The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

He's a idiot. We was clearly getting over run and Instead of bringing veretout pm to shore things up and calm everything down he opts for ayew. He cost us this game and it's not acceptable.. Furious!!

That result yesterday was by far the most worrying since he has been here. Far more than the FA Cup Final or the Southampton defeat.

It's a bit different to most top managers who protect their players and would rather take the blame themselves.  Nearly a sackable offence today, it was gross incompetence on his part.  I just hope to God he learns from this.

The man's a chancer. Always thought so, always will.

Didn't take long for the real stick to start.

Yep, constant mistakes costing us wins and points, how **** dare we!

we'll see. Actions speak louder than words, if it happens again then I will start to worry.

Very much Tactics Tim.

The worrying thing is he never seems to learn from his mistakes. If we lose either of our next two matches, I'd expect him to be sacked.

The cup final, the Southampton game and this game are some absolute record lows in just 5 months in charge. He'll get you performances like he did in the semi final but the lows are so much, much worse than how good the highs are.

2-0 up and losing 3-2 in 30 minutes is pathetic even by Villa's standards. I don't blame people at all for being reactionary, it's a complete **** up by the manager today. He then goes on to blame the players when he brings off a midfielder for an attacker who has shown in his games for us that he's nowhere near the form and standard needed to play in this league!?

Oh dear. He is starting to frighten me with his in-game reactiveness.

If we could get Allardyce in tomorrow, I'd bin him off. 

It seems that whenever he makes a change in game that we subsequently don't win then it's attributed to his changes.

probably because it's blindingly obvious that his changes are at fault.  There have been far more negative impacts as a result of his changes than there have been positive.

Its not inconceivable that a manager of an organisation genuinely doesn't have a clue. Ive worked under a number of them.

I believe our football team has one.

There's just a few. Reactionary rubbish at it's best.

This guy is breath of fresh air for Villa. He saved us last season. He's bought a whole new squad and before the season started people were saying oh it will take us time to gel and we won't see the best of us until the second half of the season. It's 5 bloody games. We are not going to turn into a top 8 club after one transfer window. Especially when we have lost our 2 best players. Yes he made mistakes yesterday but people are overestimating the impact of his decisions. He has one of the most experienced in football next to him. Do we think Ray Wilkins is just letting Sherwood get on with it. It's a collective decision. One that was wrong. Get over it. He's built and exciting squad that will be good for the long term of this club. He will make mistakes and he isn't perfect but some of the reactions on here are just hilarious. 

Think you misinterpreted me, omariqy. I was responding to him not mentioning the subs in his interview. I mean if we lose from 2-0 again soon I will start to worry, which I think is fair enough? I'm still behind Sherwood 100%

I'd be amazed if they didn't know what was wrong....putting it right is an entirely different thing.

Lambert didn't recognise though and many managers fail to do in game. Rogers at Liverpool- no plan B, hence he is now walking up the steps before the hanging commences. 

I think it was MarkAVFC40 that mentioned when Gil came off it should have been for Hutton who should have slotted in at RB with Bacuna in front providing the cover, Veretout on for Grealish or Sinclair and drop to a flat 4-5-1- Or something along those lines. I totally agreed with that as I thought we needed to kill the game with numbers in our half when we went 2-0 up as Leicester were pushing us back. He didn't react to that in the slightest the way he should of which was disappointing imo. 

Anyway what's done is done but it has put a shit load of pressure on us beating the baggies next sat which I don't think we needed right now.

• Like 1

Apologies I may have gone a bit quote happy :mellow:

I disagree completely that it was reactionary. If you checked the match thread you may have found something in there from me but the one you quoted was far from it.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

Its going to be a tough season.....I think we have the footballers, but not the characters ( Richards/Lescott) excepted

Idrissa Gueye is a real fighter so i would include him.  Also hope Veretout will step up, but he seems a bit too quite and meek from what I have seen - but haven't seen enough of him to judge properly.

Edited by Gary Thomas

Still gets a lot more time from me.  I didn't see the game yesterday but I know Leicester are a good side playing with bags of confidence and I expected a loss beforehand.  So the result doesn't come as a surprise to be honest.  

