The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Obviously couldn't defend his in-game management, he's been badly outcoached the last 3 games. ( I'd say 4, but because it's Man U and they'd beat us even with John Barnes managing it'll never be recognized )

That said, I don't think he's doing too badly overall. We're not a very good football team, we don't have too many good players, and we don't really have a very good manager, so it's only natural to expect a relegation fight. Leicester have made the leap above us and they're on another level too, just like other teams such as Crystal Palace, etc. They're just a better team right now and it shows. What Sherwood has to realize, though, is that he's not going to get the time and patience that Lambert got from the fans, and very likely from the board as well. He's been talking openly about the mentality change, but he's shown nothing so far to suggest he's even become changing it, despite having a new team altogether. 

Two really big games for him coming up. Don't think he could afford losing either one or he'll start feeling the pressure and who knows how he'd react under pressure from the fans. 

The overwhelming reaction that Sherwood failed tactically in the 2nd half with his subs is beyond dispute but his post match comments suggest he doesn't see it that way. It is extremely frustrating as I felt during the first half we were seeing the beginnings of a Villa team with real potential - then it all came crashing down. 

I still think the team has potential, I am just not certain about the Manager - he is a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde. The next two games are so important but which Tim Sherwood will turn up? 

I think we play far to much off the cuff, especially in defence. Do we have a process for bringing a ball out of defence, or defending a corner ? , or as I suspect does each player do what he thinks will avert the danger for that particular moment. If the players have a system that they practice week in week out on the training ground  then the defensive slips will reduce. 

I don't believe we have such a system - and that will be our undoing. 

imo theres more positives than negatives in that game. I thought his team selection was spot on. Gil was outstanding. Grealish finally scored. Our two centre backs looked really good (despite the last 30 minutes)

I think Illori or Crespo may be given a chance at RB once match fit. Gueye played against City we would not have lost that game.. Westwood and Sanchez just got overrun.. they couldnt cope when Mahrez went central and thats when Sherwood should have played Veretout. Sanchez and Westwood were great in the first half but Dyer and Mahrez positional switch killed us and Sherwood did nothing to nullify it. Taking off Gil was crazy.. HE JUST SCORED. Yeah.. he may not be match fit but he would have been buzzing for at least 10 more minutes and god knows what we could have created on the back of it. We needed an extra midfielder and bringing on two bang average strikers was not the answer. I would have kept Gabby on to help Bacuna.

Sherwood just completely bodged it even though he had it right.. 3rd game now where he has been beaten tactically by his opposition manager.

What should he have learnt?

1. Bacuna should not be our regular RB.

2. Ayew is awful and needs time on the training paddock. Kozak should return to the bench.

3. Gabby is not a starter.

4. Gil should start every match. He is our lynch pin in midfield.. he drops deep and collects the ball and links the attack to Grealish or in the future Traore as well.

5. Westwood is awful on set pieces. Use Grealish or Gil.

Yet I'm completely certain that none of those things will actually happen.

• Like 1

imo theres more positives than negatives in that game. I thought his team selection was spot on. Gil was outstanding. Grealish finally scored. Our two centre backs looked really good (despite the last 30 minutes)

I think Illori or Crespo may be given a chance at RB once match fit. Gueye played against City we would not have lost that game.. Westwood and Sanchez just got overrun.. they couldnt cope when Mahrez went central and thats when Sherwood should have played Veretout. Sanchez and Westwood were great in the first half but Dyer and Mahrez positional switch killed us and Sherwood did nothing to nullify it. Taking off Gil was crazy.. HE JUST SCORED. Yeah.. he may not be match fit but he would have been buzzing for at least 10 more minutes and god knows what we could have created on the back of it. We needed an extra midfielder and bringing on two bang average strikers was not the answer. I would have kept Gabby on to help Bacuna.

Sherwood just completely bodged it even though he had it right.. 3rd game now where he has been beaten tactically by his opposition manager.

2. Ayew is awful and needs time on the training paddock. Kozak should return to the bench.

4. Gil should start every match. He is our lynch pin in midfield.. he drops deep and collects the ball and links the attack to Grealish or in the future Traore as well.

