Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Do people realise how much Austin is going to cost? Sure we need someone like him, but there will be 4-5 other clubs after him and his wages will be massive.

Yes, I realise. Probably going to cost about 1/16th the price of relegation.

We're looking to survive with spending as little as possible. Lerner isn't going to slap down £15-£18m and 50-80k a week. It's just not going to happen.

Do people realise how much Austin is going to cost? Sure we need someone like him, but there will be 4-5 other clubs after him and his wages will be massive.

Excellent point but i think the general concensus is not wether hes worth it but more wether the club will pay it.

Excellent point but i think the general concensus is not wether hes worth it but more wether the club will pay it.

I'd be surprised if we DO pay it.  Just making a point as to why we should.

I'm a Net Spend Police Officer!

I really think it shows whether you are treading water, sinking or moving forward. Top teams can afford to have small net spends (but often don't) midtable teams can flip either way due to anomalies such as selling one good player (Southampton) and relegation battlers need significant spend to survive.

Yes we made a lot of money this summer but that just means we lost a lot of quality. We are currently 16th of all teams based on net spend this window. I can see us being even lower come the close of the window.

We have spent less than Bournemouth, Norwich and Watford who have been promoted. We have spent less than Sunderland, Leicester and West Brom who we battled for survival. Without spending money we are in big trouble, all we've done is turn our crap team with superstars into an average team with no standouts. 

When WBA are consistently outspending us, I hate to say it, but maybe we need to reevaluate our place in football. Who really thinks relegation isn't a case of when rather than if?

• Like 1

I really think it shows whether you are treading water, sinking or moving forward. Top teams can afford to have small net spends (but often don't) midtable teams can flip either way due to anomalies such as selling one good player (Southampton) and relegation battlers need significant spend to survive.

Yes we made a lot of money this summer but that just means we lost a lot of quality. We are currently 16th of all teams based on net spend this window. I can see us being even lower come the close of the window.

We have spent less than Bournemouth, Norwich and Watford who have been promoted. We have spent less than Sunderland, Leicester and West Brom who we battled for survival. Without spending money we are in big trouble, all we've done is turn our crap team with superstars into an average team with no standouts.

When WBA are consistently outspending us, I hate to say it, but maybe we need to reevaluate our place in football. Who really thinks relegation isn't a case of when rather than if?

Be careful mate. There are plenty of people here who think we've improved this summer.

Improved by losing our two best players and replacing them with a load of players noones ever heard of..

if you'd have told me we'd be starting with Westwood, Sanchez and Bacuna in the 3rd game of the season after receiving 50m worth of player sales I'd have called you mad.

Poor.

Salient points indeed. 

Benteke and Delph in this team and we'd have something. But as things stands, we're still lacking quality in crucial areas. 

The chairman doesn't actually want to dig into his pockets, as has been the case for a long time know, the business strategy is to 'get lucky'. 

Now is the time for Lerner to back Sherwood for 3/4 quality additions for the spine of the team.

We have a fantastic squad, potentially, but it could be another 6 months for everything to click. By then we could be in real trouble.

We need more quality in the GK area, CB, CM and ST.

If only we could shift player like Senderos, Agbonlahor, CNZ and Hutton we would be in a better position from a wage perspective.

All-Round and mobility ST and defence-attack capacity RB for me i think all position is fine...

might CB..once Okores back we got plenty to option. might buy for centre half who can add aerial threat for corner and defence from corner .((note: we need stop play westwood corner so give gil or grealish do corner.)) it is get annoy me see wastefully and easy defend against Westwood corner.

second goals will never happen if we got add centre midfields (Sanchez shouldnt sub if he tired should sub veretout, and sub gabby for adama to close down space area for shot.)

we seriously need stop play Gabby as striker and Baunca in RB (he is winger not RB for me) 

Edited by Danny_Villaman84

There must be a better value proposition than Charlie Austin out there.

I like him as a player but the money bandied around, the concerns over him, etc, must mean any money we have (which will be less than QPR are asking I'd wager) could be better spent elsewhere.

So we need a striker. And we can't break the bank and we have to spend carefully. This could be the most important signing we make of any this summer. I hope we name that signing and we do it smartly.