Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

10 hours ago, Junxs said:

I like Amavi, but £25m is £25m! It could go a long way towards sorting the dire midfield.

Or maybe there are better ways of sorting that midfield, maybe we don't need the 25m and then even if we did accept the 25m we either have Cissokho at left back or have to spend 10m of that on a new left back who then has to fit in. 

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

How about this for an analogy...

I'm a landlord and rent out a flat. There's a few basic appliances that could do with being replaced but the fancy french fridge, despite a small leak every now and then, is reliable and also rather attractive (;)). I could sell the fridge on to a mate who has offered me £2,500 for it, which I could spend on getting a better vacuum, microwave and maybe even top of the range kettle and toaster.

But, I'm a millionaire landlord. If the shops are open, I can buy those things anyway. What I don't want to do is flog my fridge for £2500, buy a £1000 version and hope that it's a good, and then have to replace it every year when it doesn't meet the tenants expectations. I can afford to have it all.

I like an analogy but this one feels a bit short

4 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I'm a landlord and rent out a flat. There's a few basic appliances that could do with being replaced but the fancy french fridge, despite a small leak every now and then, is reliable and also rather attractive (;)). I could sell the fridge on to a mate who has offered me £2,500 for it, which I could spend on getting a better vacuum, microwave and maybe even top of the range kettle and toaster.

But, I'm a millionaire landlord. If the shops are open, I can buy those things anyway. What I don't want to do is flog my fridge for £2500, buy a £1000 version and hope that it's as good, and then have to replace it every year when it doesn't meet the tenants expectations. I can afford to have it all.

I'm confused, are you buying a new fridge or not?!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

maybe it's a secret plan to move Aston Villa to the Chinese league one player at a time ? 

If i were prone to coming up with conspiracy theories I'd probably find it interesting that there seems to be Chinese interest in a few of our players. 

The Dr's way of circumventing FFP maybe?

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Name some good left backs we can easily replace him with? We have had some really shit left backs over the years. Remember Samuel? Luna? Or the superb Bennett?

2 hours ago, blandy said:

I don't mean this in a bad way, but if you have no idea who we could replace him with, can't think of anyone and yet we believe scouts from other clubs think he's worth spending 25 million on, it kind of suggests that we couldn't replace him easily, that in the left back market, he's the man to get.

Guys,

I get where you both are coming from but, had either of you ever heard of Amavi before he joined us? I mean, heard of him in a way you thought to yourselves "yeah, he looks great and I would love him to join us for £8m" or whatever the fee was? There must be other left backs out there that we could pick up for less than £25m that could do a good job for us.

Look how Southampton have coped with losing player after player. In the 2013/14 season they finished 8th. In the summer they lost Luke Shaw for much more than they paid for Bertrand in the left back position. They Lost Lovren and brought in Alderweireld. They lost Lambert and brought in Pelle. Lost Lallana and brought in Mane - all in 2014. At the end of the 14/15 season they finished 7th, a place higher than the season before and following the sales of their star players, and all for a massive profit.

In 2015 they lost Clyne to Liverpool and replaced him for a third of the price. They lost others too, replaced them and, still went on to finish a place higher than the previous season - 6th and in European competition. They have showed time and again that you can lose a decent player and replace him with at least the same quality, if not better.

Gareth Barry has been used on here as an example. We lost him and brought in Delph. OK, Delph didn't hit the ground running but he eventually became our best midfielder and ended up going to Man City at a time when Barry was being moved out.

Just because other scouts value Amavi at £25m it doesn't mean that there aren't other players out there that we could get in to do a job for us. Man Utd spent over £20m on Luke Shaw but it doesn't mean that they couldn't get a better left back in at that time for less - Bertrand springs to mind? Just because a big named team wants a player it doesn't mean there aren't any equal or better out there.

Seriously, I would not lose any sleep over losing Amavi. I think he is a good player but I think that we can at least get equal quality in to replace him, and for less than the £25m being mentioned.

3 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Guys,

I get where you both are coming from but, had either of you ever heard of Amavi before he joined us? I mean, heard of him in a way you thought to yourselves "yeah, he looks great and I would love him to join us for £8m" or whatever the fee was? There must be other left backs out there that we could pick up for less than £25m that could do a good job for us.

