The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I think you're missing out the other end of the spectrum, which seems to be populated by people who take offence to anything remotely negative that is levelled at him.

I'm on the fence RE: Sherwood. I don't hate him and I don't want him to fail - It's pretty tiring being told that I'm a hater, when I'm not.

This.

I'm not on the fence with Sherwood. I'm fully backing him. He's doing a great job and until he shows he can't take this club forward he'll get my backing all the way. He's not even close to showing that yet so it's happy days.

But

it was obvious last season that there were those who couldn't handle even a shred of criticism being pointed in his direction.

But you get that with any manager. Just different people doing it. That's VillaTalk for you

Same for me too.

Is it still to early to judge?

Look how eager you were, didn't even let the game finish before you came out with this :lol: .
Well a 5-3 extra time win over Notts County at home doesn't ease the fears I have over TS.

I don't need anymore time to know that that team selection was beyond ridiculous.

Last night he got away with it, but his decision making towards games has been poor imo.

Did you go last night? Because was no way to watch it otherwise.
No. Not sure what that has to do with it.

I dont need to go to know he pushed his luck with the lineup with some utterly bizarre chances.

Go back to early yesterday in the match thread. All I ask for us to do was no **** about, and just win the game comfortably.

Yeah he won the game. Can't argue and I'm delighted. But I wasn't impressed with the approach to the game.

No he won't pick that team everyday but I've not been impressed with his approach to a lot of the games.

It's like he feels his cockyness will get him through.

I'm sorry Tom, I don't see how it is possible to hold such an opinion without watching the game. How can you tell with any confidence what the approach was? The reports I have read from VillaTalkers who were there are arguably very positive regarding our approach.

I don't really understand that last part regarding "cockiness". That seems like a media fueled opinion. We were far from cocky in our first two games, gambled a bit against Palace and lost to human error, last night was clearly an aberration and has been explained as such by the man himself. An aberration we won.

This cockiness kept us up last season and got us to an FA Cup final too.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

It's pretty clear that Tim divides opinions on here - some people decided, as soon as he was appointed, that they weren't going to like him . It's almost as if certain people would love to see him fail.   I think he's great.  He has so much personality and charisma.  I don't find it to be "cockiness" at all - he is just what we need right now .   I do have great respect for the posters on here who admitted that they didn't want him and weren't happy but now say that they have changed their minds.  That's fair enough.   Others, just seem to have their own Agenda.

Last night's game was so exciting - the best entertainment we've had for a while - all of us around me said the same.   

I now skip through posts using the words "tactically naive" "tactics Tim" "cocky" etc.   Strange though that,  at Villa Park itself, and away grounds, the fans there seem to be right behind him in the main.   He is learning yes, but he can grow and Villa can grow again with him.   I would also think that all decisions aren't just down to Tim alone.  He is bound to consult with Ray Wilkins and the others.  

For me, it's very much a case of "Tim Sherwood's Claret and Blue Army"  - onwards and upwards

That was the most entertainment since the Blackburn semi final 2nd leg

In the interests of balance I thought the decision to give away the middle of the park against Palace was a poor one. But that isn't why we lost the game. He was right to do *something*, but not that.

It is somewhat balanced by bringing Adama on.

It's pretty clear that Tim divides opinions on here - some people decided, as soon as he was appointed, that they weren't going to like him . It's almost as if certain people would love to see him fail.   I think he's great.  He has so much personality and charisma.  I don't find it to be "cockiness" at all - he is just what we need right now .   I do have great respect for the posters on here who admitted that they didn't want him and weren't happy but now say that they have changed their minds.  That's fair enough.   Others, just seem to have their own Agenda.

Last night's game was so exciting - the best entertainment we've had for a while - all of us around me said the same.   

I now skip through posts using the words "tactically naive" "tactics Tim" "cocky" etc.   Strange though that,  at Villa Park itself, and away grounds, the fans there seem to be right behind him in the main.   He is learning yes, but he can grow and Villa can grow again with him.   I would also think that all decisions aren't just down to Tim alone.  He is bound to consult with Ray Wilkins and the others.  

For me, it's very much a case of "Tim Sherwood's Claret and Blue Army"  - onwards and upwards

That was the most entertainment since the Blackburn semi final 2nd leg

Interesting that everyone who was there thoroughly enjoyed the game, and were convinced we would prevail in the end. Speaking personally, following the game on SSN and the OS text, I was sure we had blown it and were struggling to another cup humiliation.  (Note to self - have more faith in future.)

It is never going to be dull with Sherwood in charge.  :)

It seems the only people who moaned about last nights performance are the ones who never watched it. Sherwood said afterwards he knew we'd be open but the players needed game time and he was confident we'd go through yet some ignore this to push their own anti Sherwood agenda. I thought so called tactics Tim and his 442 myth was dispelled last year when he out smarted Rodgers and very rarely played 442 but it seems some have short memories. Last night we achieved everything and more of what we wanted. We are through. Our players showed great character and also got some much needed game time. It also highlighted what we all know that we need strengthening at the back. We are a couple of players away from having a very strong squad now it's over to TS to get them in.

There is a glut of overreaction, from the same names that spent the match either in the in-match thread (probably not at the game) or simply complaining about lack of any live coverage.  The mind boggles that so much intricate detail can be gleaned from either reading about or hearing from the AVTV stream some commentary of the actual match.

After the first ten minutes of Andy Blair and Jack I was left with no idea whether what I was listening to was even about Villa, let alone about the game itself.....at one point the list of names Woodward was mangling (so called 'shout outs', presumably because that is the response it produces from those of us hearing it) sounded like it contained every fan who wasn't at the game.

