The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Interesting stuff Mark. Have to say you're one of the main posters on here I respect the most and when we were all predicting impending doom around February last season, you were one of the few keeping your head, typing out reasonably balanced posts saying we would win games we needed to as we had better players than most down there and there were three poorer teams in the league.

You were right just...so hopefully again.

My worry is looking at the fixture list we will struggle to win games, partly due to some of the quality we'll be playing in the next two months and partly throughout Sherwood's tenure we've been very weak at defending high balls and corners which lead us to concede sloppy goals and they of course affect results. Don't think that issue will be going away.

I think we'll be in the bottom 6 until the fixtures start to get kinder coming up to December but not sure the fans have the stomach for yet another relegation fight this time.

well on positive side, we played some nice football at times today with Gil, Amavi and Grealish combining well. Put Hutton in to solidify the defence and have Gueye back for Westwood/Sanchez and we be better off. When Leicester got 1 they were always going to win. Ive supported Villa long enough to know that :( ;) 

We can play all the nice football we like, but if the manager is going to **** up, we haven't got a chance.

Just have to hope he wises up and quickly.  It was poor mangerial decisions during the second half that cost us today, but to be fair the team he's building and coaching also played really well at times today.  I am still positive that we have a good squad and these players are more than capable.  In some ways the issue is pretty easy to fix IF Tim has the grace and intelligence to see it and change his own thinking - I just hope his ego and pride don't blind him. We all like attacking football but there's nothing wrong with killing a game once it's won.  

I think we will get better. I'm hoping by the time of the Swansea/Tottenham games we will be looking more of a unit. The fact is though that as a young team - both in age and time spent together as a squad - it was always going to be a tough beginning. Big week this week though.

Fair post Mark but my huge concern is that he isn't learning. Full stop.

Yep agree. For all the valid points Mark raise's,  sending on 2 strikers when your under the cosh and 2 goals up is amateurish. 

I read a post above suggesting he may have thought the game was over, if he genuinely thought the game was won after the second went in then I worry for our season. Playing to whistle/not over till the fat lady sings, all clichés but all day 1 lesson 1 basics. 

Sadly, for all his motivational skills its the basics that he seems to be getting desperately wrong.

Fair post Mark but my huge concern is that he isn't learning. Full stop.

Yep agree. For all the valid points Mark raise's,  sending on 2 strikers when your under the cosh and 2 goals up is amateurish. 

I read a post above suggesting he may have thought the game was over, if he genuinely thought the game was won after the second went in then I worry for our season. Playing to whistle/not over till the fat lady sings, all clichés but all day 1 lesson 1 basics. 

Sadly, for all his motivational skills its the basics that he seems to be getting desperately wrong.

If we we just 1 up, do you honestly think Ayew would've come on? Maybe Gestede I could see that one. We were under the cosh big time at 1 nil so the warning signs were there. I do think at 2 nil he naively thought Leicester would just give up so he started giving likes of Ayew minutes.

I thought the same in the pub, that the game was won at 2 nil but then I don't get paid a couple of million a year to have that mindset.

At the end of the day, I have been critical and feel I have every right to be. I know it hurts some that myself and others want more from the manager and expect more, but I guess that is part of being a football fan.

My view is I will back him till I cannot back him anymore, and right now I still think and hope there is more to come from him. But as I have said before, he needs to show signs that he is learning - pronto.

He sounds gutted in this video

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34240004

Aston Villa manager Tim Sherwood says he has "never felt this bad" after his side's 3-2 loss to Leicester City in which they let a two-goal lead slip.

The interviewer didn't even know what to ask at one point!

Listening again, he sounds like a schoolboy who has just been told off.

I genuinely don't get this 'hel learn' rubbish.

When?

We're not talking about rocket science here. Basics. I make a mistake in my job, I learn and quick. 

It's different though isn't it? Your job isn't the same as his, mine probably not the same as yours, somebody might learn one thing quicker, another person much slower. Unless you are a football manager at a premier league club, I'm not sure you can make that point.

