The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I think his post match comments hint that he knows it was him that lost this game.  I think he's honest enough to accept it too.  Pride won't stop him from learning.

We will be fine, we have the quality now IMO. Once the season matures - the team will become much stronger, both in terms of fitness and game management. It is inevitable. Sherwood is still developing as a manager, he too will improve greatly from this experience and other mistakes. 

Leicester were fortunate yesterday (as were Sunderland & Palace), they would have not been so lucky if they had played us later in the season. Onward and upwards we will go.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

Everything we've seen of him so far as our manager suggests that he knows he has a lot of learning to do (hiring Wilkins for example).  If he had come in thinking he knows it all then I'd be worried.  But I'm not.  Now whether he is capable of learning or whether he learns quickly enough is another discussion.  The point is that pride won't be the problem IMHO based on everything.

• Like 1

I honestly can't believe how many people are already turning on Sherwood. I blame him for yesterday as well but there were still individual errors. If Lescott doesn't stumble with the ball and they don't score we see that out pretty comfortably imo.  The crowd got up for it and our players bottled it. Before Gil scored I was asking for him to come off for Veretout.  That sub should've still happened after he scored.  Instead we had Gestede up top by himself, Sinclair and Ayew not tracking back and Westwood/Sanchez getting overrun in midfield. Our full backs were terribly exposed because of the lack of cover.  Sherwood should have made the right changes but he didn't.

What he did do right was pick a good side for 70 minutes. For that 70 minutes we completely nullified threat in Mahrez and Vardy and we created quite a few chances. We have got a very good side in the making with Gueye and Traore to come back.  Hopefully one of Ilori or Crespo will come in at right back and make us stronger at the back.  More importantly we missed Gueye yesterday. He will make a massive difference in the middle of the park.

• Like 4

I honestly can't believe how many people are already turning on Sherwood.

Interesting that I haven't seen anyone turn on him.  Criticise yesterday yes, because it's deserved, but not turn on the manager.  Maybe I'm not reading as many posts.

I honestly can't believe how many people are already turning on Sherwood. I blame him for yesterday as well but there were still individual errors. If Lescott doesn't stumble with the ball and they don't score we see that out pretty comfortably imo.  The crowd got up for it and our players bottled it. Before Gil scored I was asking for him to come off for Veretout.  That sub should've still happened after he scored.  Instead we had Gestede up top by himself, Sinclair and Ayew not tracking back and Westwood/Sanchez getting overrun in midfield. Our full backs were terribly exposed because of the lack of cover.  Sherwood should have made the right changes but he didn't.

What he did do right was pick a good side for 70 minutes. For that 70 minutes we completely nullified threat in Mahrez and Vardy and we created quite a few chances. We have got a very good side in the making with Gueye and Traore to come back.  Hopefully one of Ilori or Crespo will come in at right back and make us stronger at the back.  More importantly we missed Gueye yesterday. He will make a massive difference in the middle of the park.

We only nullified Mahrez and Vardy (in particular) in the first half - not for 70 minutes.  Our second goal was on the counter and it was a beautiful thing.  Leicester's change at half time had us rocking, though, and we needed the additional cover in the middle of the park.

We will be fine, we have the quality now IMO. Once the season matures - the team will become much stronger, both in terms of fitness and game management. It is inevitable. Sherwood is still developing as a manager, he too will improve greatly from this experience and other mistakes. 

Leicester were fortunate yesterday (as were Sunderland & Palace), they would have not been so lucky if they had played us later in the season. Onward and upwards we will go.

He's a idiot. We was clearly getting over run and Instead of bringing veretout pm to shore things up and calm everything down he opts for ayew. He cost us this game and it's not acceptable.. Furious!!

That result yesterday was by far the most worrying since he has been here. Far more than the FA Cup Final or the Southampton defeat.

It's a bit different to most top managers who protect their players and would rather take the blame themselves.  Nearly a sackable offence today, it was gross incompetence on his part.  I just hope to God he learns from this.

The man's a chancer. Always thought so, always will.

Didn't take long for the real stick to start.

Yep, constant mistakes costing us wins and points, how **** dare we!

we'll see. Actions speak louder than words, if it happens again then I will start to worry.

Very much Tactics Tim.

The worrying thing is he never seems to learn from his mistakes. If we lose either of our next two matches, I'd expect him to be sacked.

The cup final, the Southampton game and this game are some absolute record lows in just 5 months in charge. He'll get you performances like he did in the semi final but the lows are so much, much worse than how good the highs are.

2-0 up and losing 3-2 in 30 minutes is pathetic even by Villa's standards. I don't blame people at all for being reactionary, it's a complete **** up by the manager today. He then goes on to blame the players when he brings off a midfielder for an attacker who has shown in his games for us that he's nowhere near the form and standard needed to play in this league!?

Oh dear. He is starting to frighten me with his in-game reactiveness.

If we could get Allardyce in tomorrow, I'd bin him off. 

It seems that whenever he makes a change in game that we subsequently don't win then it's attributed to his changes.

probably because it's blindingly obvious that his changes are at fault.  There have been far more negative impacts as a result of his changes than there have been positive.

Its not inconceivable that a manager of an organisation genuinely doesn't have a clue. Ive worked under a number of them.

I believe our football team has one.

There's just a few. Reactionary rubbish at it's best.

This guy is breath of fresh air for Villa. He saved us last season. He's bought a whole new squad and before the season started people were saying oh it will take us time to gel and we won't see the best of us until the second half of the season. It's 5 bloody games. We are not going to turn into a top 8 club after one transfer window. Especially when we have lost our 2 best players. Yes he made mistakes yesterday but people are overestimating the impact of his decisions. He has one of the most experienced in football next to him. Do we think Ray Wilkins is just letting Sherwood get on with it. It's a collective decision. One that was wrong. Get over it. He's built and exciting squad that will be good for the long term of this club. He will make mistakes and he isn't perfect but some of the reactions on here are just hilarious. 

