The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I didn't like his appointment from the outset, so I haven't turned on him after a few bad results and I've been consistent in my belief that the man is a chancer.

Well its obvious to me he hasn't got it what it takes. Sure he shook us out of slumber by adding more energy to our game last season and saved us from the drop - but that was tapering off towards the end of last season - and has continued this season.

Iam not expecting things to get better, I am not overly impressed with the players he has brought. In his favour its very early days - but I see him being under a lot of pressure by christmas TBH. - Other than the 'Unknown' element of Sherwood and his players - I see little evidence that this will turn around.

I think its abit early for this doom and gloom assumption. He deserves up to Christmas at least

He's a idiot. We was clearly getting over run and Instead of bringing veretout pm to shore things up and calm everything down he opts for ayew. He cost us this game and it's not acceptable.. Furious!!

That result yesterday was by far the most worrying since he has been here. Far more than the FA Cup Final or the Southampton defeat.

It's a bit different to most top managers who protect their players and would rather take the blame themselves.  Nearly a sackable offence today, it was gross incompetence on his part.  I just hope to God he learns from this.

The man's a chancer. Always thought so, always will.

Didn't take long for the real stick to start.

Yep, constant mistakes costing us wins and points, how **** dare we!

we'll see. Actions speak louder than words, if it happens again then I will start to worry.

Very much Tactics Tim.

The worrying thing is he never seems to learn from his mistakes. If we lose either of our next two matches, I'd expect him to be sacked.

The cup final, the Southampton game and this game are some absolute record lows in just 5 months in charge. He'll get you performances like he did in the semi final but the lows are so much, much worse than how good the highs are.

2-0 up and losing 3-2 in 30 minutes is pathetic even by Villa's standards. I don't blame people at all for being reactionary, it's a complete **** up by the manager today. He then goes on to blame the players when he brings off a midfielder for an attacker who has shown in his games for us that he's nowhere near the form and standard needed to play in this league!?

Oh dear. He is starting to frighten me with his in-game reactiveness.

If we could get Allardyce in tomorrow, I'd bin him off. 

It seems that whenever he makes a change in game that we subsequently don't win then it's attributed to his changes.

probably because it's blindingly obvious that his changes are at fault.  There have been far more negative impacts as a result of his changes than there have been positive.

Its not inconceivable that a manager of an organisation genuinely doesn't have a clue. Ive worked under a number of them.

I believe our football team has one.

There's just a few. Reactionary rubbish at it's best.

This guy is breath of fresh air for Villa. He saved us last season. He's bought a whole new squad and before the season started people were saying oh it will take us time to gel and we won't see the best of us until the second half of the season. It's 5 bloody games. We are not going to turn into a top 8 club after one transfer window. Especially when we have lost our 2 best players. Yes he made mistakes yesterday but people are overestimating the impact of his decisions. He has one of the most experienced in football next to him. Do we think Ray Wilkins is just letting Sherwood get on with it. It's a collective decision. One that was wrong. Get over it. He's built and exciting squad that will be good for the long term of this club. He will make mistakes and he isn't perfect but some of the reactions on here are just hilarious. 

Maybe read other posts by me as well, instead of pulling up one. 

Apologies I may have gone a bit quote happy :mellow:

I get what you are saying, and sorry if my reply was a little short. I've constantly said over the past 24 hours that we'd be stupid to get rid and he needs time - which is a much better example of my feelings than the above quote. 

I don't Believe the blame for that loss lies in just one area, for me it was a number of factors.

Sure, 2 forwards was a strange one for me , when midfield needed reinforcements.....but how can we be sure Veretout is ready, how can we be sure he would have been the answer.

some posters talk about playing good football in the future, we are playing good football now......its ugly football we are struggling with..... we need to understand how to close a game down and take the points.....get in players faces and upset their rhythm..... we actually aided and abetted them by flying in like headless chickens.

Strangely, before the game, I thought we had little chance, but good football put us in front.....We do lack an enforcer, one who can lead from the front, one who can instigate a pro active mood during a game and not a reactive/apologetic one.

• Like 1

i bet the same people who are saying gil shouldnt be subbed would be saying he should have been subbed if leicester scored from a shlupp cross. He was getting exposed pretty badly down that side before he got subbed off. 

Why do people keep saying ayew is a striker? Hes played both wide and at front in his carear. Hes played the role he was supposed to play yesterday before (played it a lot iirc), it isnt some totally new position. The pace of shlupp needed nullified at that moment of the game so trying to nullify that by having someone keep up with his pace and bringing on fresh leg who would also be able to exploit the FB getting so far forward seemed fine to me. (dont get me wrong, ayew didnt do anything, that doesnt make the reasoning behind the sub bad though)

In a purely positional sense, perhaps. But that doesn't take into account the performances we've seen from Ayew so far, which have been unimpressive. Perhaps Sherwood thought that a two goal lead made this a good time for Ayew to get some more experience, but given the way that Leicester were attacking us - and I think it's important to recognise how much more the Leicester team fought for the win than we did - a more defensive substitution would have made more sense, rather than someone who doesn't yet seem up to the pace of the league.

I think your reasoning is apt.....thats what happens when you accomodate players....he has to fight his way in not be handed it on a plate.....I see a problem of attitude with this player, but I hope I'm wrong.

