Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

If we don't sign another striker and have to persist with Gustede Ayew and Gabby i think were in for a long hard relegation battle season again

Ayew i'm not convinced with he probs need 6 months to settle. Gustede is unproven at this level isn't 100% match fit and we can't rely on him for the whole season and Gabby well he's a bird brain

We need extra firepower an out and out striker and a CB

• Like 1

I do by and large agree with you Ash.  If I'm reading you right then I think it's fair to say I have a lot more faith in Gestede than you do, and I also have Sinclair down as being a significant scorer for us this season.  But yeah, I would probably be more at ease with more proven quality up front, if only to ease the burden on Gestede.

• Like 1

If we don't sign another striker and have to persist with Gustede Ayew and Gabby i think were in for a long hard relegation battle season again

Ayew i'm not convinced with he probs need 6 months to settle. Gustede is unproven at this level isn't 100% match fit and we can't rely on him for the whole season and Gabby well he's a bird brain

It's very clear that Gestede, Veretout, Gueye, Kozak and Ayew aren't anywhere near fit enough, and with some more prominent players coming back from injury we won't see the team gel properly for a few months.

It will be vital that midfield improves its fitness, we can cope with a more stationary striker but without an energetic midfield the points will not come easily.

Interesting spin on the Malaga trip

Aston Villa are sending a scout to watch Malaga's clash with Sevilla on Friday, just days after Tim Sherwood returned from the city.

The Villa boss was spotted jetting out of Birmingham airport for Malaga on Saturday morning just hours after his side lost at home to Manchester United. It had been thought that Sherwood was taking a weekend break to his holiday home in Spain but there could have been an ulterior motive if Villa are targeting a Malaga player. Spanish newspaper ABC claim Villa will be among 20 clubs represented at Friday night's opening La Liga clash at La Rosaleda, with Manchester United, Liverpool, Sunderland and Chelsea making up the Premier League contingent. Villa could be checking out Malaga goalkeeper Carlos Kameni, who is expected to start ahead of Guillermo Ochoa. The Cameroonian this week came out in support of his rival for the number one spot who has been confined to the bench since his arrival after an incredible World Cup with Mexico last summer.

although it is ClubCall

https://www.clubcall.com/aston-villa/villas-spanish-scouting-mission-could-be-for-keeper-1778844.html

Edited by VILLAMARV

I'd take Lescott fo sho, assume it won't be a 5 year deal?

I don't really see the point. Lescott is well past his best and will want big wages. I'd rather keep Senderos if we need cover. Anyway I think he has just signed a contract extension

I would agree with most of the striker bit. Gestade strikes me as an impact sub and lacks mobility for the sort of striker we probably need. Ayew I think will get up to speed in a handful of games. Gabby will just continue to be picked over better options for no explicable reason.

The Man U game was an object lesson in having no useful striking options on the pitch for the reasons above with consequent result the midfield has lots of possession and could not use it effectively. We definitely need another striking option, ideally experienced in the PL.

I'm relaxed about centre backs, personally I would retain Senderos if we really think we need some cover.

I don't really see the point. Lescott is well past his best and will want big wages. I'd rather keep Senderos if we need cover. Anyway I think he has just signed a contract extension

He wouldn't come here as cover, he'd come here to play. He'd be our best centre back IMO. Yes, he's on his way down career wise but could easily do 2 years here.

I don't think he has signed an extension at WBA and with them looking to buy Fazio, it looks like he will be allowed to leave

I would agree with most of the striker bit. Gestade strikes me as an impact sub and lacks mobility for the sort of striker we probably need. Ayew I think will get up to speed in a handful of games. Gabby will just continue to be picked over better options for no explicable reason.

The Man U game was an object lesson in having no useful striking options on the pitch for the reasons above with consequent result the midfield has lots of possession and could not use it effectively. We definitely need another striking option, ideally experienced in the PL.

I'm relaxed about centre backs, personally I would retain Senderos if we really think we need some cover.

If Gestede has service he will score double figures IMO, I suspect he'll perform well against bottom half clubs, but may be found wanting against higher caliber centre halves.

For me, it's not clear at all what Ayew will deliver. He looks reasonably talented but didn't to me look at all comfortable up top against United. He looked a lot more comfortable when Gestede came on and he was played deeper. For me, that's slightly worrying and suggests that he's probably not a number 9, so I wouldn't back him to score that many for us. He appears to be more of an attacking midfielder/ second striker. 

I'd like us to bring in some quality up front but I'm not sure the funds are there. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

He wouldn't come here as cover, he'd come here to play. He'd be our best centre back IMO. Yes, he's on his way down career wise but could easily do 2 years here.

I don't think he has signed an extension at WBA and with them looking to buy Fazio, it looks like he will be allowed to leave

TBH I have never really rated Lescott so that probably colours my judgement
  • Like 1

Would anyone take Cuadrado on loan? Could be good for both Sanchez and the player himself if we could make it work financially.

Definitely, a loan is a fairly easy gamble and he's a good player....well he was, he's definitely struggling in the Prem.

He won't come here though and I doubt financially we'd be able to do it, though we can hope.....I'd take anyone who can actually challenge Sinclair and Gabby for places.

Would anyone take Cuadrado on loan? Could be good for both Sanchez and the player himself if we could make it work financially.

Of course we'd take him, but Juventus are reportedly in for him. No way a player like Cuadrado will end up at Villa park unless it's on Chelsea's bench.