Problem with point 3 is its pretty clear neither Gestede or Ayew are good enough to play there  and Kozak is clearly not rated

For the record Gabby at least yesterday was not the problem , infact keeping him on to play wide to support Amavi or Bacuna would have been a better option than what we got.

his last kick of the game was the goal... he wasnt struggling putting the ball in the net. Again.. despite this.. i dont have a problem with him going off.. but a midfielder should have come on.. or Bacuna to midfield and Hutton at RB. Ayew and Gestede was wrong. You can see the match thread everyone was saying it.. i just dont understand how he cant see it. Maybe he should sit in the stands like the last time we beat Leicester in the Cup.

Aye, this is concerning. You are up 2 - nil away from home with 20 minutes left. What do you do?

You stack the midfield and/or put on more defenders and close it out. It's hardly rocket surgery.

Or brain science.

;)

• Like 2

Both Tim and the Team need to learn quickly how to see out a game, that is 6 points dropped this season already. 1 point v Palace, 2 points v Sunderland and 3 points against Leicester. That is pretty terrible for any team, add those 6 points and we would be sitting pretty at the moment. For all Tim's promises and statements about not being in a relegation battle this season, it is hard to see anything but another long season of struggle if we don't learn how to see out games.

maybe Ayew up on hie own and veretout on instead of Gestede and Ayew might have helped us keep the ball. You'd have to think Gil is't fit enough for 90 miniutes?

Played well till the total assplosion of the last 20 minutes. Be interesting what effect a very emotional Sherwood will have, he displayed what a lot of us would have been feeling and thinking in the post match. I'm not entirely certain that's a good trait in a manager, but maybe I'm getting old and it could be the equivalent of Jock Stein first wearing tracksuits. 

Still, too many over reactions, I'll be at teh Albion game, so we'll win that and then we can take it from there ;)

Excellent post. Agree with every point

Gil was struggling with an injury as he pointed out n the Sky Sports interview.

Struggling so much that he managed to run the length of the pitch on a counter attack and score a wonderful goal, before sprinting off to the corner flag to celebrate.

• Like 1

I see some fans are now blaming the club....but who is the club?

as disappointing as this result and 30 minute performance was there was some real positives....Gil looks a fine player, despite the collapse, Richards/Lescott looked good for a spell, Sinclair needs a run but showed some good signs.

Back to the club....What was interesting for me was the modest sums of money Leicester have used to assemble their flying machine.....Mahrez(400k)  Vardy (1 mil Dyer ( loan) Schlupp ( youth) Drinkwater.....Conversely we have spent nearly 50 Million.

We seem to have landed in that Zone, we are buggered if we do and buggered if we don't....I still think we need to get our players more used to the physical challenge.... when teams stand off we are fine, when they get close or press we come out second best in close quarters.....We need to learn fast how to mix it.

If we had of signed some of the Leicester players some fans would be up in arms.....its not the money spent, its the attitude employed.

Ps also what is the relationship between Captain and Manager, surely a message can be got back to the bench for reinforcements, not that, that should have to happen, but the captain is the manager on the pitch.

• Like 1

Leicester are living the dream and their start and back end of last season have delivered tremendous performances.....buts lets remember there were long spells in this game, where they looked on the ropes.

Neutrals will praise their comeback.....I'm more inclined to believe we allowed it.

I wonder what the rest of the country were thinking and indeed their fans.......after our second went in.

Its naive to think you can score 3 goals away from home at a partisan place like The Kingpower stadium.....offensively we did the job ( as a team) Defensively ( as a team) it was schoolboy.

• Like 3

The problem he has, in the short term, is that our run of fixtures until mid-November looks extremely daunting. We're quite likely to be rooted to the foot of the table come the end of it, and the players self-confidence must have taken a huge huge knock yesterday. The unfortunate impression is of a team circling the drain at the moment. 

Yes the 2 subs look poor seeing as we didn't ge tthe third goal he thought they might bring, seemed to have been the turning point for Leciester to press on to us much much more. It's all very well shouting keep the ball at them, but even when Hutton came on had we introduced Veretout for a forward we may have saved a point.

Going to be very interesting now what reaction Sherwood can get from these players, after that post match interview you would think the team have got a massive bollocking today that may well continue in to tomorrow ;) 

Depends how well they react I suppose, are they still on double training? 9 - 3?

We were the better team by a mile but it was too easy for so long when Leicetser decided to up it we were stunned. We fell apart at 2 nil up. Sherwood should've put extra bodies in midfield but he got carried away aswell thinking it was job done. Hopefully we learn from this and don't relax again. If we play like the first 70 min for the rest of the season we will be fine. 

Â