PauloBarnesi

51 minutes ago, bobzy said:

God it’s annoying when people trot out honours over time when judging other clubs. Presumably we’re also shit as we haven’t won anything for 25 years?

No but generally historically big clubs have honours to back them up. Nobody would say Villa are a huge club NOW, but we have a rich history and you could easily say we're historically amongst the biggest clubs in England.

West Ham seem to have a similar status, but not much to back it up.

(PS we are shit to be fair)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

No but generally historically big clubs have honours to back them up. Nobody would say Villa are a huge club NOW, but we have a rich history and you could easily say we're historically amongst the biggest clubs in England.

West Ham seem to have a similar status, but not much to back it up.

(PS we are shit to be fair)

They have a similar status because they’re a long term top flight team. Honours over 20 years ago are completely irrelevant to a clubs standing.

The fact people care so much is ludicrous in itself but “myth of a club”? Maybe the Super League is a good idea and we can just sack off the rest of football.

56 minutes ago, bobzy said:

God it’s annoying when people trot out honours over time when judging other clubs. Presumably we’re also shit as we haven’t won anything for 25 years?

Not sure what measuring stick you can use to judge the size of West ham to be honest, they've won very little, spent next to no time anywhere near the top, not played in europe much, the big stadium they have was a gift, they don't have that much commercial success or have mega rich owners (the 3 of them added together don't come to WE wealth let alone NS) the myth of them seems to be that they're a big club due to them being popular on Fleet Street 

That said us and west ham arguing over "big club" is bald men fighting over a comb, we're both nothing clubs in the current PL climate

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, bobzy said:

They have a similar status because they’re a long term top flight team. Honours over 20 years ago are completely irrelevant to a clubs standing.

Not when you're referring to a time period that includes 20 years ago, which is what was being referred to.

Yeah I can’t think of another club that has a higher profile with a relatively small trophy haul. That in itself is something of an achievement.

Sure being a mainstay in the top flight is a factor, but I’d say Southampton who (with the exception of 6 or 7 years) have been in the top flight since the end of the 70’s have nowhere near the same profile as West Ham (who over that time have also been out of the top flight, albeit not for a prolonged single period).

West Ham will rightly be receiving more attention at the moment because of their current form. But I don’t think it’s unfair to say West Ham finishing 15th generates more discussion than Southampton finishing 15th. Likewise I think if West Ham finished 4th, it would probably gain more attention and adulation than Southampton finishing 4th.

London, innit.

On 18/11/2021 at 13:38, bobzy said:

Obviously we aren't performing as well currently but historically and achievement wise West Ham are a complete piss ant compared to us. Despite being shit forever we are the 7th most successful club in English football history. West Ham are 18th, just above Huddersfield Town. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, useless said:

I notice they've only won one in five now in the league now and also lost in midweek at home to Dinamo Zagreb. Maybe a sign that they're reverting back to the West Ham we're more used to.

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 18/11/2021 at 14:34, bobzy said:

The fact people care so much is ludicrous in itself but “myth of a club”? Maybe the Super League is a good idea and we can just sack off the rest of football.

Bit late to this but wasn't last season only the second time they've finished top 6 in top division in about 30 years?

O.k you don't get any trophy for it but it's a decent metric for club doing well. I mean we'd be in double figures in same time span as probably would be Everton, Newcastle 7-8 times for mid 90s-early 200s. Oh and Leeds aswell.:ph34r:

On 19/11/2021 at 01:39, villa4europe said:

That said us and west ham arguing over "big club" is bald men fighting over a comb, we're both nothing clubs in the current PL climate

or an attempt to find the tallest dwarf.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Don’t we want West Ham to **** up Spurs, Arsenal and Man U a bit?

Would be nice if the last Champions League spot was open to a club like West Ham (and by extension ourselves). 

As much as I dislike spam, I/we all should be hoping any of the scum6 finish as low as possible.

not for me

west ham getting 4th would be sky singing everything is awesome, how great is the PL, best league in the world

but nothing would actually change, like i said in the leicester thread eventually it would just return to the same old faces spending hundreds of millions thanks to their bedding and denim partners and the 4 or the 6 wont be broken, man utd dont get 4th but the cycle will be broken? not a chance, utd spend a billion quid and get the manager wrong, they get 5th this year spend a billion quid and eventually get the manager right but the rest of us are supposed to compete with that?

i dont think anything will really ever truly change until sky and their viewers think this is boring and call it out for what it is

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

not for me

west ham getting 4th would be sky singing everything is awesome, how great is the PL, best league in the world

but nothing would actually change, like i said in the leicester thread eventually it would just return to the same old faces spending hundreds of millions thanks to their bedding and denim partners and the 4 or the 6 wont be broken, man utd dont get 4th but the cycle will be broken? not a chance, utd spend a billion quid and get the manager wrong, they get 5th this year spend a billion quid and eventually get the manager right but the rest of us are supposed to compete with that?

i dont think anything will really ever truly change until sky and their viewers think this is boring and call it out for what it is

If people stop subscribing to Sky/watching football then maybe.

Other than that, other clubs breaking the top 4/6/whatever dominance is always, always, always a good thing.  We've all got to hope it somehow happens more regularly than the Leicester blip.

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

If people stop subscribing to Sky/watching football then maybe.

Other than that, other clubs breaking the top 4/6/whatever dominance is always, always, always* a good thing.  We've all got to hope it somehow happens more regularly than the Leicester blip.

* except if it's West Ham or another team I hate

Â