The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

The problems were Bacuna playing like he was a schoolboy not being subbed and replaced with Hutton

A striker bought on instead of a midfielder when were losing every 50/50 in the middle of the park

We could have even brought on Clark to shore things up there was only 20 minutes to go and he keeps harping on about this mystical formation change to 3 at the back

Edited by AshVilla

Despite the substitutes failing to contribute.....when teams press us we collapse.

when we have space..... we resemble a top team, get in our faces and we resemble  a relegation team.

Leicester have spirit.....we don't I'm afraid.

I find myself increasingly annoyed by Sherwood's post game sulks.  The interview he gave to the BBC after the game just struck me as him looking like a guy I'd have no confidence in in a crisis. He seemed dumbstruck, he just didn't know what to day. If a squad are looking to someone for leadership then should it be a guy who sits there with his head in his hands in despair?

I'm of the opinion that interviews and press conferences are read into too much by villatalk. I thought that the abuse Lambert got for his post game interviews was ridiculous and I would afford Sherwood the same luxury (hence my sarcastic comment above)

However, the post Leicester interview is the kind of things we would be slating somebody for if it was another team's manager.

I like that Sherwood cares. He's gutted. But it made him come across as a little naive. Sulking isn't the approach to take in that situation.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

I find myself increasingly annoyed by Sherwood's post game sulks.  The interview he gave to the BBC after the game just struck me as him looking like a guy I'd have no confidence in in a crisis. He seemed dumbstruck, he just didn't know what to day. If a squad are looking to someone for leadership then should it be a guy who sits there with his head in his hands in despair?

.......Oh I think he knew what to say alright.....I think he thought better left unsaid, in public anyway.

maybe he needs to get his boots back out.

Hey, everyone is angry and sad and depressed!  Yet we're all still composed and intelligent.  We deserve better.  And I believe we will get it.  This is one of these moments that Sherwood, if he is the man he thinks he is, will have to come back from.  In particular his BBC interview, there was the look of a man who KNEW he had done everything right, and yet things still blew up in his face.  That's what football, and indeed life, is like Tim.  Now, how tough, and how smart, are you really?

Incidentally, it should be mentioned, this league seems markedly harder this season, the quality of coaching and playing unusually, and excitingly, high.  Don't know if this makes things any better, but... ultimately, how do you become better at anything?  You play better opponents.  Keep the faith.

• Like 3

I've not really said much about Sherwood as I didn't know what to make of him.

I like the guy however he strikes me as a good coach but poor manager, a good eye for a player but cluess in how to fit them in team.

He also has a big ego which I fear will cost us dear as he will blame everyone but himself. Yes against Palace and Leicester individual errors cost us but in both games his mistakes in not being able to adjust to the oppositions changes are the root cause for these errors.

In short we are once again in trouble.

Young manager in his first full season, team full of young players new to the league...this one was on him, other losses will be on the players. We played well for most of ghe game, plentynof positive signs. Two massive voids in the side today in Gana and Adama.

Gil and Grealish both scored stunners.

Brutal loss intypical Villa style, but with a larger view, I think we will be alright. Hopefully Sherwood wont feel compelled to make substitutions because he can. There was no need to changeva thing when he decided to be clever.

• Like 1

imo theres more positives than negatives in that game. I thought his team selection was spot on. Gil was outstanding. Grealish finally scored. Our two centre backs looked really good (despite the last 30 minutes)

I think Illori or Crespo may be given a chance at RB once match fit. Gueye played against City we would not have lost that game.. Westwood and Sanchez just got overrun.. they couldnt cope when Mahrez went central and thats when Sherwood should have played Veretout. Sanchez and Westwood were great in the first half but Dyer and Mahrez positional switch killed us and Sherwood did nothing to nullify it. Taking off Gil was crazy.. HE JUST SCORED. Yeah.. he may not be match fit but he would have been buzzing for at least 10 more minutes and god knows what we could have created on the back of it. We needed an extra midfielder and bringing on two bang average strikers was not the answer. I would have kept Gabby on to help Bacuna.

Sherwood just completely bodged it even though he had it right.. 3rd game now where he has been beaten tactically by his opposition manager.

What should he have learnt?

1. Bacuna should not be our regular RB.

2. Ayew is awful and needs time on the training paddock. Kozak should return to the bench.

3. Gabby is not a starter.

4. Gil should start every match. He is our lynch pin in midfield.. he drops deep and collects the ball and links the attack to Grealish or in the future Traore as well.

5. Westwood is awful on set pieces. Use Grealish or Gil.

Edited by KSV
  • Like 2

imo theres more positives than negatives in that game. I thought his team selection was spot on. Gil was outstanding. Grealish finally scored. Our two centre backs looked really good (despite the last 30 minutes)

I think Illori or Crespo may be given a chance at RB once match fit. Gueye played against City we would not have lost that game.. Westwood and Sanchez just got overrun.. they couldnt cope when Mahrez went central and thats when Sherwood should have played Veretout. Sanchez and Westwood were great in the first half but Dyer and Mahrez positional switch killed us and Sherwood did nothing to nullify it. Taking off Gil was crazy.. HE JUST SCORED. Yeah.. he may not be match fit but he would have been buzzing for at least 10 more minutes and god knows what we could have created on the back of it. We needed an extra midfielder and bringing on two bang average strikers was not the answer. I would have kept Gabby on to help Bacuna.

Sherwood just completely bodged it even though he had it right.. 3rd game now where he has been beaten tactically by his opposition manager.

2. Ayew is awful and needs time on the training paddock. Kozak should return to the bench.

4. Gil should start every match. He is our lynch pin in midfield.. he drops deep and collects the ball and links the attack to Grealish or in the future Traore as well.

Excellent post. Agree with every point

Gil was struggling with an injury as he pointed out n the Sky Sports interview.

• Like 1

While massively disappointing and frustrating, I'm not worried about our season on that display. We play some good stuff, and have some real attacking threats and creativity for the first time in years. Tim will learn from this (I ***** hope so at least) and will see out games like this.

Gil was struggling with an injury as he pointed out n the Sky Sports interview.

his last kick of the game was the goal... he wasnt struggling putting the ball in the net. Again.. despite this.. i dont have a problem with him going off.. but a midfielder should have come on.. or Bacuna to midfield and Hutton at RB. Ayew and Gestede was wrong. You can see the match thread everyone was saying it.. i just dont understand how he cant see it. Maybe he should sit in the stands like the last time we beat Leicester in the Cup.

his last kick of the game was the goal... he wasnt struggling putting the ball in the net. Again.. despite this.. i dont have a problem with him going off.. but a midfielder should have come on.. or Bacuna to midfield and Hutton at RB. Ayew and Gestede was wrong. You can see the match thread everyone was saying it.. i just dont understand how he cant see it. Maybe he should sit in the stands like the last time we beat Leicester in the Cup.

Aye, this is concerning. You are up 2 - nil away from home with 20 minutes left. What do you do?

You stack the midfield and/or put on more defenders and close it out. It's hardly rocket surgery.

Â