Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I am sorry to say this, but I don't like all this buying...Feels like something Tottenham and West Ham would do. Yes, the team is better, but being a supporter is being able to identify with players. Right now, all is left from a potential starting line up is Guzan, Gabby and Clark. If they are replaced with new players...well it does not feel like my team anymore.

I'm really concerned with this new approach - it's so reckless. I pine for the days of doing no business until the last day - 'woah, the lights are still on at BMH' oh, it's Simon Dawkins. They'll relegate us with all these frenchies.

I am sorry to say this, but I don't like all this buying...Feels like something Tottenham and West Ham would do. Yes, the team is better, but being a supporter is being able to identify with players. Right now, all is left from a potential starting line up is Guzan, Gabby and Clark. If they are replaced with new players...well it does not feel like my team anymore.

This makes no sense. How did you feel when the players you identify with replaced other villa players when they signed? Aston Villa has been around for a long time and it doesn't feel like your club because some shit players who were here for a few years have been replaced? Makes no sense to me.

I kind of see what Momo is saying. As poor as our team has been, it had a bit of an identity, even if that identity was 'budget/ value for money'. Now it looks like all but Westwood are likely to be replaced in the starting eleven (if we believe that we're after a GK and another CB, to replace Guzan and Clark, maybe).

Fear not though Momo, give it a few weeks and we'll be used to these players, we'll know their strengths and weaknesses and it will, once again, feel like 'our' team!

This makes no sense. How did you feel when the players you identify with replaced other villa players when they signed? Aston Villa has been around for a long time and it doesn't feel like your club because some shit players who were here for a few years have been replaced? Makes no sense to me.

And they were absolute shit. In 23 years supporting the club they were close to being the worst collectively I've had the misfortune to watch.

I never really warmed to Benteke despite his obvious talent, Delph I maybe did but the way he left was a perfect bookend. The rest can go **** themselves. Utterly hopeless.

• Like 4

And they were absolute shit. In 23 years supporting the club they were close to being the worst collectively I've had the misfortune to watch.

I never really warmed to Benteke despite his obvious talent, Delph I maybe did but the way he left was a perfect bookend. The rest can go **** themselves. Utterly hopeless.

Exactly. There's nothing from the last few years to miss. Same for me as well, worst I've ever seen since I've been supporting the club.

"all this buying" was forced upon the manager due to 4 of the best 5 players leaving. Those that were left were the underperformers.

If we hadn't have received the £40mil from sales, there would have been the usual circa £15mil handed to the manager and we'd have drifted into the new season pretty much the same as last season. The £40mil has enabled us to completely re-vamp and go in an entirely different direction. Yes, it would have been nice to keep the 4 best players but unfortunately, they did not share the same bond with "my team" that you did.

Sherwood needed to replace the 4 who left, as well as upgrading the under-performers-he had no choice and I doubt theres many who think he's done a bad job in doing so. Behind the scenes, they must have worked their socks off to get all these deals in place, Sherwood also having to prepare the team for the new season. Do you want to identify with players who don't want to be here or players that do? Nobody forced Delph, Benteke, Vlaar & Cleverley out. Maybe Weiman, Sylla, Hellinus & Lowton but I certainly don't want to identify with that lot as Villa players.

New heroes can easily emerge from Veretout, Gestede, Amavi and Gueye who I've a feeling is going to be a real hit with the Holte end.

People forget we usually made 7-8 new signings under MON, christ we kept on buying a new back 4 under him in two of his four summer so it's nothing new changing half a team.

Perhaps not a new team, but at least a heavily remixed/spiced up team. Still there's going to be a continuation through talismans of the past like Guzan, Clark, Westwood and Grealish.

Ideally the team wont need any more shake-ups of this magnitude in future windows, only careful adjustment and improvement. This time however, such a move was necessary. We've had lots of players that simply aren't good enough for where we want to be, and even if we were to be content replacing Delph and Benteke like for like that would prove to be one hell of a frustrating exercise for Timmy & co.

So, let's get to know our new players and in no time, they will feel as OUR players.

Anyway, Butterfingers put it better than me. :P

Perhaps not a new team, but at least a heavily remixed/spiced up team. Still there's going to be a continuation through talismans of the past like Guzan, Clark, Westwood and Grealish.

Indeed. And in those players, perhaps Sanchez, Okore, Bacuna and Hutton too, you have the only players I could give two shits about from the old guard. Those I valued in some way are still there regardless.

Sure if your heroes were Delph and Benteke you might find the transition difficult, just as when we lost Barry, Young and Milner. Carew, Mellberg and Laursen. Lowton and Sylla on the other hand don't come close.

• Like 2

We have finally replaced Barry, Downing, Young and Milner! 

Sorry it took so long!

We have finally replaced Barry, Downing, Young and Milner! 

Sorry it took so long!

That remains to be seen doesn't it?  Fairly certain we've only replaced Delph at this time

Jordan Ferri tire un coup-franc sur la droite de la surface... les dirigeants d'Aston Villa préparent leur chéquier #PSGOL #JordanFever

Roughly translates villa are getting the cheque book ready to sign left winger Jordan ferri?

Edited by Jimzk5