Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Why wouldn't you want a player that improves your team?

Because I'm looking beyond the end of next week. 

Look, maybe I'm wrong. But by and large, centre-backs don't last until their mid-30's in this division any more. Even reliable performers drop off a cliff at around Lescott's age, look what happened to Distin. My fear is that he comes, robs 12-18 months of development off Clark, Clark comes back into the team rusty and now not at the required level, and January or June 2017 we're looking to buy an expensive Clark and Lescott replacement. 

Not every signing has to be 'one for the future'. You need experienced heads in the team and Lescott can be that. He's better than Clark at the minute and his experience around the club will be invaluable as well. Clark may well learn a few things and become a better player in the future because of it. 

Guess we are just looking at it from different angles!  :)

No thanks to Lescott

We get one good season out of him tops its questionable how long he's on the treatment table in that time as well

At least him and Joe Cole can become good buddies

He played 34 games in the league last season and has been fit for the start of this season.......

thats more than any of our CB's played last season

Look, maybe I'm wrong. But by and large, centre-backs don't last until their mid-30's in this division any more. Even reliable performers drop off a cliff at around Lescott's age, look what happened to Distin. My fear is that he comes, robs 12-18 months of development off Clark, Clark comes back into the team rusty and now not at the required level, and January or June 2017 we're looking to buy an expensive Clark and Lescott replacement.

Dustin is about 4/5 years older than Lescott. We could get another two good years out of Lescott.

We'll sign Lescott and loan Baker out for the year. Lescott becomes our second choice left back and first change centre half. Will get plenty of game time if Clark is out of form, if Richards ever needs to go to right back or if we ever play 3 at the back. Baker gets a full season under his belt which is much needed.

And he's a villa fan! Win win for me!

We'll sign Lescott and loan Baker out for the year. Lescott becomes our second choice left back and first change centre half. Will get plenty of game time if Clark is out of form, if Richards ever needs to go to right back or if we ever play 3 at the back. Baker gets a full season under his belt which is much needed.

And he's a villa fan! Win win for me!

Lescott wouldn't come here to warm the bench in my opinion. He'll be partnering Richards. 

Apart from that, i agree. Baker out on loan to get game time is much needed. Plus we have Crespo as well to cover various positions along the back-line  :)

Would anyone take Defoe for a year? Unhappy at Sunderland. I think I'd have him.

We enquires about him before he went to Sunderland and the finances on the deal were I was told mind blowing.

£70k a week 3.5 year deal plus a £3m transfer fee  :wacko:

Sounds exactly like the Heskey deal.

Different times I accept.

Lescott would be great but I don't think it's an area where we're weak. That said, an injury or 2 and it's the difference between still competing in games or playing kids and having lost before you kick off.

Hopefully we'll still have money for someone else up front because while any of Ayew, Gestede, Sinclair, Gabby (maybe not) could be prolific, none are likely to. Someone like Adebayor, who still seems to be on an inescapable route to join us at 11pm on deadline day, would be perfect.

Of course, giving everything to get Zlatan here to get a huge rise in the club and bums on seats would give more back than we pay out.

Dustin is about 4/5 years older than Lescott. We could get another two good years out of Lescott.

dustin-hoffman__130823104648.png

I think Callum Robinson was trying to seduce him too.

• Like 1

Not a huge Lescott fan, but let's face it: Richards, Clark, Baker and Okore are all quite injury-prone. Based on careers so far it's likely that 1 or 2 of them will be in the treatment room at any given time over the season. Lescott in and loan out Baker might be a smart move for a year - should help Richards as he is still somewhat new to CB position. Also there's option of 352 with Richards-Clark-Lescott at the back and Bacuna/Amavi with more freedom to go forward.

Plus imagine Richards, Lescott & Gestede all up for corners, would give us real aerial threat that some teams won't be able to cope with.

• Like 2