Who gets the credit for the 1st 70 min? Sherwood is still a young manager he'll learn from this. All these people moaning now I bet were singing his praises until they scored. If it happens more than once it's an issue if it's a one off you can put it down to experience. 

• Like 1

I don't Believe the blame for that loss lies in just one area, for me it was a number of factors.

Sure, 2 forwards was a strange one for me , when midfield needed reinforcements.....but how can we be sure Veretout is ready, how can we be sure he would have been the answer.

some posters talk about playing good football in the future, we are playing good football now......its ugly football we are struggling with..... we need to understand how to close a game down and take the points.....get in players faces and upset their rhythm..... we actually aided and abetted them by flying in like headless chickens.

Strangely, before the game, I thought we had little chance, but good football put us in front.....We do lack an enforcer, one who can lead from the front, one who can instigate a pro active mood during a game and not a reactive/apologetic one.

I agree with a lot of this TRO. I do think though that with our manager what I do want to see is a reaction to the changes the opposition makes and a definitive response which leads me to believe he has spotted the problems occurring during games. Whether or not Veretout is ready I would have like to see the changes reflecting the pattern of the game. I was so obvious yesterday that the midfield required the additional back up in the form of another CM and Bacuna needed assistance down our right. 

I thought the starting line up and formation was spot on and we did play some fantastic football in the first 45min. So he is setting us initially up well, however games are won and lost during the 90 min and if he can't spot danger as it appears we are in for a frustrating time. Still backing him but he needs to shape up just as much as the players imo. 

• Like 1

I'm not too mad looking back on it. I'm still bewildered how Bacuna gets a game and I think Sanchez is incapable of any improvement. But I do think we'll be fine, the team is strong this year, full of talent. Sherwood has been great imo, the only thing letting him down is his substitute decisions, but they are a major fault and costing us points, but I think he'll learn soon enough.

I'm not too mad looking back on it. I'm still bewildered how Bacuna gets a game and I think Sanchez is incapable of any improvement. But I do think we'll be fine, the team is strong this year, full of talent. Sherwood has been great imo, the only thing letting him down is his substitute decisions, but they are a major fault and costing us points, but I think he'll learn soon enough.

He's been a breath of fresh air, but don't let the nice smell distract you from what's occurring. Evaluated on his managerial record thus far gets him a passing grade, but on a downward trajectory. Transfer business appears to be somewhat hit and miss, but it's very early in the season to really make a call on that. Either way, great is way too complimentary, particularly on this particular Monday.

Yes the 2 subs look poor seeing as we didn't ge tthe third goal he thought they might bring, seemed to have been the turning point for Leciester to press on to us much much more. It's all very well shouting keep the ball at them, but even when Hutton came on had we introduced Veretout for a forward we may have saved a point.

Going to be very interesting now what reaction Sherwood can get from these players, after that post match interview you would think the team have got a massive bollocking today that may well continue in to tomorrow ;) 

Depends how well they react I suppose, are they still on double training? 9 - 3?

Shame there is no one to give Sherwood a massive bollocking, as he was more at fault for that defeat than the players.

which is a potential source of conflict between him and his players, which is why i think ti could be interesting how they react.

I like him, and have always liked him.....I'm not sure what he will learn, I think you learn more from winning than losing.

However, some things on the training ground are easier to instill in players than others.

some things are intrinsic and thats my worry.....are they of the character to be in the trenches with.

Leicester are essentially a bunch of Journey men.....and so was we back in 1980, but we had square pegs in square holes and round pegs in rounds holes, we had method and above all a will to win and a spirit to see the game out....much like them.....We could go nose to nose, toe to toe.

Its all very well having these expansive players and no one loves watching them more than me.....but they have to be "at it "..regularly( not now and again or odd moments.....and they need a few minders in the team to look after them, I'm not sure we have that

Leicesters offensive players Vardy, Albrighton,Mahrez, Ulloa are "at it" more often than not.....and they have a few who can "put their foot in" and come out with the ball.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I like that Tim was responsive to the game's developments (in some ways) and willing to take a risk. I just don't like how it worked out. But it's as you say, not just one thing. You saw a stark contrast in team cohesion on Sunday. Sadly, Tim seemed to trip his own players up, just as they were figuring out how to deal with a Juggernaut/locomotive of a team in Leicester.

I agree with a lot of this TRO. I do think though that with our manager what I do want to see is a reaction to the changes the opposition makes and a definitive response which leads me to believe he has spotted the problems occurring during games. Whether or not Veretout is ready I would have like to see the changes reflecting the pattern of the game. I was so obvious yesterday that the midfield required the additional back up in the form of another CM and Bacuna needed assistance down our right. 

I thought the starting line up and formation was spot on and we did play some fantastic football in the first 45min. So he is setting us initially up well, however games are won and lost during the 90 min and if he can't spot danger as it appears we are in for a frustrating time. Still backing him but he needs to shape up just as much as the players imo. 

not arguing with any of that.....just putting a slightly different slant on JUST blaming the manager, If we had of brought on Vardy & Ulloa it might have not needed a midfielder

just being devils advocate......I think the mistake he made was trying to give Ayew game time/experience in a game that we was not as in control of as he thought.

Its going to be a tough season.....I think we have the footballers, but not the characters ( Richards/Lescott) excepted

Â