• Like 1

Haha so many so desperate to jump on him. He sent out a line up that we will never see in an important game, he gave minutes and chances to those that needed it. He sent a team out to out score the opposition and we did. Save it till next time.

Bit late to the party but fully agree. The knicker wetting from some people in this thread while the game was still in progress was ridiculous, It concerns me how quick certain people are to want to jump on his back after only a few games in charge with his signings. Its like the complete opposite of the previous manager who was given a lot of leeway.

Haha so many so desperate to jump on him. He sent out a line up that we will never see in an important game, he gave minutes and chances to those that needed it. He sent a team out to out score the opposition and we did. Save it till next time.

Bit late to the party but fully agree. The knicker wetting from some people in this thread while the game was still in progress was ridiculous, It concerns me how quick certain people are to want to jump on his back after only a few games in charge with his signings. Its like the complete opposite of the previous manager who was given a lot of leeway.

I might be wrong, but I can only see one person who is absolutely anti Sherwood. Most are saying he deserves time and will get time. Happy to be proved wrong.

Last night was just further proof that our manager is tactically inept.

He is a great motivator but, that is nowhere near enough.

In the league games so far, he has played 3 defensive midfielders in Westwood, is there really a need to comment. Veretout, who has only played as a central, or attacking midfielder, on rare occasions, when filling in because of injuries. Gueye who has been a DM his entire career until last season, when again because of team injury, he was used as a box-to-box player.

And of course Sanchez had time on the pitch.

How, in the name of Christ, can a manager expect a midfield consisting of 3 Dm's to create chances for a forward line consisting, in the first two games of 3 left-wingers.  

Agbonlahor has played left wing for 2 years, mainly I suspect because he couldn't hit the ground if he jumped out of a window.

Sinclair has always been a left winger.

Ayew has also always been a left winger, until last season, when he filled in, in a central striker role because of long-term club injuries.

Playing 6 of those 7 players in the same team means a lack of pace in trying to create.

An impossibility to create for strikers who inevitably take the same ground.

This means a totally unbalanced team.

Another failing in the manager is his failure to understand that changes can be made before the 70th minute. For example the cup final against Arsenal, many fans were calling for tactical and personnel changes after 10 minutes but, the manager failed to act. Either because he didn't see what was wrong or, he was just to full of his own ego to see he'd got it totally wrong. 

Bollocks

I was going to write a in-depth reply to the original post but I think KHV has summed it up perfectly.

• Like 1

I might be wrong, but I can only see one person who is absolutely anti Sherwood. Most are saying he deserves time and will get time. Happy to be proved wrong.

There are 4 or 5 names that jump out for me that appear to have made their mind up that they don't like him and never will. I guess its not that many when you think about it but its just bizarre that you can form such an opinion so early on and seemingly not prepared to budge on it

However, I've got it off my chest now so i'm happier!  :)

There are 4 or 5 names that jump out for me that appear to have made their mind up that they don't like him and never will. I guess its not that many when you think about it but its just bizarre that you can form such an opinion so early on and seemingly not prepared to budge on it

However, I've got it off my chest now so i'm happier!  :)

At the same time there were a lot who were honest at the start, who said they were not too sure about Sherwood (erm.. myself, Stevo, Trent (?) Omariqy (?)) who have all come out and praised Tim when he has done good, but shared concerns when we feel he might have made mistakes - which is fair. And we are also quick to say it's still far too early to judge (which it is, way too early). And like I said, I can only think of one person who seems to want Sherwood out. I think people confuse the fact that people are making a fair criticism based on opinion, with wanting a manager out. They aren't exclusive to each other - and some do seem blind to any bad Sherwood does, so it works both ways.

Edit: (I'm having a brain fart day today, my spelling and grammar is awful)

Edited by DK82

Im backing him, but he has got so much work to do with this squad. If he can turn this brand new team into midtable as we all expecting, even higher maybe, he would have done an amazing job. Unfortunately I don't think at this time he is a amazing manager, so we need to look at this long term and I worry about us this season.

As said before im so glad we have Wilkins, I think his experience will help Sherwood no end, an to reach the goals we all expect of our great club.

I don't think people openly want him sacked but there were quite a few who called him clueless or mocked him as some sort of tactics moron.

New squad, a lot of players needing match fitness so they all got a run out, Tim himself said he knew we would be open so all in all a good exercise as most of the players needeing a run out are attack minded. it was a risky plan but I would rather see some risky attacking goal fest football than watching 90 mins of sideways passing like we did against Orient and being bored to tears.

I don't think people openly want him sacked but there were quite a few who called him clueless or mocked him as some sort of tactics moron.

He is a tactics moron though.

(Joke!)

My personal opinion on that... I don't think he has a style or formation yet and/or he is still trying to figure out where he is as a coach. He needs to find his style soon though, having 10 new players and a manager without a particular style could get messy. I guess we're looking at a period where they are all learning about each other - so good/bad will happen.

Whilst that might be a slight criticism from me, it doesn't mean I want him sacked. If we go and beat Sunderland 5-0 and they don't get a look in, I will praise him for setting the team up too! :)

New squad, a lot of players needing match fitness so they all got a run out, Tim himself said he knew we would be open so all in all a good exercise as most of the players needeing a run out are attack minded. it was a risky plan but I would rather see some risky attacking goal fest football than watching 90 mins of sideways passing like we did against Orient and being bored to tears.

Agree and like its been said, Sherwood knew exactly what he was doing and did it for a reason. The fact the same names couldn't wait to try and think this before slamming him while the game was going on, shows that there are some who are just waiting for him to fail and want to jump on anything they can.

Â