The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Criticism is fine and is good to read and debate, but only if its actually backed up. Cluess and tactics tim, just because he made a decision someone didn't want him to seems pretty daft to me. I didn't see the point criticising little things last year, as all that mattered was the short term goal of surviving. But as the team is becoming his and the goals are changing I think it's fair to criticise if he deserves it. But we're 4 games in and we've won 2 of them, so at the moment for me he doesn't deserve it.

As an aside, I berate people for saying he's clueless, or tactically naive etc ( as opposed to them disagreeing with him, which is all good and fine), and I would make exactly the same point about Lambert, since he was mentioned.

He may have done one or a million things some people didn't like but to call him clueless is just plain wrong. He would have all the tactical and player knowledge of any of us, and far more besides.

Thats my point. You can argue with their style, their choices, whether they are pursuing a course different to the one you think best, and so on.

But it isn't because they are idiots, clueless, or lacking knowledge. To take that line is, in my view, needlessly disrespectful, a bit patronising, and really rather ignorant in the true sense of the word.

It's a subtle difference and maybe as someone says above those of us who don't like it should maybe ignore it.

So far we are averaging just 2 shots on target per game in the league.

Early days yet, but this needs to be improved on asap (and I'm sure it will against Sunderland at least)

Edited by sne

It is strange how people who did not go feel we were lucky but those there felt it was just a matter of time till we won. Then again I was in the top holte and two blokes nearly came to blows because the one thought the other was being negative all through the match. I have been going down the Villa for 44 years and can honestly say it was the strangest feeling I have ever had watching a game. Even though we kept going behind you just knew we could break through their defence with ease and score again.

If that was about four rows from the front of the upper I saw that happen too. It ended peacefully enough but it did get a little feisty at one point. It reminded me of some of the fans having a go (rightfully in my opinion) at other fans for jeering Richardson against qpr.

• Like 1

So far we are averaging just 2 shots at goal per game in the league.

Early days yet, but this needs to be improved on asap (and I'm sure it will against Sunderland at least)

You mean on target?

Yup

Everyone is entitled to their opinion I think most just want explanations on how you get to those views. That's why I'm baffled how people form an opinion on a score line it's bad enough at the end of a game but during is unbelievable. If you're watching it you can judge if you're just reading a vidi printer you can say it's not good enough but you can't question how we are playing as you don't know. Imagine forming your opinion on Gregg Evans match reports in the Mail. It's just silly.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion I think most just want explanations on how you get to those views. That's why I'm baffled how people form an opinion on a score line it's bad enough at the end of a game but during is unbelievable. If you're watching it you can judge if you're just reading a vidi printer you can say it's not good enough but you can't question how we are playing as you don't know. Imagine forming your opinion on Gregg Evans match reports in the Mail. It's just silly.

Indeed, I think even worse than vthat...some opinions formed on a BBC text commentary that said for the first 10 mins "0mins game kicked off".

I'll just hold my hand up here and say I genuinely didn't know that calling him Tactics Tim was usually done negatively. I thought it must have been playing on some old quote where he referenced the work he puts into opponents or something. Well there you go. That's how I used it anyway.

Yes I've never fully got the "Tactics Tim" nickname. I can tell that at best it's used mock affectionately but mostly appears to be used to undermine his abilities.

But I don't quite get what started it, not sure if he gave an interview and stressed the word tactics during it.

As one who has called Mr Sherwood tactically inept and has suggested, without using the words, that he has been clueless, with the personnel used in the formations he has used. I have also condemned his apparent slowness to recognise when things are not working and in changing them.

To those who say it is too early to criticise, I say no it isn't.

When you see something so blatantly wrong in one line-up and the exact same line-up is used in the following match, that would suggest to me at least, that the one in charge of picking the personnel for that formation, is either too stubborn to admit, even to themselves, that they are capable of making an error in judgement, or just not too quick in recognising when things aren't quite right.

Quite like thinking Agbonlahor is a footballer, or Westwood shits solid gold bricks.

I have been a supporter since, as my site name would suggest, 1958. That is for 57 years and I think that that amount of time following this club, gives me the right to criticise when I see something wrong, especially when the same mistakes are being repeated.

