Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Well, people on here criticize Manchester City and Chelsea for buying the title, but Villa are no different. Just a team with less money, buying players of lesser quality.

Haha, what is this? Are you drunk?

Edited by Phumfeinz

Well, people on here criticize Manchester City and Chelsea for buying the title, but Villa are no different. Just a team with less money, buying players of lesser quality.

I think we will never buy for the title, not this decade anyway. I think we are more so buying for profit, with maybe a little success on the way.

I am sorry to say this, but I don't like all this buying...Feels like something Tottenham and West Ham would do. Yes, the team is better, but being a supporter is being able to identify with players. Right now, all is left from a potential starting line up is Guzan, Gabby and Clark. If they are replaced with new players...well it does not feel like my team anymore.

This makes no sense. How did you feel when the players you identify with replaced other villa players when they signed? Aston Villa has been around for a long time and it doesn't feel like your club because some shit players who were here for a few years have been replaced? Makes no sense to me.
And they were absolute shit. In 23 years supporting the club they were close to being the worst collectively I've had the misfortune to watch.

I never really warmed to Benteke despite his obvious talent, Delph I maybe did but the way he left was a perfect bookend. The rest can go **** themselves. Utterly hopeless.

Exactly. There's nothing from the last few years to miss. Same for me as well, worst I've ever seen since I've been supporting the club.

The next step for this group of players would of been relegation. The squads needed ripping a part, may back fire....maybe it'll work. But what was certain with last seasons playing squad & the loss of two key players would of put us on par with possibly the worst team to play in the league...I still believe we've lucked out the past 2-3 seasons, Benteke being the difference.

We need a huge overhaul, 1-2 "better" players a season just wouldn't of cut it. Time will tell but I'm more confident of us accumulating a better points tally than I was a month ago.

To be fair, I think, I kind of understand what momo is saying.

It's a bit like saying 'What's in a name?' A lot of fans will have a bond with players and in a normal transfer window even if your favourite player leaves you move on to your second favourite etc. Normally a team evolves over seasons so the transition between squads is minimal. Now if you sell every player in that team a lot of fans may feel 'lost' to some degree as they have no attachment to any of the players. The likelihood is this will only last six months though before new bonds are formed.

Whether the overall effect on the teams performance is good or bad is almost irrelevant in this discussion, it's about emotional attachments. Like many I didn't particularly care about Benteke but liked Delph, Weimann and Lowton - it doesn't have to be based on ability, it's just players you have a soft spot for regardless of reasoning. With all of them gone, if my nephews ask who is my favourite player I'd need to think... it's a most a basic question but difficult to answer when all the players are new to Villa.

Were the mass changes needed? Of course they were. But I can understand the element of coldness towards a squad we don't really yet have any attachments to. The comparison with City, I think, was meant to highlight the sheer number of changes.

As for those who say why should we have emotion/ loyalty towards players who were getting us relegated - isn't this very much what an ambitious player would think? Whilst I think he's a pr*ck of the highest degree, surely this is Delph's view point - why should I have loyalty to a team who continually don't invest and struggle every year? So, for me, I do have loyalty towards some players both current and former as I think that's what strengthens bonds between fans and Villa.

Evolution is an easier emotional transition. Revolution is a better performance transition. As it stands, I think the need for Revolution outweighed the prefered Evolution route.

• Like 4

I'm not even annoyed.. That troll was masterfully played out, it was the long game that suckered me in.. :D

I hate trolls. Childish. Proper discussions should not be impaired just so some kid can amuse himself.

Trolling?....

To be fair, I think, I kind of understand what momo is saying.

It's a bit like saying 'What's in a name?' A lot of fans will have a bond with players and in a normal transfer window even if your favourite player leaves you move on to your second favourite etc. Normally a team evolves over seasons so the transition between squads is minimal. Now if you sell every player in that team a lot of fans may feel 'lost' to some degree as they have no attachment to any of the players. The likelihood is this will only last six months though before new bonds are formed.

Whether the overall effect on the teams performance is good or bad is almost irrelevant in this discussion, it's about emotional attachments. Like many I didn't particularly care about Benteke but liked Delph, Weimann and Lowton - it doesn't have to be based on ability, it's just players you have a soft spot for regardless of reasoning. With all of them gone, if my nephews ask who is my favourite player I'd need to think... it's a most a basic question but difficult to answer when all the players are new to Villa.

Were the mass changes needed? Of course they were. But I can understand the element of coldness towards a squad we don't really yet have any attachments to. The comparison with City, I think, was meant to highlight the sheer number of changes.

As for those who say why should we have emotion/ loyalty towards players who were getting us relegated - isn't this very much what an ambitious player would think? Whilst I think he's a pr*ck of the highest degree, surely this is Delph's view point - why should I have loyalty to a team who continually don't invest and struggle every year? So, for me, I do have loyalty towards some players both current and former as I think that's what strengthens bonds between fans and Villa.

Evolution is an easier emotional transition. Revolution is a better performance transition. As it stands, I think the need for Revolution outweighed the prefered Evolution route.

Excellent post.

I often wonder whether or not trolls actually start out being serious but then realise they're making an arse out of themselves and so claim they were trolling just to save face.

Either way, I think it's pointless arguing on the internet, let alone winding people up by lying, if that is what they're really trying to do.

Daft.

Anyway, back On Topic, I really hope we sign a quality CB this week. Also, I was at the Nottingham game and even though it was a friendly, all the outfield players were wearing their usual squad numbers and the new boys had numbers that were all available so I assume that's their squad number for the coming season. One thing that I did notice, however, is that Bunn wore the number 1 shirt and it made me worry that Guzan may be off.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 3

Would anyone take Moses on loan if it was possible?

I don't know we need someone who can command, our defence already parts like the red sea, but I'm in the nile about this whole thing.

• Like 4

Would anyone take Moses on loan if it was possible?

Do you think Chelsea will let their people go? Ahem.

Just looked at his wiki, he's only 24! Seems to have been around a long time so I thought he was older than that. I think most people knew when he went to Chelsea, he'd see little game time.