Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

8 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

I suppose it is a different sort of speed. The British leagues have always been frenetic whereas the continental leagues are more technically quick. If you admire accuracy and measured play, it is an art. 

I feel it's a bit cold at times for me and I feel it lacks flair, not saying there are no flair players but how they are used is different. I feel art should have some indulgences, I don't feel the Bundesliga has that. 

I feel the other way around, although the enormous influx of foreign players to the PL has improved this in the last 20 years, but there you go.

Tastes varies.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Tis I, else it the devil thou speaketh
to this sorry weekend. I don't blame
thee, rapscallion, for I loveth also
the honeysuckle of Premier League
football, and would too, if it were not
against my custom, strike a deal
with the hornéd one, would wear
gladly a monstrous teat, if it bring
Villa success again, fine success
and lower ticket prices.

:clap:

18 minutes ago, sne said:

I feel the other way around, although the enormous influx of foreign players to the PL has improved this in the last 20 years, but there you go.

Tastes varies.

Agree, tastes do vary.

The other thing is I am not really invested in other leagues as much as the PL. I used to follow Hannover, Juve and Athletico a lot but over the years it has waned. Used to love Football Italia on Channel 4. 

• Like 1

Just now, GeneralJazzman said:

Agree, tastes do vary.

The other thing is I am not really invested in other leagues as much as the PL. I used to follow Hannover, Juve and Athletico a lot but over the years it has waned. Used to love Football Italia on Channel 4. 

My interest in football has gone down too in recent years. Used to spend all weekends and many weeknights watching games from the PL, Bundesliga, Serie A La Liga, Ligue 1 and the Swedish Allsvenska + CL and the UEFA Cup..

Was pretty much all I did in my spare time. Used to write columns in the local paper and had a pretty serious blog about sport (mostly football) for a couple of years. At least 1 or 2 loooong articles every day.

Followed Villa and IFK Gothenburg since I was 5, started following Sampdoria in the late 80's  

Then thanks to Eurogoals on Eurosport and the internet i started following Wolfsburg, Saint Etienne & Betis in the mid 90's (mostly to have a team to root for in those leagues, not as a real fan)

With Villa relegated and not on Swedish telly next season I guess I'll have to follow Gana in the Bundesliga :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sne said:

My interest in football has gone down too in recent years. Used to spend all weekends and many weeknights watching games from the PL, Bundesliga, Serie A La Liga, Ligue 1 and the Swedish Allsvenska + CL and the UEFA Cup..

Was pretty much all I did in my spare time. Used to write columns in the local paper and had a pretty serious blog about sport (mostly football) for a couple of years. At least 1 or 2 loooong articles every day.

Followed Villa and IFK Gothenburg since I was 5, started following Sampdoria in the late 80's  

Then thanks to Eurogoals on Eurosport and the internet i started following Wolfsburg, Saint Etienne & Betis in the mid 90's (mostly to have a team to root for in those leagues, not as a real fan)

With Villa relegated and not on Swedish telly next season I guess I'll have to follow Gana in the Bundesliga :)

Bet that kept you busy! Used to enjoy Gothenberg in the Champions league during the 90s. Same with me following teams, just wanted to root for someone. But Juve I do have a proper soft spot for.

Gana would suit Bundesliga, he is technically gifted.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Xela said:

A player with delusions of grandeur 

I guess he can point to being a regular appearence maker for Lille who were regulars in the europa league and not far off CL place in France as a more reliable guide to clubs.

I think him and Ayew are our most sell able assests this summer, maybe 6m for each so 12m to rebuild plus whatever pennies Lerner puts in on top.

7 minutes ago, John said:

£6m each would not be enough for me to sell either of them. We need to adopt the Daniel Levy approach to selling players that has served Spurs so well. If his agent wants Gana out of the club he had better find a club that will bid what we paid for him at the very least.  

That's all well and good but Spurs generally only get inflated prices for players who have performed. Villa took a massive £9m gamble on Gana and he's proven he is not up to the task either technically or attitude. So we won't be getting our money back. Based on his performances he's probably worth £4/5m tops. Ayew at least has shown flashes and contributed and arguably he's shown enough glimpses for someone to buy him for the same money we spent to see if he can perform even better with a decent team.

We will lose money on all but Ayew this summer if we try to sell them. Even Lescott. But I couldn't care less if they all go, few of them a good enough even for the Championship. We'd be better off with the likes of Gardner than Gueye, players who know the Championship, have performed well and WANT to be at Villa.

I expect we'll be seeing Gardner, Baker, Bennett and Steer in the first XI next season in place of Guzan, Bacuna, Lescott and Gueye and personally I think we'll be marginally better for it. Similar skill but with less wages and a lot more desire.

Villa took a massive £9m gamble on Gana and he's proven he is not up to the task either technically or attitude.

Attitude ?? You would fault his attitude ?? Geezus - I'll grant that occasionally he has fallen victim to the poor play malaise that has infected the others - but dont confuse that with attitude. He is, like Ayew, a player who would improve a lot in a decent team...

1 minute ago, SirSteveUK said:

Attitude ?? You would fault his attitude ?? Geezus - I'll grant that occasionally he has fallen victim to the poor play malaise that has infected the others - but dont confuse that with attitude. He is, like Ayew, a player who would improve a lot in a decent team...

He is a player that joined Villa and within minutes said he was using us as a stepping stone to a big club. He is a player who on the day of our relegation either instructed or allowed his agent to say he was off this summer. So yes, his attitude. I don't fault his effort (certainly his quality) most of the time but when push comes to shove he actually doesn't care in the slightest. His attitude is that he above the likes of Villa when it is as much his fault as any others that we're going down.

I was only querying the doubts expressed about his on-field attitude - given what he hoped would happen, 

As for his agent - we all think he'll be gone - so why be surprised/upset??  He gets his wish - though taint by association might harm his rep - but I doubt it.

4 hours ago, SirSteveUK said:

I was only querying the doubts expressed about his on-field attitude - given what he hoped would happen, 

As for his agent - we all think he'll be gone - so why be surprised/upset??  He gets his wish - though taint by association might harm his rep - but I doubt it.

However expected it was the timing that was appalling. Clearly couldn't give a shit about the club, or at least those he employs to represent him. If ever there was a time to keep your mouth shut, this weekend was it.

Statistically he's second only to Kante in terms of tackles and blocks and defensive stuff this season in the Premier league - of course that's helped by us not doing any attacking, but I think those saying we should be looking at £6m each for Ayew and Gueye are working on a financial level that isn't there any more - I think we can legitimately be looking at around £25m for the pair.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Statistically he's second only to Kante in terms of tackles and blocks and defensive stuff this season in the Premier league - of course that's helped by us not doing any attacking, but I think those saying we should be looking at £6m each for Ayew and Gueye are working on a financial level that isn't there any more - I think we can legitimately be looking at around £25m for the pair.

So all we need to do is find someone who used the same flawed system that masks him from not being a very good footballer as we did to scout him and we'll be laughing.

Like when Liverpool bought Downing as he had a high assist rate and then it turned out it was just because he took corners.

27 minutes ago, SirSteveUK said:

Wouldn't that be a loss?

Not in todays world.  You buy a player for say 12 million 4 year contract.  Say he stays the same value he would lose 3 million per season in relative value, until nothing at end of contract.  So anything over 6.75 million for him (presuming he was on 4 year contact) could be considered profit.

Â