it simple, drops deep to get involved when others would just sit there and wait for something to happen. I could go on.... I think the lad deserves a break. He is nowhere near the finished article but has the potential to be class. People should concentrate on that rather than what he isn't doing at the moment. 

Thought he didn't play too bad at all for a debut. I think if it wasn't for such a really good showing from other debutants (Amavi, Gana and Gestede) his performance wouldn't have been highlighted as much as it has been.

• Like 1

Can this guy play from the left? Just looking at the Video's in the Traore thread and he looks to play of the right. Be interesting to see how Tim sets up the front 4 assuming the Traore story has legs.

Not a great debut by any stretch of the imagination but did show one or two moments of decent quality. I think of all the signings Ayew will take the longest to get going (if he does at all). He has talent but needs to both get up to the speed of this league and also become a lot more consent (an issue leveled against him frequently in France). 

He needs to be introduced into the team slowly. There is talent there but at the moment he looks unsure of himself. Once we get Grealish back I would drop him to the bench and let him come on when we need a turn of pace.

We've been sold a dud here, I think. Already got friends who keep telling me we got the wrong Ayew.

A dud? Christ we're 2 games in! Give him a bit of time to settle for crying out loud

• Like 1

He's a huge upgrade on Gabby.

His tracking back I thought was fantastic. He can hold it up, win the ball in the air, pass not too bad and pace.

Just a shame we didn't see any runs, forward movement or shots.

• Like 1

Â