Micah Richards

Demitri_C

23 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Richards on a free who That's likplayed for City and Fiorentina was a coup for us at the time. Easy to say it was a terrible signing now. It wasnt at the time

If the proof is in the pudding, what you've said is like saying the proof is in the mixing of the ingredients before you've cooked the pudding. If there are raw eggs in that pudding you could get sick. Basically, it was a mistake to buy him as a CB. We're a mess of a team with only the likes of Westwood, Hutton, Guzan, Lescott and now Cissokho having any experience in their positions in the Premiership. 

1 minute ago, honest_bertie said:

To be honest I don't know. But I prefer Vlaar as a CB.

But he wanted to leave so that really isnt  a option is it? I just dont believe people were saying he was that bad a signing on a free. I thought it was a coup of a signing at the time. Still think he is decent but he needs another leader CB next to him. Lescott and clark both are not

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

But he wanted to leave so that really isnt  a option is it? I just dont believe people were saying he was that bad a signing on a free. I thought it was a coup of a signing at the time. Still think he is decent but he needs another leader CB next to him. Lescott and clark both are not

Yet both are easily as good as Richards at CB. 

i thi nk any ability he has is vastly outweighed by a shite attitude

Did Vlaar want to leave or did villa decide not to renew his contract, I don't know so will take your word for it. I just never felt comfortable with Richards coming here to be a cb. He declared before signing that's his position and I think his stubbornness to be a cb is damaging to the team. Never thought he'd make a good captain either. As much as people here slag of vlaar he always seemed a passionate yet respectful captain that took his responsobilitily seriously. Micah seems like he's main passion is defeding himself on Twitter and in the papers. I hoped he would prove me wrong but I never thought he'd cut it as a captain and so far think that's the case. If he acknowledged his shortcomings as a CB to date and declared he was happy to play RB that would to me show more leadership skills and that he cares about Villa as much as himself.

Edited by honest_bertie

2 minutes ago, honest_bertie said:

Did Vlaar want to leave or did villa decide not to renew his contract, I don't know so will take your word for it. I just never felt comfortable with Richards coming here to be a cb. He declared before signing that's his position and I think his stubbornness to be a cb is damaging to the team. Never thought he'd make a good captain either. As much as people here slag of vlaar he always seemed a passionate yet respectful captain that took his responsobilitily seriously. Micah seems like he's main passion is defeding himself on Twitter and in the papers. I hoped he would prove me wrong but I never thought he'd cut it as a captain and so far think that's the case. If he acknowledged his shortcomings as a CB to date and declared he was happy to play RB that would to me show more leadership skills and that he cares about Villa as much as himself.

I think Vlaar got offered a new contract, but declined.

24 minutes ago, Xela said:

Where does this view that Richards has a shit attitude come from?

im sure somebody mentioned he had a bad attitude because he celebrated like crazy for his goal so its prob just another stick to beat him with

18 hours ago, Nabby said:

Of course Sherwood is the one who brought him in , I just mean is another in a line of dumb transfers over the last decade or so 

I was really just pointing out that Lerner is at fault for much more important, and much more damaging, things at our club than for any particular transfer.

Richards is a prime example of what has been a massive oversight in Villa's transfer policy in recent times and that's a complete lack of character profiling.

As a result we've ended up with a squad of players with huge personality defects (in a footballing sense).  We have a team lacking in maturity, confidence, spirit, respect, work ethic... the list goes on.  I know not every player has all of these characteristics, but you have to try and get a blend of guys together who have enough of them to carry the ones that don't.

A good example of a team that does this well is the New England Patriots in the NFL (I know its not football but bear with me because the point still stands).  They built a core of players who were so strong in that respect that they could regularly take risks on troublesome or problem players who other teams wouldn't take the risk with - what happened was that if these volatile guys played up, the senior core of the team would put them in their place or at worst not allow them to disrupt the mood of the team.

Richards is a loud guy who plays the joker a lot (see the Christmas secret santa video as an example).  He's come into our squad of quiet, shy, impressionable players and all of a sudden he's made himself the alpha male.  Now that in itself is fine, we do need that type of character, but sadly he's shown himself to be quite immature at the same time.  His reaction to Ian Wright on twitter the other weekend was embarrassing and if rumours of him taking the piss out of the new manager by doing impressions of him are true then that's even worse.  In nearly all other teams there'd have been senior players who'd have had a word by now, told him to knuckle down rather than lash out on social media, show respect rather than play the clown, perhaps even told him to wise up and stop being so stubborn with regards to his demand to play at CB who knows!  I have no doubt that Remi Garde has pointed out the flaws in his game and spoken to him about his lack of positional awareness, but he's like a cocky kid at school who thinks he doesn't have to listen to the teacher. 

Now there's a fair few assumptions in all that, but I'd bet good money that it's not far off the mark. But despite all that and regardless of how bad he's looked recently, Richards is a good player in the right team/squad... just not in this one.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

if rumours of him taking the piss out of the new manager by doing impressions of him are true then that's even worse.  

That is pathetic if true. Way to increase squad morale.

Initially I thought he could be good for us but am no longer convinced Richards has what it takes. He seems to lack the ability to dominate and the awareness that the likes of Vlaar, Laursen and other CBs had in the past. 

Where does this view that Richards has a shit attitude come from?

He tweeted MOTD saying some of the criticism was harsh.

And...

A post match interview, where he looked gutted that we lost and harshly criticised the team for not doing enough.

He was emotional, seemed passionate, but you could have read his words as criticism of his team mates.

Really, there is no evidence that his attitude to his profession is bad. I think he is hurting because he's never played in such a poor team or played so badly himself. He's made some ill advised comments I think he felt he needed to make as captain. Not hugely controversial in opinion, I think it's slightly unfair, especially the abuse.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Those 'rumours' sound like complete horseshit, but they've done their job anyway, they now seem to be received wisdom. 

This.

Totally made up.

I might tweet something about N'Zogbia enjoying eating babies' brains and see if it gets taken as gospel

anything put on Twitter seems to be.

• Like 1

N'Zogbia's reputation couldn't be worse at Villa, there's nothing you could really say to make people want him out more than they already do! 

As for the 'impressions' - the problem there is that it's totally believable that a chavvy idiot footballer like Richards (or Gabby or a number of others in the squad) would do something like that. 

Â