He has rebuilt a side and missing our best midfielder today which was a huge loss going into last 20 minutes, Individual errors have cost us again this week and they will be removed over time. Amavi vs Palace, Clark vs Sunderland and Bacuna and Guzan today have cost us at least 6 points

Interesting only 1 came from a player he has brought in

He also made extremely poor substitutions that had a direct impact on the result. Atrocious display from Tim. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Unfortunately it is looking like a lot of what the Spurs fans said was true. Bizarre substitutions, tactially naive, unable to react to opposition changes and finally blames players to take the attention off himself in interviews.

At the moment it does, but we have to hope he is learning and can see that he is making mistakes. Wilkins needs to step up and offer some good advice too.

Anyone would think he's playing keepers upfront and playing formations that have never been used before. He made a decision that ended up being the wrong one. 

Was anyone questioning if he'll learn when he decided to throw Grealish in a big game? When Gestede came on to score the winner? When Traore came on to get us back in the game at palace? 

There will be times when his decisions work and times when they don't. He's never going to get it right all the time. Especially with a brand new team.

• Like 2

My worry is looking at the fixture list we will struggle to win games, partly due to some of the quality we'll be playing in the next two months and partly throughout Sherwood's tenure we've been very weak at defending high balls and corners which lead us to concede sloppy goals and they of course affect results. Don't think that issue will be going away.

I think we'll be in the bottom 6 until the fixtures start to get kinder coming up to December but not sure the fans have the stomach for yet another relegation fight this time.

I think he knows we haven't been good enough defensively which is why I expect at some point soon we will see a completely new back four from what we finished last season with as I would not be surprised to see Llori in at right back in the coming weeks.

We are only five games into the new season. Five games into a season where we have seen 10 outfield players signed. Today the back four was made up of three new signings, one of which signed less than two weeks ago. It is going to take time for Sherwood to find his best 11, find his best formation and get to know which players are best suited for certain games/situations ie to see out a game or to get you back into a game. Given he has such limited managerial experience himself it is also safe to assume it is going to take Sherwood some time to learn when to be a little more cautions at times in terms of his line ups and how to react in games in terms of his substitutions and to react to the changes the opposing managers make. All of the above can only come with time and that unfortunately will require us as supporters taking a leap of faith and being patient. The alternative is writing certain players and the manager off before they have been been given a fair crack of the whip.

Edited by markavfc40

Anyone would think he's playing keepers upfront and playing formations that have never been used before. He made a decision that ended up being the wrong one. 

Was anyone questioning if he'll learn when he decided to throw Grealish in a big game? When Gestede came on to score the winner? When Traore came on to get us back in the game at palace? 

There will be times when his decisions work and times when they don't. He's never going to get it right all the time. Especially with a brand new team.

No, they were praising him then, and are criticising him now. Is only praise allowed?

No, they were praising him then, and are criticising him now. Is only praise allowed?

yes that's what I've said. Well done. 

I genuienly believe tim in his short time loves this club he knows what a big club we are and what is expected but he is making stupid mistakes.

I want to know why us fans see a substitution different to him i think he needs to sit in the stands for a few weeks to view the game better.

What concerns me is when we played blunderland we needed subs he wouldnt do it he was stubborn. Today we wernt playing well but were in control at 2 -0 yeah we rode are luck but 2 fantastic finishes. Once gil was removed he should have put veretout on on istead he put ayew on ( i have to add ayew is no way good enough simple). Once gil was replaced we fell to bits overrun in midfield bigtime.

I honestly think we will lose to albion and the scum will fancy turning us over. Im not sure what are best formation is but one thing is tim needs to get confidence installed quickly and turn this shit round.

Tim's weakness has been and apparently continues to be his mid game changes. He doesn't seem to be able to react to the other team changing things.

Hope he can work on that. As it stands it has cost us a few times.

• Like 1

yes that's what I've said. Well done. 

I'm probably misreading you then, I thought you were wondering why people didn't question moments of good judgement like they did todays bad judgement. I'm tired and confused.

Â