Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

9 hours ago, Ginko said:

If Gestede had better stats than Messi I'd be inclined to agree.

I'm sure stats proved bannan was an exceptional winger at one point. 

Stats don't paint the whole picture. Watching kante shows he's better.

Im not saying Kante isn't better, I'm saying it's an unfair test to compare the two so closely when one played in a Premier League winning team and the other played in the worst team in the league. So no, stats don't paint the whole picture, but I don't think you're taking  everything under consideration either.

Edited by Ginko

On 10/06/2016 at 08:36, Demitri_C said:

Apparently spurs are set to trigger the 7.1m release clause. I still dont get why the hell we put in a 7m release clause if we paid 10m? Surely you put in the figure you paid. Another masterstroke from that imbecile Tom Fox

We've been through this.

Because it's put in by the player (or his agent).

We would have almost certainly wanted a higher release clause, and Gana and his agent probably wanted a lower clause. We negotiated and agreed on £7m

It's how it works.

Tom Fox didn't sit there and say "Right, Gana is going to sign.. wait! Before he signs, just stick a relegation release clause in there. Because why not?!"

• Like 1

On 12/06/2016 at 20:54, Stevo985 said:

We've been through this.

Because it's put in by the player (or his agent).

We would have almost certainly wanted a higher release clause, and Gana and his agent probably wanted a lower clause. We negotiated and agreed on £7m

It's how it works.

Tom Fox didn't sit there and say "Right, Gana is going to sign.. wait! Before he signs, just stick a relegation release clause in there. Because why not?!"

I expect when the club says they want a clause to reduce the players wages in the event of relegation the first thing the agent says is OK but to protect our position we need a release clause which gives us a reasonable chance of escaping. A bit of security for us in exchange for a bit of security for you.  That would make sense to me or else refuse to sign for anyone wanting a clause for reduced wages following relegation 

But I don't even think we paid 10 mil for him, so many of the transfers are exaggerated by the media to make it seem more exciting, according to transfer market (is that reliable???) we paid 6.75 mil. In fact France press claimed it was 6.5 mil, ours claimed 9 mil.

so maybe 7 mil is closer to the fee we paid than we think - as there could have been a lot more add ons following the initial outlay main of them possibly not met

Edited by VillanousOne

It was about 9m I thought.

7m isn't too bad for him.

Way people are talking you'd never this squad is one of the worst top flight teams of all time. I'd say them all contributing to that (and Gana started many many games) would knock a million or two off value. 

I just see Gana as another NRC, someone who can tackle and has lots of energy but let's not kid ourselves, the bloke was very mediocre when in possesion.

Reo-Coker left on a free so lets not get too sniffy about "only" getting 7m for Gana. It adds to the pot of the 30m for this season so quite happy with that. 

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 11:10, Michael118 said:

I don't care much for stats but my eyeball test says they are fairly similar. Actually, if picking between the two long term I would probably take Gana. I think Ranieri's influence at Leicester can't be underestimated.

Should've gone to specsavers. Kanté is miles better than Gana, it's not even close.

Based on last season Kante was better than Gueye. But has Kante ever had a season as good as the last one, in his whole career? He's 25, so it might suggest that it wasn' the norm for him, and there's a good chance he'll regress to his normal form over the coming seasons. Gueye probably has more scope to improve.

2 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

I'd still rather have Kante than Gueye.

Kante grew as the season progressed, however Gueye had a few decent games at the start but became totally anonymous at times.

Football is an easy game to play when you're in a team that is high on confidence and winning all the time. 

PS - I'd prefer Kante too just for the record. But I imagine Kante would have had a very similar season with us like Gana did. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

I'd still rather have Kante than Gueye.

Kante grew as the season progressed, however Gueye had a few decent games at the start but became totally anonymous at times.

One played in a team which had a clear game plan each player knew their role exactly and each player carried it out to perfection. This team won the league.

The other played for a club that had papered over cracks for 5 seasons with players who, well let's face it were (not all) not exactly consumate professionals throughout the season and some seemed to forget how to play a pretty simple game. This team finished 19 places behind the other team and is being considered one of the worst PL teams ever. 

Very difficult to compare their respective individual seasons.

11 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Kante is several levels above Gana, end of story, there's really no debate.

He's really not - he's had a great season, though.

Before this season, he was unheard of and uncapped.

• Like 1

Managers who win 'manager of the month' often go on bad runs the following month. Some people think that it must be because winning it is jinxed, but it's because if you've had an expectional period, then it's to be expected, that that level of performance will drop off. Kante's form will probably drop off next season and maybe Gueye's will form will improve, but whether that means that Gueye will out perform Kante is a different matter, he probably won't.

Â