Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

3 minutes ago, Godders said:

Source to back this up please? 

I'm sure the club said recently in a fan forum that we had no FFP issues this season at all, and should be fine next season as well if we don't go up.

Has that now changed and I've missed it? 

Sorry I have no source,  I am sure we can go out and spend £25m and everything is OK. I will try an send some spies with those little cameras into the Villa Park and FA offices for photographic evidence before I make any similar statements. 

21 minutes ago, a m ole said:

can't wait to go down Villa Park to watch Cissokho shin the ball around the pitch, safe in the knowledge that there's £25m sat in a Villa bank account somewhere while clubs with decent left backs reject all our offers.

Well which is it. If a player wants to leave apparently he can force the move according to numerous posts above and also evidence from tons of other transfers,  Berihino aside. 

I do not believe that if we had £9m or so to spend on a left back we would not be able to get in a quality player, or that they wouldn't want to come. 

And as I said,  I really don't think he is that great anyway. 

Edited by sidcow

20 minutes ago, a m ole said:

can't wait to go down Villa Park to watch Cissokho shin the ball around the pitch, safe in the knowledge that there's £25m sat in a Villa bank account somewhere while clubs with decent left backs reject all our offers.

its too close to sleep time, I will have these nightmares all night

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Well which is it. If a player wants to leave apparently he can force the move according to numerous posts above and also evidence from tons of other transfers,  Berihino aside. 

I do not believe that if we had £9m or so to spend on a left back we would not be able to get in a quality player, or that they wouldn't want to come. 

will it improve the position to do the deal? if not, don't. we have an owner now where we can think much more long term.

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

will it improve the position to do the deal? if not, don't. we have an owner now where we can think much more long term.

This was the whole point of my OP. 

I believe we can replace him with someone good enough to do the job (I don't think he's that great). 

Whatever we were going to spend to add to midfield and replace Hutton,  let's say £20m suddenly becomes £35m at nil net extra investment.  Which really opens up opportunities for Harry Redknap style top top players. So yes IN MY OPINION our position is improved. 

Now if your opinion is different to mine i.e. That Amavi is a brilliant irreplaceable player then I understand why people have an issue with my post. But I just don't see what a lot of people see in him,  hence I would snatch someone's hand off for £25m.

30 minutes ago, sidcow said:

But I just don't see what a lot of people see in him,  hence I would snatch someone's hand off for £25m.

You and me both. Think he is the definition of inconsistent and makes some truly awful decisions.

25m is beyond insane and the fact that it now seems to be from some Chinese team that probably hasn't the faintest idea what they're doing (see 60m for oscar), goes some way to explaining that insanity.

I'm all for this standing strong and keeping your best players but I can't see us missing Jordan amavi at all given the likelihood of us replacing him should we receive such an obscene fee.

That said, if said club comes back and offers 30m then we will have played a blinder.

• Like 1

Who offered the £25m for Amavi? That's insane on one hand but, with all the new TV money floating around it isn't so crazy. 

Tony Xia would surely have consulted Steve Bruce before rejecting such an offer. The masterplan is to get back into the Premier League ASAP. Tony must have asked Brucey if he thinks Amavi is his intended left back when we get back up, otherwise why not sell him? 

4 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

You and me both. Think he is the definition of inconsistent and makes some truly awful decisions.

I can think of one awful decision he made in 18 months( 2 if you count joining Villa). I would love if you would elaborate the rest

For the record, at £25m, I'd bite their hands off. We can replace him easily with that amount of money and still have plenty spare to spend elsewhere. Now, I don't know who I'd replace him with but, people paid to do the scouting should! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

25m is beyond insane and the fact that it now seems to be from some Chinese team that probably hasn't the faintest idea what they're doing (see 60m for oscar), goes some way to explaining that insanity.

I'm all for this standing strong and keeping your best players but I can't see us missing Jordan amavi at all given the likelihood of us replacing him should we receive such an obscene fee.

That said, if said club comes back and offers 30m then we will have played a blinder.

I get the feeling you'd complain if we accepted the bid too. The club can't win.

