PauloBarnesi

On 31/01/2021 at 11:40, rjw63 said:

Ray Stewart dodgy penalty I believe.

Or was that 1980?

David Axel was the ref. Later convicted of some sort of dodginess and sent for a spell in the Big House. Not exactly a surprise.

• Like 1

only by chance playing FIFA last night i saw that felipe anderson was at porto on loan

he's been there since october...£40m player sent out on loan 2 years in to his 5 year deal, when you add that to the £20m hit they took on haller after 18 months, £20m yarmolenko has started 1 game this season, benrahma has started 9 games 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

only by chance playing FIFA last night i saw that felipe anderson was at porto on loan

he's been there since october...£40m player sent out on loan 2 years in to his 5 year deal, when you add that to the £20m hit they took on haller after 18 months, £20m yarmolenko has started 1 game this season, benrahma has started 9 games 

Ehh . . . if you're going to have a strong squad, with genuine quality on the bench, that's pretty much what it's going to look like.

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Ehh . . . if you're going to have a strong squad, with genuine quality on the bench, that's pretty much what it's going to look like.

What, getting rid of your record purchases?  Not sure that's entirely correct.

• Like 1

Yeah to me it looks more like they're doing well in spite of whoever is in charge of their transfers, they're buying shit and yet have still climbed the table

from the last 5 years - 

haller £40m sold already, ajeti £8m out on loan, felipe anderson £40m out on loan, issa diop £25m started 3 PL games, yarmolenko £20m started 1 game, Lucas Perez £4m out on loan, arnautovic £22m hes gone, chicarito whatever his real name was £18m gone, Ayew £22m gone, hugill £10m gone, Snodgrass £12m and they pulled him out of the fire, Fonte £10m gone, they've spent around £35m in loan fees, even their free transfers like feghouli, arbeloa, carlos sanchez, wilshere, nordveit they've all gone! they've signed 35 players in 5 years and only 13 of them are still there, they've spent £400m

• Shocked 1

46 minutes ago, bobzy said:

What, getting rid of your record purchases?  Not sure that's entirely correct.

I'm more referring to the second half of the post I suppose; if you have 4 or 5 quality attacking midfielders, then 2 of them are not going to have started many games.

On Felipe Anderson in particular, it wasn't a good purchase, but no club gets every signing right. They've replaced him with better and found a way to get him out the door, it could be worse.

26 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Yeah to me it looks more like they're doing well in spite of whoever is in charge of their transfers, they're buying shit and yet have still climbed the table

from the last 5 years - 

haller £40m sold already, ajeti £8m out on loan, felipe anderson £40m out on loan, issa diop £25m started 3 PL games, yarmolenko £20m started 1 game, Lucas Perez £4m out on loan, arnautovic £22m hes gone, chicarito whatever his real name was £18m gone, Ayew £22m gone, hugill £10m gone, Snodgrass £12m and they pulled him out of the fire, Fonte £10m gone, they've spent around £35m in loan fees, even their free transfers like feghouli, arbeloa, carlos sanchez, wilshere, nordveit they've all gone! they've signed 35 players in 5 years and only 13 of them are still there, they've spent £400m

at blues they were famous for using agents to sign players like Dugarry, Zarate, Kapo, Pandiani etc and I think they are doing the same thing at West Ham. Players like Lanzini, Zarate again and Enner Valencia are random enough signings for them to just appear from nowhere

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

from the last 5 years - 

I think it's fairly widely considered that their period of recruitment under Mario Husillos and someone who may have been David Gold's son (? - eds, please check) was generally quite poor. You haven't included there the single most disastrous signing - Ze Roberto - who almost single-handedly cost Husillos his job.

But there has been a marked improvement in their transfer business since Jan 2020. And the broader picture - that if you want to break into the European places, you have to spend a lot to have quality on the bench and throughout the squad - is just as true for us as it is for them. When we lost to them the other week, they had Lanzini, Fornals, Yarmolenko and Bowen on the bench. We had Traore, a half-fit Trezeguet and Jacob Ramsey. We're not going to solve that without spending a lot of money, and some of those we sign will be duds too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm more referring to the second half of the post I suppose; if you have 4 or 5 quality attacking midfielders, then 2 of them are not going to have started many games.

On Felipe Anderson in particular, it wasn't a good purchase, but no club gets every signing right. They've replaced him with better and found a way to get him out the door, it could be worse.

It makes what we have done even more incredible in my opinion. We have spent a fair bit yes, but we were coming from nothing. If we had signed 35 players since the time we came up (considering we bought a whole squad and upgraded) and had only 13 left, we would be ****. Our recruitment in the past 2 years has been fantastic. 

West ham are a basket case, now they seem to be doing quite well, I'm pretty sure they will manage to mess it up before too long. It'll be fun to watch how they do it this time.

They've got a tough run of fixtures coming up, Spurs, Man City, Leeds, Man Utd, Arsenal, Wolves, Leicester, are their next seven games. I'd be surprised if they're anywhere near top four come the end of the season, and wouldn't be surprised if we finished above them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Moyes is doing an excellent job there. Think they will be there or there abouts for top 4

Happens every year, Leicester last year, looking good competing, maybe they'll break the top 4... Same old clubs in the top 4... I really wouldn't be surprised to see city, utd, Chelsea and Liverpool as the top 4

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, useless said:

They've got a tough run of fixtures coming up, Spurs, Man City, Leeds, Man Utd, Arsenal, Wolves, Leicester, are their next seven games. I'd be surprised if they're anywhere near top four come the end of the season, and wouldn't be surprised if we finished above them.

the teams Moyes struggles against, his win record over the top 6 in any season is absolutely shocking even at Everton when they were a top 6 team

5 minutes ago, useless said:

True and we play better football but I think they are a bit more solid in that midfield area than us. Maybe they will drop off but they are a tough team to beat and seem to be showing some consistency where other teams except Man City are win a couple, loose a couple. 

Â