Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

1 hour ago, JPAngel said:

Have we ever got good value for selling on any of our players since Lerner arrived? I feel like we pay high prices and get low sell on fees for everyone. Other than Downing and maybe Benteke we let our boys go for pennies!

Downing, Milner, Young, Benteke all had big fees (20-30 million I think). Barry and Delph went for comparative peanuts but yes the trend is that we let players wallow until they are worthless. 

I would imagine the release clause is a relegation one but if this is true without question he will go to Spurs and I don't really blame him. One of the players I do not hate so I do wish him the best if he does go. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Downing, Milner, Young, Benteke all had big fees (20-30 million I think). Barry and Delph went for comparative peanuts but yes the trend is that we let players wallow until they are worthless. 

I would imagine the release clause is a relegation one but if this is true without question he will go to Spurs and I don't really blame him. One of the players I do not hate so I do wish him the best if he does go. 

Yeah but even Young and Milner went for nowhere near what they were worth!

41 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

Yeah but even Young and Milner went for nowhere near what they were worth!

We got £18m for Young with just a year on his contract, and £23m for Milner was a lot for someone who just really huffs and puffs.  It's our fault we spent it on a load of shite or got Ireland in return, but they were decent fees IMO.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Apparently spurs are set to trigger the 7.1m release clause. I still dont get why the hell we put in a 7m release clause if we paid 10m? Surely you put in the figure you paid. Another masterstroke from that imbecile Tom Fox

Why would you put in the figure you paid? 

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

The £7m is obviously a relegation release clause which him and his agent would have put in. It's not really that baffling.

We would have asked him to take a wage cut in case of relegation, so he would have asked for a lower release clause put in in case of relegation. It's a two way thing.  It's not rocket science.  

I understand the reasoning, it is baffling we would agree with it.

Fought relegation four years running, sign player for £10m with a £3m loss guaranteed if you are relegated. Cracking business.

Why is it baffling we have relegation release clauses? It's exactly the same as us putting in wage reduction clauses in. It benefits both parties. We don't know the exact fee we paid or the exact relegation clause but I doubt there's much difference in them. As for Spurs trying to sign Gana he isn't anywhere near Champions League level but does have potential so doubt they'll be in for him. They'd surely want to improve the team not just add squad players. 

8 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Why is it baffling we have relegation release clauses? It's exactly the same as us putting in wage reduction clauses in. It benefits both parties. We don't know the exact fee we paid or the exact relegation clause but I doubt there's much difference in them. As for Spurs trying to sign Gana he isn't anywhere near Champions League level but does have potential so doubt they'll be in for him. They'd surely want to improve the team not just add squad players. 

Do you think there are any other clubs signing players with release clauses less than the transfer fee? Even in the event of relegation, I can guarantee they are not.

We, as a club, have been weak as piss for so **** long.

26 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I understand the reasoning, it is baffling we would agree with it.

Fought relegation four years running, sign player for £10m with a £3m loss guaranteed if you are relegated. Cracking business.

Well the player probably wouldn't have come otherwise.... 

49 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Do you think there are any other clubs signing players with release clauses less than the transfer fee? Even in the event of relegation, I can guarantee they are not.

We, as a club, have been weak as piss for so **** long.

lol.

We've been in financial difficulties and being relegated doesn't help that.  When negotiating with players, and with the possibility of being relegated, you offer clauses that mean the club doesn't get shafted.  e.g: 50% wage drops for players if we go down.  What kind of player signs that without some assurances from the club, though?  So you create a middle ground.  You'll get a 50% wage drop but, if an offer comes in for £<x>m, you can speak to another club.  That's the balance struck meaning the player signs for you.

Without these clauses in place, a club could be shafted financially.  Jonjo Shelvey apparently has no release clause but, similarly, no wage drop for his rumoured £80k/wk.  That's how to negotiate poorly.  They'll likely have problems shifting him from their playing staff - and I doubt he'd want to leave (5 and a half years at £80k/wk, lol).

More fool the other clubs that you "guarantee" don't do this :D

26 minutes ago, bobzy said:

lol.

We've been in financial difficulties and being relegated doesn't help that.  When negotiating with players, and with the possibility of being relegated, you offer clauses that mean the club doesn't get shafted.  e.g: 50% wage drops for players if we go down.  What kind of player signs that without some assurances from the club, though?  So you create a middle ground.  You'll get a 50% wage drop but, if an offer comes in for £<x>m, you can speak to another club.  That's the balance struck meaning the player signs for you.

Without these clauses in place, a club could be shafted financially.  Jonjo Shelvey apparently has no release clause but, similarly, no wage drop for his rumoured £80k/wk.  That's how to negotiate poorly.  They'll likely have problems shifting him from their playing staff - and I doubt he'd want to leave (5 and a half years at £80k/wk, lol).

More fool the other clubs that you "guarantee" don't do this :D

Not really because if a player demanded a £3m loss on a release clause I would either tell him don't worry about the wage reduction or to **** off.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

That is the minimum figure i would put in

Then you wouldn't have the player sign.

The entire point of having relegation clauses is because players want to have options to leave if the club is relegated. It's going to be lower than the price you paid because their stock will drop after being relegated.

Common sense really.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Not really because if a player demanded a £3m loss on a release clause I would either tell him don't worry about the wage reduction or to **** off.

So, as chairman, you'd be happy with a premier league wage bill in the championship, or not signing any players at all?

Â