Look how Southampton have coped with losing player after player. In the 2013/14 season they finished 8th. In the summer they lost Luke Shaw for much more than they paid for Bertrand in the left back position. They Lost Lovren and brought in Alderweireld. They lost Lambert and brought in Pelle. Lost Lallana and brought in Mane - all in 2014. At the end of the 14/15 season they finished 7th, a place higher than the season before and following the sales of their star players, and all for a massive profit.

In 2015 they lost Clyne to Liverpool and replaced him for a third of the price. They lost others too, replaced them and, still went on to finish a place higher than the previous season - 6th and in European competition. They have showed time and again that you can lose a decent player and replace him with at least the same quality, if not better.

Gareth Barry has been used on here as an example. We lost him and brought in Delph. OK, Delph didn't hit the ground running but he eventually became our best midfielder and ended up going to Man City at a time when Barry was being moved out.

Just because other scouts value Amavi at £25m it doesn't mean that there aren't other players out there that we could get in to do a job for us. Man Utd spent over £20m on Luke Shaw but it doesn't mean that they couldn't get a better left back in at that time for less - Bertrand springs to mind? Just because a big named team wants a player it doesn't mean there aren't any equal or better out there.

Seriously, I would not lose any sleep over losing Amavi. I think he is a good player but I think that we can at least get equal quality in to replace him, and for less than the £25m being mentioned.

It's a lot easier to do it in the summer than January.  To replace Amavi we'd be looking at buying a first team left back from another Championship team, a back up from a Premier League team or a punt on someone from Europe.  Finding someone who is available, decent and not over-priced is going to be very tough.  It's not likely that Amavi's value is going to drop any time soon either so there's no need to cash in on that front.

43 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Guys,

That's very fair comment. In reply, I'd say that any signing carries a risk. We signed players like, say Warnock and Shorey who had looked decent elsewhere, but they came to VP and looked utter bobbins. Personally, where we have a weakness, currently, say, midfield, you could well argue that taking a risk is not only worth it, it's almost essential if we are to improve. On the other hand an area where (IMO) we have a good player who is improving all the time and we have no financial need to sell, why on earth take the risk? particularly when the aim is to gain promotion. I'm pretty certain that selling Amavi would be a backwards step.

Re Southampton, they rebuilt their scouting system and their overall operating plan for the club and after a few years they've been reaping the rewards. But it took time, We've just started that same rebuilding and philosophy change and I don't think we yet have the level of scouting network and all the rest that would currently enable us to just replicate what they did. What they've managed has been the exception rather than the rule.

5 hours ago, Jareth said:

I like an analogy but this one feels a bit short

4 hours ago, blandy said:

But not all that cool

5 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Just multiply the numbers by 1000 and replace the kitchen appliances with football players you'll get there :P

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I'm confused, are you buying a new fridge or not?!

I guess what I'm saying is, if we sell Amavi a fridge would be a better option than Cissokho.

Whirlpool Baker Chester Smeg

Bosch

• Like 4

Just now, a m ole said:

I guess what I'm saying is, if we sell Amavi a fridge would be a better option than Cissokho.

Whirlpool Baker Chester Smeg

Bosch

So Cissokho is frozen out, then?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I was saying that it's debateable regarding him being able to hold his own in the prem

All that matters is the now and getting us back into the prem. 

then we can assess/improve the team as required. Until then, I wouldn't consider selling our best lb. 

7 hours ago, a m ole said:

But, I'm a millionaire landlord. If the shops are open, I can buy those things anyway. What I don't want to do is flog my fridge for £2500, buy a £1000 version and hope that it's as good, and then have to replace it every year when it doesn't meet the tenants expectations. I can afford to have it all.

Has it got an ice dispenser?

6 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

All that matters is the now and getting us back into the prem. 

then we can assess/improve the team as required. Until then, I wouldn't consider selling our best lb. 

So why previously mention that he can hold his own in the prem..... prompting me to say that that was debateable?

I'm suspicious of the £25m bid from China and think by Tony going public with its "rejection" he's basically making a statement to would be targets and also telling Marseille to not bother bidding and trying to unsettle our player 

• Like 1

Â