Idrissa Gana Gueye

BowenAVFC

21 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Not really because if a player demanded a £3m loss on a release clause I would either tell him don't worry about the wage reduction or to **** off.

Thankfully, you're not involved in player contracts at Villa!

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Do you think there are any other clubs signing players with release clauses less than the transfer fee? Even in the event of relegation, I can guarantee they are not.

We, as a club, have been weak as piss for so **** long.

You can't guarantee anything unless you know every contract. People slagged the club over Delph yet he wouldn't have signed without a release clause so we made £8m! Gana's supposed release clause is £7.1m we signed him for an undisclosed fee which on sites put it at £6.75m. Don't get confused with £'s and €'s as loads of journalists did last year! Anyway we are rich now so who cares!!! 

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Do you think there are any other clubs signing players with release clauses less than the transfer fee? Even in the event of relegation, I can guarantee they are not.

Pretty sure Townsend does for Newcastle. It's a pretty standard thing... 

• Like 1

I'd imagine most of the clubs in and around the bottom half of a league will have relegation clauses and why wouldn't that fee be less than the current worth of that player?

It's insurance for players joining relegation threatened clubs that they won't be locked into a four year contract at a club that could drop down a level or two and get paid substantially less due to the inevitable wage cut. Not to mention the fact that their stock will have fallen with a relegation on their CVs and generally speaking players in lower leagues cost less than their counterparts in higher leagues anyway.

It's how clubs are still able to attract decent prospects. Why would a good player join a club that's got a good chance of going down unless there was an 'out' in their contract?

Yes, it's very mercenary, but it's a job to most of them and they're in a very fortunate position to negotiate to various extents.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

How does your guarantee get along with the fairly widely reported £8m release clause that Andros Townsend has at Newcastle? 

Between £2m - £4m less than Newcastle paid for him.

Edited by ml1dch

20 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I'd be surprised if Spurs wanted him but I wouldn't be if someone like Everton or West Ham came in for him. Spurs, I'd think, would be looking for proven quality at champions league level. 

Gana is up there with Kante stats wise as the  2  best DM in the prem, I can see why spurs are looking at him.....especially for £7.1m if the clause is correct 

1 hour ago, deamie said:

Gana is up there with Kante stats wise as the  2  best DM in the prem, I can see why spurs are looking at him.....especially for £7.1m if the clause is correct 

Yes, I know the stats but seriously is Gana anyway near as good as Kante? From what I saw last season he's not.

Did you watch France last night? Kante was superb, he was breaking up play constantly and his passing was quality, at least until the last quarter. 

I'm not saying Gana's bad, in fact I'd love it if he stays with us. He'd could be amazing in the Championship. But I'd be surprised if Spurs bought him just based on last seasons stats. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I wouldn't have lost us £3m + £2m in wages down the drain.

Then you wouldn't have signed the player. Plus, according to L'Equippe, the fee we paid was £6.5m.

Anyway, I imagine these kinds of clauses are in place at all struggling clubs.

37 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Yes, I know the stats but seriously is Gana anyway near as good as Kante? From what I saw last season he's not.

Did you watch France last night? Kante was superb, he was breaking up play constantly and his passing was quality, at least until the last quarter. 

I'm not saying Gana's bad, in fact I'd love it if he stays with us. He'd could be amazing in the Championship. But I'd be surprised if Spurs bought him just based on last seasons stats. 

You can't really say which of the two are better as it's not a fair test; they were playing for teams at both ends of the table. It'd be hard for one player to look good in a team as terrible as ours last season.

59 minutes ago, Ginko said:

You can't really say which of the two are better as it's not a fair test; they were playing for teams at both ends of the table. It'd be hard for one player to look good in a team as terrible as ours last season.

maybe is a reason 1 plays for best team in league and another plays for the worst ;)

19 hours ago, Ginko said:

You can't really say which of the two are better as it's not a fair test; they werewer playing for teams at both ends of the table. It'd be hard for one player to look good in a team as terrible as ours last season.

What? 

I'm pretty sure most people who have watched them play could say who is better. 

I guess I can't say messi is better than gestede as it's not a fair test. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, deamie said:

This is a prime example why you always need to temper stats with the eye ball test. Gana is a million miles away from Kante in terms of ability and performances, Kante is on another planet. 

Whilst Gana is a decent defensive midfielder and a good athlete he's extremely limited and total shite on the ball. That said, Gana is good enough to play for most teams in the bottom 12 of the Premier League. 

40 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What? 

I'm pretty sure most people who have watched them play could say who is better. 

I guess I can't say messi is better than gestede as it's not a fair test. 

If Gestede had better stats than Messi I'd be inclined to agree.

Edited by Ginko

I don't care much for stats but my eyeball test says they are fairly similar. Actually, if picking between the two long term I would probably take Gana. I think Ranieri's influence at Leicester can't be underestimated.

Â