The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Calm down - it's only 2 players affected.

Where did the two players thing come from? In the press conference he said "a couple". While in correct usage that should be two, it is more commonly used as a few (and my impression was that it was more than two judging by the way he was talking about it).

Tim has won only 1 competitive game (Bournemouth, 1-0) out of the last 6 played?

It's two out of the last seven. But I think it's only fair to start the count from the start of this season being as though it's pretty much a new team.

• Like 1

As one who has called Mr Sherwood tactically inept and has suggested, without using the words, that he has been clueless, with the personnel used in the formations he has used. I have also condemned his apparent slowness to recognise when things are not working and in changing them.

To those who say it is too early to criticise, I say no it isn't.

When you see something so blatantly wrong in one line-up and the exact same line-up is used in the following match, that would suggest to me at least, that the one in charge of picking the personnel for that formation, is either too stubborn to admit, even to themselves, that they are capable of making an error in judgement, or just not too quick in recognising when things aren't quite right.

Quite like thinking Agbonlahor is a footballer, or Westwood shits solid gold bricks.

I have been a supporter since, as my site name would suggest, 1958. That is for 57 years and I think that that amount of time following this club, gives me the right to criticise when I see something wrong, especially when the same mistakes are being repeated.

As for those who say the manager needs time to work out where a player plays best, I say, rubbish.

A manager should know what formations he favours against different clubs. He should then only purchase players he has had extensively scouted, that he knows can play in those formations. 

Purchasing players and then having to spend time finding out where and how they can play in different formations, smells like rank amateurism to me.

Now I am more than willing to give Mr Sherwood time but, I would like to see a little proof that he is learning.

One way of showing that proof of learning, would be in not making obvious errors consistently.

Still reads like a vendetta

As you've been a Villa fan for so longer I would have thought you would have more patience? If you are being this critical of Sherwood who has only had a handful of games with his signings, what did you think of McNeil, Turner, Venglos, O'Leary, McLeish and Lambert? 

As managers go, I'm much happier with what we have now than what has been here for the last few years. Yes, he will make mistakes but all managers do. I think you are overly critical because you don't like him

• Like 1

As one who has called Mr Sherwood tactically inept and has suggested, without using the words, that he has been clueless, with the personnel used in the formations he has used. I have also condemned his apparent slowness to recognise when things are not working and in changing them.

To those who say it is too early to criticise, I say no it isn't.

When you see something so blatantly wrong in one line-up and the exact same line-up is used in the following match, that would suggest to me at least, that the one in charge of picking the personnel for that formation, is either too stubborn to admit, even to themselves, that they are capable of making an error in judgement, or just not too quick in recognising when things aren't quite right.

Quite like thinking Agbonlahor is a footballer, or Westwood shits solid gold bricks.

I have been a supporter since, as my site name would suggest, 1958. That is for 57 years and I think that that amount of time following this club, gives me the right to criticise when I see something wrong, especially when the same mistakes are being repeated.

As for those who say the manager needs time to work out where a player plays best, I say, rubbish.

A manager should know what formations he favours against different clubs. He should then only purchase players he has had extensively scouted, that he knows can play in those formations. 

Purchasing players and then having to spend time finding out where and how they can play in different formations, smells like rank amateurism to me.

Now I am more than willing to give Mr Sherwood time but, I would like to see a little proof that he is learning.

One way of showing that proof of learning, would be in not making obvious errors consistently.

Still reads like a vendetta

As you've been a Villa fan for so longer I would have thought you would have more patience? If you are being this critical of Sherwood who has only had a handful of games with his signings, what did you think of McNeil, Turner, Venglos, O'Leary, McLeish and Lambert? 

As managers go, I'm much happier with what we have now than what has been here for the last few years. Yes, he will make mistakes but all managers do. I think you are overly critical because you don't like him

Got that list is dreadful, all horrible memories apart from O'Leary who actually started off doing a pretty good job before it went tits up

I don't think it's too early to judge Sherwood either. He has been here since Feb and has roughly a 50% win record. If he keeps that up I'd expect even his biggest haters would be happy!! What you can't judge him on is how the players are settling and how they are or are going to perform its way to early to do that. As for judging the players who've been here a while Gabby has been in the team for nearly 10 years and I for one hope he'll get replaced sooner rather than later but it may be just a bit early for some of the new guys to take his place especially if we are playing 2 up front. As for Westwood who always seems to get stick. He has been playing well and deserves his place in the team at the minute.

On the tactics Tim thing, I think it's clear he has some big tactical blind spots. The Southampton game last season and the Cup FInal stand out as obvious examples.

But as long as he learns from those, which I certainly think he is doing or is capable of then I'm ok. We'll win more games than we have before with his style of management.

I think any weaknesses so far this season are a result of the team being so new. If we're struggling in 10 games time then the criticicism may be valid.

Those criticising the cup game as some sort of tactical ineptitude are crazy, imo. It wasn't.

Good points made there!

TS said himself that the team was set up too open in the cup game and that he wouldn't leave us that exposed in a league game. He said he felt that he had to do it because of players needing game time and I agree with him for doing it.

I like Tim Sherwood and I want him to do well, Just a few points:

• He does need time as all managers do, but with so many new faces and from foreign leagues it will be more necessary to be patient.
  • I think too much emphasis is placed on tactics & formations by fans, so many other factors are reliant on a good result like mental approach and self belief in dominating your opposite number.
  • All Managers never have enough money for players, but the ones who are successful buy less duds than the ones that fail.....Tim is no exception.
  • Tim Sherwood is a relatively new manager, hopefully he will do well and grow with us. If he was absolute dynamite, chances are we would only have him for 2 seasons, before any building can be done .... we want sustainable progress.
  • The modern game with all the media money is less reliant on gate receipts hence the wherewithal from smaller clubs to compete for players.... we have lost a bit of advantage of gate money being negated.
  • The demise that we have experienced in the last 10 years will not be rectified in one or 2 seasons, but I do believe the more successful transfer business we do ( i.e players coming off)will speed the process up....but you do need a bit of lady luck.
  • Some elements of the business take more time than others, so it can be very subjective, when some say he can be judged straight away and others say he needs time.....Things have different time scales.
  • Just remember too...We haven't got an Owner who is willing to fast track any manager Inc Tim Sherwood.....It seems like he thinks he has done it once and judging by the results, won't be doing it again ( unfortunately for us)
Edited by TRO

We need a good xmas this year.

We were actually quite comfortable in the league after Man. United at home last season but then facked up the winnable xmas games which set us on the downward spiral and Lambert out of the job.

Looking at xmas this year we've got Newcastle away, West Ham home, Norwich and Sunderland away and then Leicester and Palace at home. That's over a four week period.

Aside from the travelling, that's a great run of fixtures and I can't see us having relegation issues if we get a few wins then as I'd assume we'd have 20 odd points on the board before we play those games so xmas is a crucial period for Tim this season as you'd expect the new signings to be up to speed then.

We don't seem to have general match threads(?) so might as well post here.

For the most part, we were pretty good today I thought.  Dominated a poor Sunderland side but unable to find a winner (Richards could've/should've maybe).

ANNOYANCE:  Pantilimon is booked for time wasting.  Wastes time going into 4 minutes of stoppage time.  Wastes further time, referee indicates he's adding it on by tapping his watch.  Ref blows for full time at 94:03.  WHY?

• Like 1

Pretty shocking team selection by him today.

62% possession, 21 shots.

Why was it "shocking"?

EdIt:  Also, in the first half, we were by a **** mile the better side.  Toivonen coming on for Sunderland basically gave them a way back into the game as he dominated centre mid.

Edited by bobzy

Â