• Like 1

Simply put, We need our best players to get ourselves back into the prem. 

amavi is one of our best and would be able to hold his own in the prem if we get promoted. 

Yes, £25m is a lot of money but we cannot guarantee getting in the right replacement this January and cissokho is not the answer. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sidcow said:

This was the whole point of my OP. 

I believe we can replace him with someone good enough to do the job (I don't think he's that great). 

Whatever we were going to spend to add to midfield and replace Hutton,  let's say £20m suddenly becomes £35m at nil net extra investment.  Which really opens up opportunities for Harry Redknap style top top players. So yes IN MY OPINION our position is improved. 

Now if your opinion is different to mine i.e. That Amavi is a brilliant irreplaceable player then I understand why people have an issue with my post. But I just don't see what a lot of people see in him,  hence I would snatch someone's hand off for £25m.

Words in people mouth again, classic VT. We're all guilty of it at times I guess, myself included, but you're wrong.

I think he's potentially brilliant, though I don't think he's "irreplaceable" as he is now. What I do think is that it would be extremely difficult for a club in our position to replace him with somebody as good or better, it would cost us at least £10m and the thought of having to do that in January and failing, and ending up with Cissokho at left back while we try and hunt down a playoff spot fills me with absolute dread. 

Why take the risk unless we have to? Even if you don't think he's all that, surely you don't think he's a bad championship left back? Your judgement is clouded by the money but as somebody else said, I can't wait to see Cissokho shinning the ball into row Z while £25m sits in Tony Xia's bank account gathering dust because nobody want's to sell us their player, at least not for a reasonable price when they know we have £25m burning a hole in the back pocket. In January. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, villarocker said:

For the record, at £25m, I'd bite their hands off. We can replace him easily with that amount of money and still have plenty spare to spend elsewhere. Now, I don't know who I'd replace him with but, people paid to do the scouting should! 

Doesn't work like that. You can sign an experienced pro like Elphick and have your pants pulled down. You can sign a young up and coming player like Gollini and the same thing can happen. We have a player with genuine ability here, maybe not the finished article but he is being watched by some heavy hitters for a reason. 

£15m for Gareth Barry was a good deal in the end with one year left on his contract. So glad we shipped Gary Cahill out, we really needed that £5m at the time. You can't turn down £26m for James Milner. I honestly think that £12m for Ashley Young is fine, we've gotten good value from him and N'Zogbia will be a more than able replacement. Just think what we can do with that £32m for Benteke...

On and on it goes. **** the money. I follow the football club, not the bank account. You lot are insane. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Words in people mouth again, classic VT. We're all guilty of it at times I guess, myself included, but you're wrong.

I think he's potentially brilliant, though I don't think he's "irreplaceable" as he is now. What I do think is that it would be extremely difficult for a club in our position to replace him with somebody as good or better, it would cost us at least £10m and the thought of having to do that in January and failing, and ending up with Cissokho at left back while we try and hunt down a playoff spot fills me with absolute dread. 

Why take the risk unless we have to? Even if you don't think he's all that, surely you don't think he's a bad championship left back? Your judgement is clouded by the money but as somebody else said, I can't wait to see Cissokho shinning the ball into row Z while £25m sits in Tony Xia's bank account gathering dust because nobody want's to sell us their player, at least not for a reasonable price when they know we have £25m burning a hole in the back pocket. In January. 

I'm not putting words into people's mouths,  I am pointing out that many people think he's a great player worth keeping hold of I instead of £25m.

I am sorry if you think a left back is worth £25m, especially one who has hardly played in the PL you must think he's pretty bloody good. 

I 100% believe we can replace him even in January. Our problems run very very deep elsewhere.  We are Aston Villa,  players will want to join us and clubs will appreciate why one of their players would want to join a club like use,  same as we always have done when Man Ure etc came knocking.  We are a very big deal I this league. 

14 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

amavi is one of our best and would be able to hold his own in the prem if we get back up

Judging by some of his performances last year and some of them this year (Norwich away), that statement is very debate able imo.

Â