• Like 2

Lambert was given 2 and a half seasons of grace period before the majority turned on him.  Just because Sherwood came across as a bit of a cockney wideboy, people are too quick to judge him. I didn't want him at first as I thought the same but he's done enough good for us to give him plenty of leeway. Sure criticise his mistakes but don't over do it.

• Like 3

I don't think he performed that bad actually.  May be I'm in the minority but I could understand his substitution with Ayew yesterday.

Fact was we had Sanchez passing to anyone in a blue shirt, little if any movement and no one willing to stand up and be counted on the pitch to fight for the win other than our central defenders.  if you're relying on your central defenders to do that job then you're in trouble.  The team needs an enforcer with a bit of a nasty streak.  unfortunately we haven't got one.  Our CM's are all too nice (after you sir, no no after you!).

I wanted someone to really challenge Marez hard to make him wonder where the next hard tackle was coming from.  As it was he could have played in his slippers yesterday afternoon and would still have been left untouched.  Westwood and Sanchez just won't do that.  Midfield lost us that game, not Sherwood.  It was a one way tsunami for the last 20 minutes.  Even before we scored our second they were having a real go and so that second goal should have knocked the wind out of their sails.   We should have upped our pace and intensity after that second goal but instead the whole team played like the game was over and we kept giving them the bloody ball back all the time.

Edited by CannockVillan

He got it wrong but lets hope he learns from his mistakes. It was always was going to take time this season but we need to sort out the goalkeeping issue quick. Without that mistake at least we get a point. Up front is also a concern. Gabby doesn't score, Ayew Gestade look out of their depth at the moment

He's a idiot. We was clearly getting over run and Instead of bringing veretout pm to shore things up and calm everything down he opts for ayew. He cost us this game and it's not acceptable.. Furious!!

That result yesterday was by far the most worrying since he has been here. Far more than the FA Cup Final or the Southampton defeat.

It's a bit different to most top managers who protect their players and would rather take the blame themselves.  Nearly a sackable offence today, it was gross incompetence on his part.  I just hope to God he learns from this.

The man's a chancer. Always thought so, always will.

Didn't take long for the real stick to start.

Yep, constant mistakes costing us wins and points, how **** dare we!

we'll see. Actions speak louder than words, if it happens again then I will start to worry.

Very much Tactics Tim.

The worrying thing is he never seems to learn from his mistakes. If we lose either of our next two matches, I'd expect him to be sacked.

The cup final, the Southampton game and this game are some absolute record lows in just 5 months in charge. He'll get you performances like he did in the semi final but the lows are so much, much worse than how good the highs are.

2-0 up and losing 3-2 in 30 minutes is pathetic even by Villa's standards. I don't blame people at all for being reactionary, it's a complete **** up by the manager today. He then goes on to blame the players when he brings off a midfielder for an attacker who has shown in his games for us that he's nowhere near the form and standard needed to play in this league!?

Oh dear. He is starting to frighten me with his in-game reactiveness.

If we could get Allardyce in tomorrow, I'd bin him off. 

It seems that whenever he makes a change in game that we subsequently don't win then it's attributed to his changes.

probably because it's blindingly obvious that his changes are at fault.  There have been far more negative impacts as a result of his changes than there have been positive.

Its not inconceivable that a manager of an organisation genuinely doesn't have a clue. Ive worked under a number of them.

I believe our football team has one.

There's just a few. Reactionary rubbish at it's best.

This guy is breath of fresh air for Villa. He saved us last season. He's bought a whole new squad and before the season started people were saying oh it will take us time to gel and we won't see the best of us until the second half of the season. It's 5 bloody games. We are not going to turn into a top 8 club after one transfer window. Especially when we have lost our 2 best players. Yes he made mistakes yesterday but people are overestimating the impact of his decisions. He has one of the most experienced in football next to him. Do we think Ray Wilkins is just letting Sherwood get on with it. It's a collective decision. One that was wrong. Get over it. He's built and exciting squad that will be good for the long term of this club. He will make mistakes and he isn't perfect but some of the reactions on here are just hilarious. 

He cost us the game yesterday. Not acceptable!

I didn't like his appointment from the outset, so I haven't turned on him after a few bad results and I've been consistent in my belief that the man is a chancer.

It was my initial impression of Sherwood too, but he has won me over by keeping us in the league, a great cup run, and his overall recruitment strategy. Be patient, give him a season and then re-assess your opinion.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

He was largely to blame yes.

Omar, I'd like to know how what I wrote is deemed to reactionary rubbish. Was that result not the most worrying so far?

Not at all.  I was much more worried from the Southampton game or the final. However, in context this game was not that worrying for me. Like I said we looked good for the first half and although under pressure in the first period of the 2nd half I didn't think we look that troubled. It was just a mad 20 minutes or so bought on by a poor substitution and individual errors. If Lescott and Bacuna don't mess about and clear the ball then they don't score and we would be here talking about how well we played.

I didn't like his appointment from the outset, so I haven't turned on him after a few bad results and I've been consistent in my belief that the man is a chancer.

Well its obvious to me he hasn't got it what it takes. Sure he shook us out of slumber by adding more energy to our game last season and saved us from the drop - but that was tapering off towards the end of last season - and has continued this season.

Iam not expecting things to get better, I am not overly impressed with the players he has brought. In his favour its very early days - but I see him being under a lot of pressure by christmas TBH. - Other than the 'Unknown' element of Sherwood and his players - I see little evidence that this will turn around.

Â