Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

Just now, Woodytom said:

Judging by some of his performances last year and some of them this year (Norwich away), that statement is very debate able imo.

He is our best left back, non debatable. 

Then again it appears you don't rate any of our players. 

1 minute ago, Woodytom said:

Judging by some of his performances last year and some of them this year (Norwich away), that statement is very debate able imo.

He isn't yet 23 and has played less than 30 games for us. If you're not willing to let a young player make mistakes, maybe we'd be better off signing pros like Lescott.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'm not putting words into people's mouths,  I am pointing out that many people think he's a great player worth keeping hold of I instead of £25m.

I am sorry if you think a left back is worth £25m, especially one who has hardly played in the PL you must think he's pretty bloody good. 

I 100% believe we can replace him even in January. Our problems run very very deep elsewhere.  We are Aston Villa,  players will want to join us and clubs will appreciate why one of their players would want to join a club like use,  same as we always have done when Man Ure etc came knocking.  We are a very big deal I this league. 

So why create another one unless we have to, is my point.

Edit - also, it doesn't matter what I think he's worth. He may as well be priceless unless we need the money. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

So why create another one unless we have to, is my point.

Edit - also, it doesn't matter what I think he's worth. He may as well be priceless unless we need the money. 

My last word as I don't want to get into endless tit for tat,  I don't believe we are miles away from FFP issues despite what has been said. I just think it's way way too much money to ignore which would do us more good than harm. 

That is my opinion,  it may be wrong but it's mine. 

29 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's just a debate dude. I got no beef. 

Sorry DDID if I sounded put out. Nothing of the sort,  just agreeing to disagree (which I don't often do with you! ) 

• Like 1

Not sure if everyone saw this article but yes the Amavi bid did happen. The owner of our club wasn't making it up...

Aston Villa have rejected a mammoth £25million bid from China for defender Jordan Amavi.

Villa owner Dr Tony Xia has turned down the offer for the French under-21 international and insisted he is not for sale in the January transfer window.

Amavi was targeted by a mystery club in the cash-rich Chinese Super League but Villa are determined to keep the core of Steve Bruce’s squad together as they bid to mount a promotion challenge.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/12/28/aston-villa-transfer-news-club-reject-25m-bid-jordan-amavi-china/

Like I've already said, I'm glad it was rejected. No longer will this club constantly sell it's best players. 

3 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I am not convinced that this £25m offer actually occurred but if it did it could only be from a club in China. 

It's too big a risk for a Premier League club. 

Torygraph reporting the bid as coming from China , no idea if it's true or not though

first Ayew now Amavi maybe it's a secret plan to move Aston Villa to the Chinese league one player at a time ? 

7 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Doesn't work like that. You can sign an experienced pro like Elphick and have your pants pulled down. You can sign a young up and coming player like Gollini and the same thing can happen. We have a player with genuine ability here, maybe not the finished article but he is being watched by some heavy hitters for a reason. 

£15m for Gareth Barry was a good deal in the end with one year left on his contract. So glad we shipped Gary Cahill out, we really needed that £5m at the time. You can't turn down £26m for James Milner. I honestly think that £12m for Ashley Young is fine, we've gotten good value from him and N'Zogbia will be a more than able replacement. Just think what we can do with that £32m for Benteke...

On and on it goes. **** the money. I follow the football club, not the bank account. You lot are insane. 

I agree that it doesn't always work out that the replacement is as good as the one we let go but, that is more down to who we had bringing the replacements in and with what available money that was given to them. For instance, the Benteke money was given to Sherwood (that's debatable considering the rumours that people higher than him chose the players) to replace him with. Gestede wasn't the replacement we needed and everyone bar Sherwood knew that. 

We are in a different position now and won't need to sell to buy so we can re-invest the money wiser rather than having to use it to buy a whole new squad with. 

Amavi is a good player and a decent prospect for sure but he was far from faultless in the few appearances last season and this season he's been hit and miss too. He was excellent first half against Norwich but second half he played like he was a poor lookalike. I wouldn't accept anything under £15m for him but £25m, in my opinion, is too much to turn down for him. 

9 hours ago, villarocker said:

For the record, at £25m, I'd bite their hands off. We can replace him easily with that amount of money and still have plenty spare to spend elsewhere. Now, I don't know who I'd replace him with but, people paid to do the scouting should! 

Name some good left backs we can easily replace him with? We have had some really shit left backs over the years. Remember Samuel? Luna? Or the superb Bennett?

• Like 1

Glad the big offer didn't come from Liverpool, Amavi will be less gutted. Interesting that Chinese clubs are looking at players of his type, we could be in serious competition with Chinese clubs for the next young good european player.

I like it that Tony came out with a strong statement. We aren't sellers any more.

However, I'm slightly worried about Amavi now that everybody thinks we could've sold him for 25 mill. If he starts to play poorly, will the crowd turn against him?

I really hope not.

10 hours ago, villarocker said:

For the record, at £25m, I'd bite their hands off. We can replace him easily with that amount of money... I don't know who I'd replace him with but, people paid to do the scouting should! 

I don't mean this in a bad way, but if you have no idea who we could replace him with, can't think of anyone and yet we believe scouts from other clubs think he's worth spending 25 million on, it kind of suggests that we couldn't replace him easily, that in the left back market, he's the man to get.

• Like 1

How about this for an analogy...

I'm a landlord and rent out a flat. There's a few basic appliances that could do with being replaced but the fancy french fridge, despite a small leak every now and then, is reliable and also rather attractive (;)). I could sell the fridge on to a mate who has offered me £2,500 for it, which I could spend on getting a better vacuum, microwave and maybe even top of the range kettle and toaster.

But, I'm a millionaire landlord. If the shops are open, I can buy those things anyway. What I don't want to do is flog my fridge for £2500, buy a £1000 version and hope that it's as good, and then have to replace it every year when it doesn't meet the tenants expectations. I can afford to have it all.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

Â