As for those who say the manager needs time to work out where a player plays best, I say, rubbish.

A manager should know what formations he favours against different clubs. He should then only purchase players he has had extensively scouted, that he knows can play in those formations. 

Purchasing players and then having to spend time finding out where and how they can play in different formations, smells like rank amateurism to me.

Now I am more than willing to give Mr Sherwood time but, I would like to see a little proof that he is learning.

One way of showing that proof of learning, would be in not making obvious errors consistently.

• Like 2

I don't see that he has been here with this current squad long enough to be doing anything to a degree that you could call consistent. He doesn't have a large enough data set to be able to say he is doing anything consistently - be that in a positive or a negative sense.

Yes I've never fully got the "Tactics Tim" nickname. I can tell that at best it's used mock affectionately but mostly appears to be used to undermine his abilities.

But I don't quite get what started it, not sure if he gave an interview and stressed the word tactics during it.

As spurs manager it was just cool for the media to mock him. I think it developed from them and spurs fans who didn't like him.

I think we can take the insult back and re-purpose it. He changed the game against Bournemouth with his substitutions so that's a start :)

As one who has called Mr Sherwood tactically inept and has suggested, without using the words, that he has been clueless, with the personnel used in the formations he has used. I have also condemned his apparent slowness to recognise when things are not working and in changing them.

To those who say it is too early to criticise, I say no it isn't.

When you see something so blatantly wrong in one line-up and the exact same line-up is used in the following match, that would suggest to me at least, that the one in charge of picking the personnel for that formation, is either too stubborn to admit, even to themselves, that they are capable of making an error in judgement, or just not too quick in recognising when things aren't quite right.

Quite like thinking Agbonlahor is a footballer, or Westwood shits solid gold bricks.

I have been a supporter since, as my site name would suggest, 1958. That is for 57 years and I think that that amount of time following this club, gives me the right to criticise when I see something wrong, especially when the same mistakes are being repeated.

As for those who say the manager needs time to work out where a player plays best, I say, rubbish.

A manager should know what formations he favours against different clubs. He should then only purchase players he has had extensively scouted, that he knows can play in those formations. 

Purchasing players and then having to spend time finding out where and how they can play in different formations, smells like rank amateurism to me.

Now I am more than willing to give Mr Sherwood time but, I would like to see a little proof that he is learning.

One way of showing that proof of learning, would be in not making obvious errors consistently.

Pretty longwinded way of saying 'I've been a fan for years and years so clearly I know what is right and wrong' to be honest. You clearly think you know better than the manager and so base your opinions on that.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 2

I was under the impression it's because he hasn't really got any, he's a wind them up send them out type manager who isn't bothered with the intricacies of the game, as a result the Spurs fans thought that he would only ever take them so far and never push them on to where they think they should be (:lol:) didn't they lose all their big games under him?

And I'm not sure they're that wrong tbf I can see him being a great motivator and confidence builder and getting some blood and guts wins but I can't ever see the words "masterminded a victory" being written next to his name

I formed my opinion on him after reading his reports. He is a shit journalist

• Like 1

I formed my opinion on him after reading his reports. He is a shit journalist

Yep, I hate reading anything he writes.. so try not to now!

I was under the impression it's because he hasn't really got any, he's a wind them up send them out type manager who isn't bothered with the intricacies of the game, as a result the Spurs fans thought that he would only ever take them so far and never push them on to where they think they should be ( :lol:) didn't they lose all their big games under him?

And I'm not sure they're that wrong tbf I can see him being a great motivator and confidence builder and getting some blood and guts wins but I can't ever see the words "masterminded a victory" being written next to his name

They were after the FA Cup Semi-Final. 

Look, I don't think he's a 'tactical genius'. As has been said already, he's new to top-level management and is finding his identity. He's also been in tough situations - forbidden from buying anyone in his transfer window at Spurs, the spine of his team sold this summer - so with a large amount of turnover in players, it's natural that he's still finding the system and style that suits him. I believe he'll get there (probably with many mistakes along the way) and I'm happy to wait for the time being. 

Â