Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

1 hour ago, striker said:

The rumoured 25m bid affected him last night which can happen to an even more experienced player.

Totally what I'm thinking too.

FWIW I think Amavi is quite obviously one of our better players and I think it would be a massive mistake to sell him now, whatever the money.

He was undeniably shocking at times yesterday.

35 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Totally what I'm thinking too.

FWIW I think Amavi is quite obviously one of our better players and I think it would be a massive mistake to sell him now, whatever the money.

He was undeniably shocking at times yesterday.

Strongly disagree, he really isn't the next Roberto Carlos, I'd be very surprised if he ever made it to the 'top level', £25m would be a fantastic deal.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Strongly disagree, he really isn't the next Roberto Carlos, I'd be very surprised if he ever made it to the 'top level', £25m would be a fantastic deal.

I suppose it's all down to whether Amavi is happy here in the grand scheme of things. £25m is a great offer but as others have said would we have confidence in the clubs ability to improve on him with any potential replacement? Obviously the day after arguably his worst performance for us will prompt a lot of people to think yes. But he does not have to be or ever become 'the next Roberto Carlos' to be a very good player for Aston Villa Football Club. No point keeping him if his head's been turned though and I think we'll be hard pressed to keep hold of him past the summer if we don't go up regardless of what happens in this window.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You would probably bankrupt our club if you was our chairman if that's what you do for our business !

Absolutely. Doesn't change the fact that Amavi's performance was right up there as one of the shittest defensive performances to grace VP in recent times, and that's saying something.

I do still think he'll leave this window or, at the latest, in the summer.

13 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Absolutely. Doesn't change the fact that Amavi's performance was right up there as one of the shittest defensive performances to grace VP in recent times, and that's saying something.

I do still think he'll leave this window or, at the latest, in the summer.

Now that's an exaggeration and half. One of the worst defensive performances at villa park? Was you not at the Bradford home games? How about the 6-0 against Liverpool last season? 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Now that's an exaggeration and half. One of the worst defensive performances at villa park? Was you not at the Bradford home games? How about the 6-0 against Liverpool last season? 

I guess those games were a collective shite performance from a back 4. Last night was one player playing horrifically. I still think he's potentially a great player by the way, I actually think you've taken my quote a bit too literally in the 1st place. Of course I wouldn't sell him for £250k, just that his performance was right down there with some of the crap I get to watch at Whaddon Road (Cheltenham Town) whenever I'm not at VP.

He was not as bad last night as people are making out, yes he made a few mistakes, bad ones, but he didn't give up and recovered pretty much every one of them immediately and was visibly angry with himself each time.

Apart from those mistakes he defended well. Most of his mistakes seemed to come from attempting to shield the ball out of play - he is not big enough or strong enough to do that as his default option. He does need to learn where row Z is and put the ball there when there is danger, unless he is being instructed to do the shielding rather than lose possession.

Going forward he was OK as well, but only OK. There was not enough movement around him for the most part and was closed down quickly by their right sided players - Their RB and RW were playing as one. Amavi had Ayew, and whilst Ayew did get back a number of times, he was not providing the same level of support.

Even at £25m I would not be looking to sell at the moment. Much bigger issues with our squad and new players to integrate into the team. Lets not create another problem to fix.

Edited by TheStagMan

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

I guess those games were a collective shite performance from a back 4. Last night was one player playing horrifically. I still think he's potentially a great player by the way, I actually think you've taken my quote a bit too literally in the 1st place. Of course I wouldn't sell him for £250k, just that his performance was right down there with some of the crap I get to watch at Whaddon Road (Cheltenham Town) whenever I'm not at VP.

I just think your quote that his defensive performance was one of the shittest pot ever grace villa park was an over exaggeration. He didn't gave a great game but it certain wasn't in the level of that! Even when he made that big cock up he made up for the mistake and got a touch when hit the bar

I think he is a decent player and in normal circumstances would take the 25 million, if that is a genuine offer.....because i too think he is a tad overrated.....whether he improves is another argument.

However and its a big However for me.......I have dubious faith in our scouting system, to find someone better.

which brings me to that most pertinent point and  has been said.....we cannot continue selling our best players, if we want to get back to the Prem

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

He was not as bad last night as people are making out, yes he made a few mistakes, bad ones, but he didn't give up and recovered pretty much every one of them immediately and was visibly angry with himself each time.

Apart from those mistakes he defended well. Most of his mistakes seemed to come from attempting to shield the ball out of play - he is not big enough or strong enough to do that as his default option. He does need to learn where row Z is and put the ball there when there is danger, unless he is being instructed to do the shielding rather than lose possession.

Going forward he was OK as well, but only OK. There was not enough movement around him for the most part and was closed down quickly by their right sided players - Their RB and RW were playing as one. Amavi had Ayew, and whilst Ayew did get back a number of times, he was not providing the same level of support.

Even at £25m I would not be looking to sell at the moment. Much bigger issues with our squad and new players to integrate into the team. Lets not create another problem to fix.

Its a common general fault of ours that players make themselves available for a pass very inconsistently.....hence players get caught in possession.

not enough prudent/ intelligent  running off the ball......a lot of idle minded  running.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Its a common general fault of ours that players make themselves available for a pass very inconsistently.....hence players get caught in possession.

not enough prudent/ intelligent  running off the ball......a lot of idle minded  running.

THIS!!

and idle minded standing around having made a run that didn't come off expecting a medal as if they've invented a machine that turns farts into gold instead of making another run.

But this along with our complete inablity to hold onto possession from our own throw ins has been the most frustrating thing about watching us for the last 5 years for me.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

THIS!!

and idle minded standing around having made a run that didn't come off expecting a medal as if they've invented a machine that turns farts into gold instead of making another run.

But this along with our complete inablity to hold onto possession from our own throw ins has been the most frustrating thing about watching us for the last 5 years for me.

I'd make it nearly 10 years Marv.Lack of movement for our throw ins,2 players moving to shutdown an opposition player leaving another standing free,running up to an opposition player so when he turns your either left standing or you foul him.

All basics which as I said to my son last night who's now 20 I was trying to teach him when he was 10.

3 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

I suppose it's all down to whether Amavi is happy here in the grand scheme of things. £25m is a great offer but as others have said would we have confidence in the clubs ability to improve on him with any potential replacement? Obviously the day after arguably his worst performance for us will prompt a lot of people to think yes. But he does not have to be or ever become 'the next Roberto Carlos' to be a very good player for Aston Villa Football Club. No point keeping him if his head's been turned though and I think we'll be hard pressed to keep hold of him past the summer if we don't go up regardless of what happens in this window.

There hasn't been many left backs in the history of football to be sold for £25m or more, I'm fairly sure we could replace him with a solid alternative and use the majority of the funds to improve more in need areas such as midfield. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

THIS!!

If I'm honest me too.

I have no qualms accepting that our players have talent.....but its the basics of application that bugs me....I think its holding us back.

I have seen too many teams this season that have had less individual talent than us..... cause us problems.....and we have only got out of jail through, sheer talent.

sure there has been an improvement in drive, but a long way to go yet.

I think it is a mistake to turn down £25m for Amavi but then have to sell Gestede to get some funds for a new midfielder.

Even if Amavi was worth £25m, you don't want your best player to be your left back. I would sooner see that money invested in improving other areas.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It would depend what we did with that £25m, buy an inferior LB for £5-10m to replace him and it doesn't sound so fantastic

"we could spend the money elsewhere on the squad" Tony probably already has the money so unless there's some FFP issue stopping us from buying a midfielder in Jan then I really don't see the point

Â