Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

As I said at the time we have completely blown our striker budget on Ayew and Rudy £16 million down the poo pipe. We needed to buy big at the time I said Berihnino a proven Premier League 1 in 2 man but unlikely now Spurs are involved. I'm not hot on Austin....must be a reason no club went in for him.

Would imagine the reason is that he has 1 year left on his contract and clubs are prepared to wait for QPR to crack and drop their asking price before the window closes.
  • Like 2

3 games in and we're already writing off Ayew and Gestede as money wasted? Lol.

But yeah, as I've said before break the bank for Austin. He's worth it. Very good striker.

Let's say one of them had scored every game and people were saying he was a bargain? Would you laugh at them jumping to that conclusion.

I can't help but wonder if some kind of striker merry go round is going to happen between now and the end of the window.

I can't believe that serious interest in Austin hasn't led to bids that the press would have been aware of. QPR didn't play Austin in their cup game which suggests to me that he/they didn't want him cup tied

Villa certainly have the wage budget for another striker now that the Adebayor deal looks dead-I'd wager we could go £15 million as well.

I can't help but wonder if some kind of striker merry go round is going to happen between now and the end of the window.

I can't believe that serious interest in Austin hasn't led to bids that the press would have been aware of. QPR didn't play Austin in their cup game which suggests to me that he/they didn't want him cup tied

Villa certainly have the wage budget for another striker now that the Adebayor deal looks dead-I'd wager we could go £15 million as well.

Lerner isn't going to put in £15m of his money. He did it once with Darren Bent and he isn't going to do it again.

• Like 1

Lerner isn't going to put in £15m of his money. He did it once with Darren Bent and he isn't going to do it again.

Does the club not have any of its own money? Honest question. If so then Lerner should leave it to Fox to decide what's best - as he promised to do earlier in the summer. 

Well it should have. especially after all this cost cutting should have a bit after that. and all this extra TV money too that should help.

Should is usually the word we start coming out with in the last week of the transfer window. I'd love to be wrong, but I wouldn't get your hopes up people, we've all been here before.

Does the club not have any of its own money? Honest question. If so then Lerner should leave it to Fox to decide what's best - as he promised to do earlier in the summer. 

It's a reasonable question, I guess the answer is we don't know.

The operating budget will I would assume be based on far more up to date figures than are currently available to us through the company financial reports which are somewhat out of date,

I would expect the club to be operating at a profit now, a small one but a profit none the less so there should be some money there but I can't see that it would stretch to £15m. 

So that leaves three possible sources of finances for this window.

1. Player sales

2. Club Profit

3. Investment from Lerner

To date what we've spent is (in my view) the combination of 1+2 perhaps with a little left over. If we were to get any money from pot 3, which I really doubt, then I rather suspect that it would in turn go onto the cost to any interested party for buying us. Given that we can't sell the club for the current price, I'm not convinced Lerner would fancy spending and then putting the price up.

This is why I've said all summer talk of a net spend of £20m are quite fanciful, it just doesn't make any logical sense.

So I don't think we can go to £15m for Austin, in response to the earlier quote and Adebayor would have cost us in the region of £5m which was potentially quite a bargain.

The operating budget will I would assume be based on far more up to date figures than are currently available to us through the company financial reports which are somewhat out of date,

I would expect the club to be operating at a profit now, a small one but a profit none the less so there should be some money there but I can't see that it would stretch to £15m.

1. Player sales

2. Club Profit

To date what we've spent is (in my view) the combination of 1+2 perhaps with a little left over. If we were to get any money from pot 3, which I really doubt, then I rather suspect that it would in turn go onto the cost to any interested party for buying us. Given that we can't sell the club for the current price, I'm not convinced Lerner would fancy spending and then putting the price up.

This is why I've said all summer talk of a net spend of £20m are quite fanciful, it just doesn't make any logical sense.

So I don't think we can go to £15m for Austin, in response to the earlier quote and Adebayor would have cost us in the region of £5m which was potentially quite a bargain.

I'm not upset with how we're playing, but chances in the prem are few and far between. You need a striker who can take them, and I'd feel more comfortable seeing Adebayor up top than any of our other strikers atm.
  • Like 1

1. Player sales

2. Club Profit

I'm not upset with how we're playing, but chances in the prem are few and far between. You need a striker who can take them, and I'd feel more comfortable seeing Adebayor up top than any of our other strikers atm.

Same.

3 games in and we're already writing off Ayew and Gestede as money wasted? Lol.

But yeah, as I've said before break the bank for Austin. He's worth it. Very good striker.

It's a fair point though. 

The money spent on Ayew and Gestede combined could have probably signed someone who could come in straight away and be a major player for us. Even when we were bidding for Ayew I felt it was a bad idea based on what I've seen of him. Now I'm not saying he will flop, but all our signings I feel he is most likely. A certain amount of talent is there, but the sort of sharpness and consistency required at this level isn't, and won't be there for a while IMO. 

Gestede on the other hand is very limited. Unless we're going to be crossing the ball into the box (with quality) multiple times per match, Gestede won't be pulling up any trees here. 

Okay, time for some truth bombs.

Firstly, Gestede is going at about 1 in 2 so far so I'm not sure what more you want from him at this stage. What clear chances did he miss yesterday?

Gabby fluffed a couple but wouldn't have been in those positions without his pace. So another striker most likely wouldn't have scored yesterday.

If it's about being good with your feet we have Ayew for that who will settle - he's been here 5 minutes. Striker is least of our worries.

Guzan's distribution and decision making are not at the level required. Too many turnovers, and he shouldn't have rolled it out to Amavi which resulted in their second. Maybe Bunn is the answer but this is our biggest area of need.

Bacuna signed a 5 year deal and I believe he is a great utility currently. However, id like to see a more defensive RB brought in. I don't think we'll need much overlap with Adama taking off down that wing, but I do think we need cover for when teams break against us. I actually don't think Bacuna is that quick comparatively.

Richards especially as well as Clark are as solid as rocks. I think we're set at CB.

Sanchez should start, Veretout should take over Westwood eventually in a 4-3-3, Grealish looks the goods as our playmaker and we've got Gil as backup.

So really, in my opinion, our needs are a starting GK, a more defensive (or quicker) RB then daylight.

• Like 1

When are the net spend police allowed to come back out?

Or are we still pinning our hopes on Gestede and a couple of mid table French acquisitions?

#lolz

I know right? Let's write them all off after two losses in the first three weeks of the season. Lolz

If we sign Lescott for a couple of million and bring in Adebayor on loan we are sorted and out potential starting 11 actually looks very strong. Think we are desperate for somebody like Adebayor to come in now. Experience goal scorer.