Still hasn't sunk in how we lost that game the weekend

Should have been such an easy win

The tactics and subs didn't help but the manner of the capitulation was really worrying

I hope these players we have signed have the stomach for a fight because based on that performance they are not

Edited by AshVilla

We know Sherwood made the wrong subs, but did Wilkins not see this was the wrong move. Im begining to think Wilkins won't be here to long, surely he is not being aloud much input into the squad. For me he is the more experienced of them both

Indeed whenever i look at the bench it's always Tony Parks who is the animated one and he's a frigging goalkeeping coach

We know Sherwood made the wrong subs, but did Wilkins not see this was the wrong move. Im begining to think Wilkins won't be here to long, surely he is not being aloud much input into the squad. For me he is the more experienced of them both

Indeed whenever i look at the bench it's always Tony Parks who is the animated one and he's a frigging goalkeeping coach

True, I rarely see wilkins off the bench.

We will be fine, I am not sure we have had the chance to put our our strongest 11 yet. Grealish was missing, Gil was missing, Adama, now Gueye... we really need all 11 to play together for a period of games.

The problem is though DK82 will we ever have our strongest 11 playing? Most teams possibly won't for majority of the season. What we need is for all our players knowing their jobs,giving 110%, for the coaches to give them the right instructions and then make the correct changes when needed.

I do think we will be fine also, although I say it so often I wonder if I am carrying out some sort of conscious ritual in order to ease my subconscious. A psychological calming of the mind after the last few years me thinks. F****** Villa! 

I know Sherwood is getting a lot blame for the substitutions but regardless of who was on the pitch surely he couldn't have instructed them to continue to attack and leave the midfield completely open. I don't get why we just didn't shut up shop, 

We didn't shut up shop because the manager thought it better to make attacking substitutions rather than shut up shop....

• Like 1

I'm converted to the 3 at the back formation

If it stops us leaking stupid goals then so be it

Plus it gives us a solid base to build from and we won't have to worry about Sherwood's inability to bring on defensive players towards the end of a game

I'm converted to the 3 at the back formation

If it stops us leaking stupid goals then so be it

Plus it gives us a solid base to build from and we won't have to worry about Sherwood's inability to bring on defensive players towards the end of a game

TBF it wasn't until the mad 20 min that we looked like conceding. We looked solid against an inform free scoring side then we got complacent. It was in midfield that we lost the game for me but that'll be rectified with Gana getting fit. It may be a blessing in disguise with 2 games coming up were we will need to be at 100% for the whole game. 

i bet the same people who are saying gil shouldnt be subbed would be saying he should have been subbed if leicester scored from a shlupp cross. He was getting exposed pretty badly down that side before he got subbed off. 

Why do people keep saying ayew is a striker? Hes played both wide and at front in his carear. Hes played the role he was supposed to play yesterday before (played it a lot iirc), it isnt some totally new position. The pace of shlupp needed nullified at that moment of the game so trying to nullify that by having someone keep up with his pace and bringing on fresh leg who would also be able to exploit the FB getting so far forward seemed fine to me. (dont get me wrong, ayew didnt do anything, that doesnt make the reasoning behind the sub bad though)

In a purely positional sense, perhaps. But that doesn't take into account the performances we've seen from Ayew so far, which have been unimpressive. Perhaps Sherwood thought that a two goal lead made this a good time for Ayew to get some more experience, but given the way that Leicester were attacking us - and I think it's important to recognise how much more the Leicester team fought for the win than we did - a more defensive substitution would have made more sense, rather than someone who doesn't yet seem up to the pace of the league.

I think your reasoning is apt.....thats what happens when you accomodate players....he has to fight his way in not be handed it on a plate.....I see a problem of attitude with this player, but I hope I'm wrong.

I hope that rather than a problem of attitude it's more one of experience. The problem with having a young, inexperienced manager taking charge of a team full of newly-signed players is that, by definition, they're going to have to do a lot of their learning on the pitch, which is going to mean a lot of mistakes get made and we're going to drop points. There's still a lot to like about Sherwood, but for the sake of the club I hope he does whatever learning he's going to do quickly. As it is, I still think this season is going to be a tough one and we'll in and about the troublesome end of the league come season's end.

And I know it's the internet where everything is black and white, but I don't think there's anything wrong with liking certain parts of a person's performance and being critical of others (not saying you've said that, I just wanted to mention it without making a second post). Sherwood seems to know how to set the team up and that's praiseworthy, but I have my doubts about his ability to change the shape of a match by altering formation or making subs. These things are not mutually exclusive.

Â